PDA

View Full Version : Need metallic black ideas for Illusion

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 04:18 AM
I want black for the upper part of Illusion but I want it to be more than just plain black. I want silver metal flake or orange metal flake in it. It has to be sublte so silver metal flake is probably the best way to go but I am up for any ideas.
I will update this first post with the paint ideas everyone mentions.
1. WRX STI black
2. '06 Dodge Magnum black (This is the official Illusion upper color)
3. 97' BMW M3 cosmos black

Jagarang
03-07-2006, 05:18 AM
I saw the Magnum Black and was very immpressed with it. In fact I haven't been able to forget it! It reminded me of this Hubble photo of "Deep space", they say that some of the galaxies in this photo are as old as the BEGINING OF TIME.

Alot of these are entire galaxies.....NOT JUST STARS!!!!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://imageshack.us)

astroracer
03-07-2006, 05:23 AM
Hey Adam,
Paint the top straight black THEN do the metalflake in the clear coat. Shoot the first coat of clear with the flake mixed in then spray the rest straight with no flake. This buries it in clear and you can color sand and polish to your hearts content. This way you can use whatever color flake you want or even mix them a bit. Do a few test panels to work up the ratio of flake to paint (it won't take much) to get the look you are envisioning. Just keep in mind that, when spraying any kind of flake, there is the opportunity for it to look mottled if you linger to long in one spot or the flake falls out of the mix in the gun.
Mark

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 05:26 AM
I will have to check into that magnum black for sure.
Mark,
I was hoping to get an existing paint that has exactly what I want. The last car I painted, I did what you said and sprayed the metal flake into the clear. I would rather not do that on a black base to avoid the mottled or botchy look. If I can find metal flake pre mixed into a base it will make life so much easier for touch up and when I spray it.
I am trying to find pics of the black Magnum paint.

Jagarang
03-07-2006, 05:35 AM
I don't think pictures will do it justice Adam. I never expected what I saw from any of the Magnum photos I had ever seen. I'll start carrying my digital around with me and see if I can get a picture of it for you.

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 05:38 AM
We have a couple Magnums just down from our house. However I dont think they have a black one. Mabey they will have some paint chips or something similar. Your right pics never do justice so I will have to try and find one in person. Your pic above looks just right though. Lots of stuff going on. Exactly what I want. I want it to explode in the sun. :)

jy211
03-07-2006, 05:40 AM
I saw the Magnum Black and was very immpressed with it. In fact I haven't been able to forget it! It reminded me of this hubble photo, in an errie way!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I have a magnum in this exact color! :yeah:
You can also check out the color from a 97' BMW M3...it's called cosmos black I think...I had one of those as well...

I am trying to attach a pic that shows the color pretty good...but it won't allow the pic for some reason...

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 05:42 AM
I just found this Magnum black pic. I REALLY like that color!!! I bet it would be killer in the sun!
You can send the pic to me and I can post it :)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magnum18be.jpg)

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 06:17 AM
I have a magnum in this exact color! :yeah:
You can also check out the color from a 97' BMW M3...it's called cosmos black I think...I had one of those as well...

I am trying to attach a pic that shows the color pretty good...but it won't allow the pic for some reason...
Here is your pic.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magnumemblems7oh.jpg)

CAMAROBOY69
03-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I just called a local dodge dealer and they said this Magnum black is the same color thats on the 300C. I dont know if thats true or not because it was just a salesman but I am going to check out this 300C tonight. he said the paint is called "Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat"

jy211
03-07-2006, 12:16 PM
he's right. That is the name of the color...

Todds69
03-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah I loved the Magnum black when I first saw it....and figured I would use it to do my stripes.

CAMAROBOY69
03-08-2006, 04:31 AM
I went after work to the local Dodge dealer. I first found a 300C. Then after I left I was lucky enough to find a new Magnum in black. It is the same color as 300C. The only problem was that it was very cloudy and there wasnt any sun out at all so I really couldnt see the paint. I decided to pully my car up to the side of it and set my high beams on it. Then I walked back out and went :seizure: . You guys are right, thats a very cool deep looking black. I cant wait to see it in the sun but so far that will probably be the black for my Camaro. :)
My next question is... How the heck do you keep up maintenance on a black or really dark car??? I barely touched the paint with my hands and it put light scratches in it. My girlfriends new car is basically black too and its hard to keep clean and hard not to scratch the paint.

Jagarang
03-08-2006, 05:09 AM
You just have to learn to overlook the little things.
I wash mine weekly.
Don't follow other cars to closely so you get less peebles, rocks, bolts, old ladies, or small children that the car in front of you may kick up.
A nose mask may help. I'm even looking into a nose mask for Eternity on the Power Tour.
There is also the clear vinyl application film which I've heard is nearly invisible, and helps prevent damage.
I won't be owning another black car as my daily driver. I've gone with Platinum Silver, specifically to avoid seeing chips, swirls marks, etc.

CAMAROBOY69
03-08-2006, 05:12 AM
How do you clean them without scratching the paint? I just barely touched the Magnum and my girlfriends car and the clear coat seems to scratch way easier than I would have ever imagined. My fingers scratched it. Its not like they are 25 grit or anything. They are my fingers. Is there a certain cleaner or rag everyone uses to clean dark cars? I understand chips and nature but I just want to be able to wipe the car off without scratching it. :scared:
Also what does everyone use to get rid of the very very fine swirl marks? Whoever had heathers car must have drove it thru one of those car washes that I will never go in and it created the swirl marks.

Jagarang
03-08-2006, 05:21 AM
I think there are different "grades" of clear coat. The better ones tend not to scratch "as" easily.
First pressure wash the car without touching it. Then use the softest sponge/car mop you can find with LOTS of soap and work from the top down.
Rinse the rag FREQUENTLY and change your water/bucket one or twice during the wash process.
Never use the same rag you use on your wheels for the body.
I have two body rags, one for the first bucket of water and another for the second "cleaner" bucket.
Don't scub hard or repeatedly in any particular dirrection
There is a cleat coat glaze that you use to fill swirls markd with.

BLACK IS AWESOME. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE WILLING TO GO THE EXTRA 1000 MILES, and overlook a few things you just can't help.

jy211
03-08-2006, 05:50 AM
my car is washed weekly and waxed once every 2-3 months. I just make sure I soak the car and use a soft sponge/fiber thing...

Ralph LoGrasso
03-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Only use 100% cotton towels when detailing or drying the car as well. Black is a PITA to keep clean, but there's not much that looks better than a clean black car at night. These guys gave some pretty good tips. Also, get yourself a good detailing spray as it's damn hard not to have spotting, even when hand drying the car. Zaino is top notch for waxes and detail sprays, highly recommended for a black car. I keep my SS waxed with Zaino Z2 and when I wash it, I'll use the Zaino wash, dry it and then do a quick coat of Z6 detail spray over the car. It gets rid of any spots and also helps give the car more depth since it adheres to the Z2.

As for the swirl marks, a good compound like 3M Perfect-It II works excellent, but be careful when compound as you can easily make the swirl marks worse if not done right. Follow the compound up with a nice hand glaze; the glaze will offer up some protection for the clear as well.

Typing this reminds me how much I hate to wash / detail cars, LOL. Thankfully my SS is garaged becuase although I can't stand to wash / detail, I really can't stand a dirty car.

CAMAROBOY69
03-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I never had a really dark car until my GF just bought her new daily driver. It is basically black. Its called black cherry but its black unless the sun hits it. Then its very dark purple. It is dirty every single day and your right about the spots. Dark daily driver Michigan car is a pain. I will try out the hand glaze and other mentioned items in the spring when it warms up. I have also been concerned about maintenance on dark cars since mine is going to be black on top. All this detail is another reason I dont like painting my cars. Too much upkeep once finished. I just want to drive the heck out of it not detail it all day. :lmao: Hmm I have to admit it will be fun watching Heather wash the car on occasion in her cute swim suits. :thankyou:

speedster
03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Adam -
Just remember, it's not really the black that is the problem, it is the quality/hardness of the clearcoat you put over it like Kevin mentioned. Black just perfectly reflects what is on the clear. Remember, black or any other color is going to take more work than the primer did. Just part of the price of having a great ride.

CAMAROBOY69
03-08-2006, 01:40 PM
For those that dont know ive painted a couple other cars and your right the clear is the most important part. I will make sure I get very very good clear for my car. :twothumbs
Mother nature punishes me when I paint cars though. Long story on my 72 Cutlass. :banghead:

Z06killinSBF
03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
I know its not black but, on the new GM trucks they have a VERY dark charcoal that looks killer.

Also, I like Turtle Wax Platinum as wax and Meguires Quik Detail. The Perfect-It 2 is AWESOME stuff. Just remember that when you buff the car, your hand glaze is what takes them out. Since there is a swirl pattern, apply your glaze in straight lines following the body lines. It's alot of work but WELL worth it.

CAMAROBOY69
03-09-2006, 04:43 AM
We went last night to check out the Magnum color. I shined my headlights on it at night and it was killer!!!! I can only imagine how awesome that paint is in the sun. That is my official black for Illusion. Thanks everyone for the help. 06 Dodge Magnum is the upper color for Illusion. I wont even look any more. I think I even saw a little hint of purple or blue flakes in the black. :seizure:

67RScamaroVette
03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
You gotta look at House of Kolors Tangelo Pearl for your flames/pinstriping.. I went down to the GM dealership yesterday to look at colors, and saw an orange cobalt that had a really really nice orange color, very similar to the 'vette, lots of metalflake. Cadillac's silver is very nice, too. Big thumbs up for the magnum black, its a beautiful color.

CAMAROBOY69
03-10-2006, 04:42 AM
I decided a last October that I am going with HOK sunset pearl orange. Its the same exact paint we will paint my girlfriends Mustang with. Check out this thread I made a while back. I sprayed a sample of this stuff on Heathers helmet and on an old junky hood. Just to see if we liked it. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11407&highlight=girlfriend

CAMAROBOY69
03-13-2006, 07:31 AM
The sun finally peaked out this weekend and I got to see this black Magnum paint in action. The metal flake in the black was very very nice. Just like staring into the universe at night but this metal flake actully had some color to it. Thanks again for helping me find this perfect black for my car.

Happyfunballs
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Adding orange metal flake to the clear would look so much better. Add the flake to your clear, one full coat followed by a drop coat, let it flash(flake to drop) two coats of non-flaked clear. Sand, buff, done.