PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel aligning(sp) help

vince72
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
hi guys!
i hope that someone can shine some light on my problem. ever since i put a aftermarket steering wheel on my 72 camaro i have not been able to align the wheel with the tires. the car does have a alignment but when im going in a straight like the steering wheel is crucked(sp),
i would appreciate any help
thanks alot
vince

sinned
03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I got a ****ty alignment, the tech should have either centered the wheel or offered to properly position the wheel on the column.

DLinson
03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Take it back to the shop and complain. Ask them if they are doing a four wheel thrust line alignment, a geometric centerline alignment, or just aligning the front wheels without any rear sensors. Some old shops still only use front sensors because they think since it's a solid rear axle, you don't have to measure it.

You want them to do a four wheel thrust line alignment event though the rear wheels are not adjustable. The machine will measure the position of the rear wheels and align the front wheels to thrust line of the rear axle. This will result in a centered steering wheel.

If they do a geometric centerline alignment they are aligning the fornt tires to the centerline of the vehicle determined by the midpoint between the front wheels and rear wheels.

And like Dennis said, they are supposed to position the steering wheel and then lock it in place with a steering wheel holder before making any adjustments. They should also give you a printout of your alingment angles after the alignment is completed. It should show you all of the toe, camber, caster angles, and thrust angle.

Does the car pull to one side or is it just that the steering wheel is out of position?

They should also be able to measure steering lock to lock, set it to the median point, and then reposition the steering wheel. Then go back and reset the alignment.

If you are still having trouble after the alingment post your alignment numbers and one of us could figure out if something else is going on.

Dennis is a mechanic that does alignments and could help diagnose some problems.

I design alingment equipment and can also help out with some questions.

Dennis

vince72
03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
wow very informative!
when i had my stock steering wheel it would align but since i put the classic industries i could not get it to align? dont know if that makes any difference?
maybe the alignment shop is just being lazzy, it has been some time but i will talk to them maybe they will correct this. otherwise i will ask for them to do it over the way dennis, stated it. (il memorize what you said to they will think im some kind of pro)
thanks again for the quick help
vince

sinned
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
The easy way to determine if the steering wheel is positioned correctly on the column is to utilize an assistant and have them turn the wheel until the pitman arm is parallel with the vehicle centerline, then look at the steering wheel. It should be straight. If so then the shop did a very poor alignment, if not than you need to pull the wheel and center it, then have it re-aligned just to be sure its right.