PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 Vintage Air in 1st gen

streetk14
03-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I am considering doing a Vintage Air install on my 68. My stock heater/defroster leaves a lot to be desired, and the heater hoses aren't in a very good location. Plus, A/C would be nice to have in the summer. I am interested in the gen 2 unit with the electric controls & stepper motors. What is involved in installing one of these systems? I know DSE makes a bracket to mount the evaporator as well as a plate to mount the control panel in the stock dash area. What about the firewall? Does the firewall plate/bulkhead that VA supplies in their "sure-fit" kits work with the gen 2 evaporator? I'm trying to do this without too much fab work. You would think Vintage Air would be selling a complete gen 2 kit for the 67-69's by now. If anyone has installed one of these I'd be more than happy to hear the details. Pics would also be nice :)
Andy

jannes_z-28
03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I am going to do the same in my '69.

Here is a good link tha shows it in detail:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/projectbuild/0604ch_gen/index.html

Jan

streetk14
03-07-2006, 06:00 PM
I am going to do the same in my '69.

Here is a good link tha shows it in detail:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/projectbuild/0604ch_gen/index.html

Jan

Thanks for the link Jan, that's what I was looking for. I think I have that magazine somewhere. Now I just need to find it.......
-Andy

streetk14
03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I checked out the install. It answered some of my questions. I am still trying to figure out the firewall panel part of it. That car had a smoothed firewall, so they just installed a bulkhead to route the lines through. I will be keeping my stock firewall. Does anybody know if the plate that is sold in their "sure-fit" kits to replace the stock blower housing will work with the Gen 2 evaporator? I guess I should probably contact DSE and Vintage Air to get the details.

TxDanno
11-18-2006, 08:19 PM
The article stated that it was a surefit system, but I believe it to be a genII compac. It was in the April '06 issue. Seems like they hurried through it and didn't do a very thorough job of covering the install.

gray68
11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
just curious since I have a 68 in need of AC. why not use the surefit system? is the Gen II better in someway?

jannes_z-28
11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
The GenII system uses micromotors to open vents in the system. I think that the Surefit uses vacuum to open vents.

Jan

DeepBlue68
11-19-2006, 09:30 PM
streetk14 - you might wanna check out Tony Huntimer's GM Pro-Touring book as well. He's got a pretty good write-up about installing a Gen II system in a '68 Camaro on pp. 124-127. The book is a great resource for all kinds of other stuff as well.

tbirdjjq
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
i just installed the vintage air system in my customers camaro and ran into the same firewall problem. the cover plate DSE offers is a weld in smoothy requiring lots of welding. not so practical on a painted car. what i found was a bolt on heater delete firewall plate from classic ind. part #KW808. you will see the screws but we could"nt be happier with the fit. sent them off to paint last week.

73z-6sp
11-20-2006, 03:53 AM
I am not sure where their (VA) cover plate routes the hoses but I did use the DSE bracket and the only logical place for the lines is the small area between the gen 2 unit and the right side of the firewall/underdash. Did I mention it is a small area? This is only my second AC install and both times, the lines are the toughest part. For me anyway.

Best of luck!