PDA

View Full Version : Bob's Cuda on the dyno today

barraza
03-10-2006, 12:47 PM
I got to see Bob Johnsons Cuda make several dyno runs today. WOW, it is cooler than all the pictures. Sorry I didn't get any shots, my camera was dead. Alan was taking video, I guess he will post it on his site. It sounded good but they were working out some FI/Ignition bugs so no final HP numbers, I think they were at about 560hp when I left - more to come.

In person, Bob is just like you would expect from his posts, not very politically correct and a lot of fun to talk to.

I hope he gets to run it at Maxton, but if it was mine, I would sure like some more shakedown time.

Doug Cooper
03-10-2006, 02:38 PM
I just spoke to Alan it makes alot more power than that!

Travis B
03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
I just spoke to Alan it makes alot more power than that!

you forgot to finish your post :hmm: ......you left out the numbers!

Bill Howell
03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I was on the phone with Bob when they were doing a pull. DAMN, just the sound on the phone was KILLER. I can not wait to see the video.

WS6
03-10-2006, 05:20 PM
i expect nearly twice that 560 number.

Bob Johnson
03-10-2006, 05:51 PM
We were measuring rear wheel horsepower..motor made 870 at Indy on a carb..780 torque..on 100 octane..here we're setting it up for pump gas..thru the exhaust..without nitrous..just on motor..we are still experiencing problems with the cam sensor..after discussing it with MSD today, I think we have a solution..they are sending us a hall effects sensor..the sensor we have isn't sending a strong enough signal for the computer to recognize #1..the hall effects is supposed to cure that..the dyno setting was checking the torque and H.P. from 3K RPM..Seems like the torque is over 600 pound well before 3K..flat as a pancake to well over 6K..then barely tapers off..motor made 625 HP at the wheels which was about 50 or so less than what we expected..Very conversative settings for pump gas and Young says their dyno gives very conversative numbers..I don't see anymore HP going to the ground so I'm going to dial it in from here. Car is crisp and sounds great..We're going to put some miles on it tomorrow..The Hall effect stuff should be here in the morning..We have a 300 HP shot of nitrous to throw to it if we need some more power.

Bob Johnson
03-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I got to see Bob Johnsons Cuda make several dyno runs today. WOW, it is cooler than all the pictures. Sorry I didn't get any shots, my camera was dead. Alan was taking video, I guess he will post it on his site. It sounded good but they were working out some FI/Ignition bugs so no final HP numbers, I think they were at about 560hp when I left - more to come.

In person, Bob is just like you would expect from his posts, not very politically correct and a lot of fun to talk to.

I hope he gets to run it at Maxton, but if it was mine, I would sure like some more shakedown time.
thanks for taking your valuable time to come over and visit us..I enjoyed talking with you..good luck on your camaros..

WS6
03-10-2006, 06:33 PM
oh i thought you had a turbo or two on there, nevermind then. still sounds like its a monster.

who is doing the dyno tuning? here in georgia or over in bama?

Bob Johnson
03-11-2006, 08:10 AM
oh i thought you had a turbo or two on there, nevermind then. still sounds like its a monster.

who is doing the dyno tuning? here in georgia or over in bama?
No, I like the sound and feel of a normally aspirated motor..The Real is the turbo man..I don't see much more horsepower being usable..that is going to the ground..the Cuda engine was built to be very streetable..not too radical..I think we're losing some power thru the brand new trans and rear we have in the car..They don't have 20 miles on them. Rockland wanted 400 miles or so on them before we put it on the Dyno..but we were having ignition problems..hopefully the hall effect stuff will cure that..we have 53% of the weight on the rear..If we can stand more power, we will worry about that then..no need in having HP that won't go to the ground..We had it dynoed at Youngs Performance..Decatur, Ala. They are real strong on FAST Computers...

Bob Johnson
03-11-2006, 08:16 AM
No, I like the sound and feel of a normally aspirated motor..The Real is the turbo man..I don't see much more horsepower being usable..that is going to the ground..the Cuda engine was built to be very streetable..not too radical..I think we're losing some power thru the brand new trans and rear we have in the car..They don't have 20 miles on them. Rockland wanted 400 miles or so on them before we put it on the Dyno..but we were having ignition problems..hopefully the hall effect stuff will cure that..we have 53% of the weight on the rear..If we can stand more power, we will worry about that then..no need in having HP that won't go to the ground..We had it dynoed at Youngs Performance..Decatur, Ala. They are real strong on FAST Computers...
I went to pay my bill at Youngs Performance..Bob Johnson was already in their computer...They had to put me in as The Real Bob Johnson..Take that west side Bob the Real Johnson..you imitatin impersonatin SOB..(maybe it would not accept my name because my dyno numbers weren't up to your standards)

WS6
03-11-2006, 08:04 PM
hahaha who is Real anyway. ive seen him post but i havent tracked down his first post to see what if anything hes claiming to be.

so how long do you think it will be before the power gets old and you'll want more? you know the only cure to the addiction is to up the power levels more.

Bob Johnson
03-11-2006, 08:31 PM
hahaha who is Real anyway. ive seen him post but i havent tracked down his first post to see what if anything hes claiming to be.

so how long do you think it will be before the power gets old and you'll want more? you know the only cure to the addiction is to up the power levels more.
The Real Bob Johnson is a friend of mine that lives near Dallas Ga. He owns a body shop over there and has been a drag racer for years. Ran Outlaw 10" or something..He's a good guy and goes real fast. He has a 69 Camaro(gonna look just like the Axe) that has an all aluminum big block and twin hair dryers..It'll be a bad boy..probably 1200hp on engine dyno..He's for real..I just want to get the power we have working..we're interested in handling..As Mark Stielow said about the Vette with 600 HP he was testing..you just can't harness all that power. like having a 12 inch pud that won't get hard.. We've got direct port Nitrous on it..If we need more, it's just a flip of the switch away. We didn't build this engine for a big shot of nitrous though.

shmoov69
03-12-2006, 01:48 PM
you just can't harness all that power. like having a 12 inch pud that won't get hard..
:lmao: Nice analogy!! :lmao:

ProdigyCustoms
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Bob, We need video, audio, something!! Were dying here!

96Z28SS
03-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Bob,

When I had my 96 camaro I was running a FAST system and running coil packs to each cylinder. I was using the FAST edist box also.

My motor ran fine on the engine dyno with it but when we got it in the car the we couldn't get it to work properly. It kept misfiring and popping. I spent alot of money trying to get it to work. I also tried the hall effect sensor which is what FAST recommended after our msd inductive pick up didn't work.
Anyways to make a very long story short we ditched the whole edist box and coils and went with a MSD pro billet distributor.

you can see pics of my old camaro at www.96z28ss.cz28.com
You'll see the coil packs and the sensor in the timing cover.

Bob Johnson
03-12-2006, 04:05 PM
2 of Alan's main guys are in Massachusetts to get training on the Yoder Hammer he bought..he was supposed to go too but he stayed behind to get the Cuda ready for Maxton and Vegas. He has the dyno pulls on a disk..I'll try to get him to get them posted. His computer isn't accepting the disc for some reason..His wife's lap top is though..I blew the wax out of Howell's ear on one pull..The video will show me going back to the car with the phone.

Bob Johnson
03-12-2006, 04:51 PM
someone needs to tell Alan how to get this from a DVD to Mpeg or however you get it on this site. [email protected]

Bill Howell
03-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Someone will be getting in touch with you about this shortly Bob.

DJW32
03-13-2006, 01:15 PM
How is that video coming?

Bob Johnson
03-14-2006, 06:23 PM
He's got the video..just got to figure out how to get it on the site..

Larry Callahan
03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I played phone tag with him yesterday. I think the easist way is to send me the tape and I'll convert it unles he knows how.

Bob Johnson
03-15-2006, 04:28 AM
email [email protected] also his wife [email protected] he's so busy now maybe he'll read his emails

slowcamaro
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Ever get all the minor issues ironed out? Any final numbers?...and how about that video