PDA

View Full Version : Steering boxes

LS1_78Bandit
03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
After a bit of haranguing from others, I think I'll go ahead and change out my steering box.

I was thinking of the AGR 12:1 box. I've done some searches for feedback on these and there wasn't much. The few comments seemed relatively positive except that it's heavy. How can a steering box weigh 40lb?? Wowsers.

Anyhoo ... any other feedback on the AGR?

Also, there was a note: "1978-84 cars when replacing 605 type snap ring box will require a larger pitman arm and input coupler."

I'm not sure if I have the 605 type. I have a 78 TA, I don't think it's a WS6.

If I do need a new pitman arm and input coupler, anybody know exactly what I need and where I can get them?

DeepBlue68
03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I just ordered a new Pitman arm today from Classic Industries for my AGR box I'll be putting in next week. We'll see how it goes. I lucked out with free shipping from Summit on my steering box...at 40 lbs, that would've been a pretty mean shipping charge.

LS1_78Bandit
03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Which pitman arm did you get?

And to revisit an old thread that I saw which was AGR vs DSE and then the ATS got thrown in there too. The DSE and ATS are a fair bit more expensive than the AGR. But you get what you pay for ... and I'm trying not to be penny-wise and pound-foolish, but also trying to be realistic with my goals. Confused?

Bottom line is: are the DSE or ATS worth the extra $$ for a primarily street-driven machine? As a percentage of the total cost of this project, the difference between AGR and DSE/ATS is miniscule, so it probably makes sense to just go with the ATS. But that argument is also how my budget has ballooned so drastically. :) You put enough of those "miniscules" together and you get a "macuscule" (I love inventing words!).

essenge
03-10-2006, 05:38 PM
For a street car, I've always heard the IROC close ratio box is a great upgrade, just need to get metric fittings.

importkiller69ss
03-10-2006, 06:52 PM
i brought up the thread on all three boxes i was dead set on the ats then found the agr was really good then idrove a 69 with the 3rd gen box and it felt great so i went with the 3rd gen iroc for 150 from napa and put the 400 i saved to other good stuff...i hant driven it yet b/c i just bought it and havnt put it on but i bet it is great everyone i have talked to love it