PDA

View Full Version : First Visit to SEMA

czar97
03-06-2006, 04:50 PM
I would like to attend SEMA this year with my Dad. We’ve always gone to the Detroit Autorama, and have talked about going to the SEMA convention. My concern is when do we go? Is there any difference between attending the last two days (Thursday and Friday)? Also, how long will it take to walk through the convention? The past two Detroit Autoramas have taken us approx. 8 hours to walk through. I have heard that SEMA is substantially larger.

Your thoughts / advice.

Thanks,

-Matt

ProdigyCustoms
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
You could never walk the entire show in all the days unlessyou were at a fast pace and never stoped to look at anything. You'll need to plan to do the entire event, or really do your planner

Bill Howell
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I think the 05 show had 22 miles of aisles. You better count on every day if you want to see half of it. Well worth the walking though.

nancejd
03-06-2006, 06:42 PM
With some planning, I think you can see everything you want to see in three days. Of course for me, that meant skipping the big rim tent, skipping most of the audio/video stuff, and just running through all of the truck stuff. Be prepared to walk your feet off though.

ProdigyCustoms
03-06-2006, 07:11 PM
What truck stuff, LOL!

nancejd
03-06-2006, 07:36 PM
It was the stuff upstairs! I figured I should at least try and get to each section of the show.

czar97
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I would be primarily looking at the drive train items such as brakes, wheels, larger “A” body paint schems, and engine components (for Pontiacs that is, which in itself narrows it down to a select few companies, not like I’m looking to get some extra performance out of a chevy 350… you’d have to stay over night to get all the chevy stuff in).

I was just trying to get a feel for the even before I planned my visit. Are there maps to show you what’s going on as far as who’s displays are set up where? Is it basically a free-for-all?

rockdogz
03-07-2006, 03:26 PM
How are you planning to get in? Do you have an affiliation with an auto related business? I'd like to go too, but haven't figured out how I would get in yet...

czar97
03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I thought that anyone could get in. I'm thinking that because my dad teaches auto at the local community college and high school, we can find a way in.

muthstryker
03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
so its not open to the public...thats dumb as hell. nuff said.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-14-2006, 07:54 PM
SEMA is pretty well crowded with industry only people, I'm not sure they could ever accomodate the public, even with the size of the convention center.

Bill Howell
03-15-2006, 06:54 AM
so its not open to the public...thats dumb as hell. nuff said.

Easy big guy. I kinda thought the same thing until I attended. After going last year, now I understand. NO way you would have room for everyone. It is a show geared to the wholesale market anyway, not the end user. Once you attend, you will understand the process better.

muthstryker
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
how can i attened if i cant get in ?? i might be able to go with my cuzin he owns 2 big body shops here in washington.

Bill Howell
03-15-2006, 05:29 PM
He can buy tickets, that is the way to do it. Just have him get them for you.:bananna2:

muthstryker
03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
lol maybe ill see some of you there

muthstryker
03-15-2006, 06:24 PM
so how much are the tickets and when do the usually come availble

andrewb70
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
http://www.semashow.com

Andrew

ProdigyCustoms
03-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I am probably really going to piss some people off here, but I have to tell it like it is. Specialty Equipment Manufactures Association (SEMA) is just what it says, business to business. It is a trade show for the automotive industry, making SEMA all the more intriguing to the general public. The last few years more and more public has been sneaking in, but I keep hearing threats of SEMA making it more difficult to get in. I know many manufacturers that display have expressed a interest in keeping the public out. It was explained to me like this. A manufacturer spends $70k on the show to display to meet and greet potential new as well as current WDs, jobbers and retailers of their products. As important as the end user is in business, the manufacturer is usually looking to meet people doing a lot of volume of their product. In the meantime, a mr retail hobbyist building one car wants to talk the manufacturers ear off, all the while the manufacturer is looking over the shoulder of mr retail at a current or potential $100,000 annual buyer. So now the manufacturer rep can be a ****, cut him short, and tell mr retail he is done, or continue to talk to mr retail and possibly let mr business get frustrated and drift away.

I've talked to a dozen manufacturers that were here in Orlando displaying at PRI (mini SEMA) and they really liked the location better because it was farther from the race teams crew all centered around Indy (where it used to be), which limited the amount of race teams absorbing their time. Again, it made it more business to business.

I agree with most of the business to business theory, however as someone displaying, I have mixed emotions because it is a great opportunity for us to meet potential customers. There are a LOT of deep pockets walking around SEMA, so I don't know.

andrewb70
03-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Well said Frank.

If you are not in the industry and do manage to get in, please respect the manufacturer's and keep your questions to a minimum.

Andrew

rockdogz
03-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Frank, makes total sense to me.

Sucks, because I would like to go, but makes sense.
:nopity:

trapin
03-16-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm just going for the free stickers.

Steve Chryssos
03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm just going for the free stickers.

Oh, that's the worst! It rings in your ears for days.