PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft length ?

JEFFTATE
03-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I have a 1969 Camaro with a small block,saginaw 4-speed, and 12-bolt rearend. I've been having a problem with vibrations. Feels like a driveshaft vibration or a loose pinion nut. I had the car on a lift the other day and someone said that my driveshaft didn't appear to go far enough onto the output shaft of the trans. How far should it go on ? The car is a bit of a Frankenstein. It has a 1970 truck block, 1970 Nova rearend, and 1976 Saginaw transmission. If I need a new driveshaft, what is the proper way to measure for length,etc..? And how far should the driveshaft slip yoke go onto the trans output shaft ?

Josh
03-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Ideally, when you unbolt the rear u-joint from the yoke and push the driveshaft forward all the way, the u-joint should clear the tip of the yoke by 3/8 inch. Acceptable is just scaping by the yoke to 1/2 inch of clearance from the yoke. Any more space and it is too short. this will wipe out tailshaft bearings and cause vibration. Running the car like that too much will throw off the shaft. Be sure to check your pinion angle too as the cause.

JEFFTATE
04-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks Man ! I Found That The Driveshaft Was 1.5" Too Short.
Im Going To Have A New One Made. Ill Let Everyone Know How It Turns Out.