PDA

View Full Version : who won the RIDLER,

rocketman
03-05-2006, 06:40 PM
was it foose,burman,????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

got to know.

importkiller69ss
03-05-2006, 06:45 PM
chip foose w/ impression it was sweet nice ride

Bill Howell
03-05-2006, 06:47 PM
I am wondering the same thing. My vote would have been for the Willys, but I really liked the 59 Impala too. Mainly because, with it, we are slowly moving out of the street rod age.

J2speedandcustom
03-05-2006, 07:05 PM
We heard from the grapevine that Roger at Lakeside won! we think he deserves it. Really a cool and well done car!

J2speedandcustom
03-05-2006, 07:08 PM
I guess I should not call it the grapevine, I spoke with the Recovery Room about 30 minutes ago and he was pumped!

Bill Howell
03-05-2006, 07:11 PM
BTW, sorry I did not see your request until this afternoon Jeff, I was already back home....Sorry

J2speedandcustom
03-05-2006, 07:13 PM
No sweat, I was just on the streetrodderweb.com and they have an update announcing Roger won. So congrats to him and the team.

Al Moreno
03-05-2006, 07:18 PM
http://streetrodderweb.com/events/0603sr_detroit_03/index4.html

I wasn't there to see them in person but, the Willies looked alot more unique. I'm sure the Roger's 35 was nice but, that's the same concept as the 32 & 33 Boydster's that have been around since 1995 except with a 35 platform.

importkiller69ss
03-05-2006, 07:23 PM
ooo my b he foose won 05....i forgot it is 06

rocketman
03-05-2006, 08:04 PM
that's cool,i've know roger and kevin for acouple years now,i've heard about it for a couple year's now.surpised chip didn't when win.congrats roger and kevin.

jeff s
03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm disappointed my friend and customer Seth Wagner and his Willys pick-up didn't win.
The roadster that won had visible waves in the fenders, granted they were fabbed from metal, but so was Seth's truck.
A first time Ridler competitor probably won't win due to politics.
BTW, Seths truck had a supercharged 5.7 Hemi and a 6 speed.
After 06 it's finished with the show circuit, I'm gonna get my hands on it, then Seth's gonna thrash it.

DJW32
03-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Did Foose have a car on display?

Bill Howell
03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
He had a black 3 window coupe in the final 8. Also last years ridler winner was on display.

Bob Johnson
03-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Jeff..good to see you and Seth there. I was hoping you guys would win. Seth is a very nice guy. I just wasn't fond of Burman's 35. The headlights just blew the look of the front end for me..The big opening in the back of the seat was a bit unusual too. I liked the 55 that blew up and couldn't make the great 8 because it wasn't running..that's bad luck...what a disappointment..go thru all that and get there and your motor locks up. that's depressing to say the least. Sorry it took me a minute to get my mind straight who you were...I'm terrible with names and my memory isn't what it used to be. But at least I remembered without you having to remind me..

trapin
03-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Yeah...I was pulling for that truck too. I'm tired of Willy's and Roadster's always winning it. The truck would have been a nice change of pace. But those judges are very biased.

Al Moreno
03-06-2006, 04:16 AM
Yeah...I was pulling for that truck too. I'm tired of Willy's and Roadster's always winning it. The truck would have been a nice change of pace. But those judges are very biased.

Wasn't the truck a Willy's also or are you refereing to a different truck?

Al Moreno
03-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Jeff..good to see you and Seth there. I was hoping you guys would win. Seth is a very nice guy. I just wasn't fond of Burman's 35. The headlights just blew the look of the front end for me..The big opening in the back of the seat was a bit unusual too. I liked the 55 that blew up and couldn't make the great 8 because it wasn't running..that's bad luck...what a disappointment..go thru all that and get there and your motor locks up. that's depressing to say the least. Sorry it took me a minute to get my mind straight who you were...I'm terrible with names and my memory isn't what it used to be. But at least I remembered without you having to remind me..

I was wondering why the 55 hadn't top 8> I thought the judges were on drugs. Wait, I still think that they are!

Al Moreno
03-06-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm disappointed my friend and customer Seth Wagner and his Willys pick-up didn't win.
The roadster that won had visible waves in the fenders, granted they were fabbed from metal, but so was Seth's truck.
After 06 it's finished with the show circuit, I'm gonna get my hands on it, then Seth's gonna thrash it.

Jeff, who biuld the truck?

KILLER06MUSTANG
03-06-2006, 04:28 AM
I was wondering why the 55 hadn't top 8> I thought the judges were on drugs. Wait, I still think that they are!

the 55 blew the engine when they were taking it out of the trailer. Without a running car they wont give you anything

kennyd
03-06-2006, 05:29 AM

roger was a 1st time competitor also ,i dont think you want to get into quaility discussion on either vehicle .
i did think the willys had the most style .
my vote was for the 50 chev or foose coupe

Steve Chryssos
03-06-2006, 05:36 AM
Yawn.

Travis B
03-06-2006, 06:01 AM
that's cool,i've know roger and kevin for acouple years now,i've heard about it for a couple year's now.surpised chip didn't when win.congrats roger and kevin.

Chips car was not cut up enought to win.....your basic nicley built 32' 3 window. The car was not built for the riddler or to win the riddler! The willys pick up was nice tons of fab work but hte fit and finish was not there for a riddler car....gaps killed the truck and the buffed through spot in the door! My fav was the X-vette 55 drop top. To bad it locked up that thing was killer design wise but it had flaws just like the rest of them.

Hot Rod
03-06-2006, 06:10 AM
:postpics:

How about a few pics!! Not links to pics!!

Bill Howell
03-06-2006, 06:16 AM

Already here, just a different thread. However, yours truely took the pictures, so you have to overlook the quality.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16049

Travis B
03-06-2006, 06:28 AM

I have about 140 I am getting ready to send you shannon! I have to resize them and I will send them over

Bill Howell
03-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Looking back at the pictures I took, the winning car was the one I took the fewest pictures of. I guess that shows my taste, and how much I know about showcars. :hammer:

There was a 63 red/orange Impala there, not a contender for the Ridler, but a truely nice car. The builder had grafted a 1960 Ford (?, I still say ford Bob) roof and back glass onto the car then used a 64 t-bird interior to finish it. Such a cool looking car to look at, yet you just knew something major was changed.

BAD6SPD
03-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Bill,

His sign said it was a 60 Plymouth roof...That was one of my favorite cars by far.

Bill Howell
03-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Bill,

His sign said it was a 60 Plymouth roof...

Now you are trying to confuse me with facts.....lol

You are right though, such a nice car and outside the traditional box.

JoshStratton
03-06-2006, 07:14 AM
He had a black 3 window coupe in the final 8. Also last years ridler winner was on display.

I didnt see last years winner there. I saw the covertable that Foose won with a few years ago. Where was it? I wanted to show it to my dad but must have missed it.

kennyd
03-06-2006, 07:33 AM
I didnt see last years winner there. I saw the covertable that Foose won with a few years ago. Where was it? I wanted to show it to my dad but must have missed it.

that was last years winner .

Damn True
03-06-2006, 07:47 AM
the 55 blew the engine when they were taking it out of the trailer. Without a running car they wont give you anything

Seriously?

:jawdrop:

Bob Johnson
03-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Chips car was not cut up enought to win.....your basic nicley built 32' 3 window. The car was not built for the riddler or to win the riddler! The willys pick up was nice tons of fab work but hte fit and finish was not there for a riddler car....gaps killed the truck and the buffed through spot in the door! My fav was the X-vette 55 drop top. To bad it locked up that thing was killer design wise but it had flaws just like the rest of them.

I don't think you should have to cut up a 32 to win..The 32 5 window that Alan built for Bill Roberts is one of my favorites..if not my favorite..it didn't have any chop or anything..I loved it..People that make changes just for the sake of change..I just don't agree with that line of thinking..
I liked the 55 too...that 50 Chev. looked all out of whack to me..it just wasn't symetrical..lines just didn't flow..fenderwells, offsets on the wheels, lower front fenders, back window..just didn't flow in my eyes..I'll take the black 61 Chrysler Wagon with the 392 Hemi..I sported some wood on it..the 55 Chrysler with the Indy Cylinder Head Hemi was nice too. I enjoyed the rat rods..I just love those things..The SN 65 was a pleasant surprise to me. Those guys did a nice job..lots of nice detail there..They just don't look like paint and body guys..look more like computer guys or accountants..they will be doing a lot more quality work in the future I'm sure..I hope it runs like they want it to..It should..they've done a thorough job..

Travis B
03-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Bob I agree 100% to me the foose couple should have won but i think the judes want to see crazy stuff.....meybe I'm wrong! And I agree the SN65 was a quality piece those guys did some nice QUALITY work for sure...I wasn't expecting to see that kind of fit and finish

I don't think you should have to cut up a 32 to win..The 32 5 window that Alan built for Bill Roberts is one of my favorites..if not my favorite..it didn't have any chop or anything..I loved it..People that make changes just for the sake of change..I just don't agree with that line of thinking..
I liked the 55 too...that 50 Chev. looked all out of whack to me..it just wasn't symetrical..lines just didn't flow..fenderwells, offsets on the wheels, lower front fenders, back window..just didn't flow in my eyes..I'll take the black 61 Chrysler Wagon with the 392 Hemi..I sported some wood on it..the 55 Chrysler with the Indy Cylinder Head Hemi was nice too. I enjoyed the rat rods..I just love those things..The SN 65 was a pleasant surprise to me. Those guys did a nice job..lots of nice detail there..They just don't look like paint and body guys..look more like computer guys or accountants..they will be doing a lot more quality work in the future I'm sure..I hope it runs like they want it to..It should..they've done a thorough job..

Bill Howell
03-06-2006, 08:22 AM
..I'll take the black 61 Chrysler Wagon with the 392 Hemi..I sported some wood on it..

You talking about this one? I think it is a hardtop wagon, right? rare!

jeff s
03-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Roger's wife told us they had participated with another car before.
Seth's truck was built by Steve Legens in TN.

jeff s
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I forgot to mention, on Saturday Chip Foose told Seth "If your truck doesn't win this thing the judges don't know what they're looking at"
Here's an interior shot of the Willys, notice the nav system. Steering wheel is from a vintage Holden. Wood on pedals and in bed is from Australia.

Bob Johnson
03-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Looking back at the pictures I took, the winning car was the one I took the fewest pictures of. I guess that shows my taste, and how much I know about showcars. :hammer:

There was a 63 red/orange Impala there, not a contender for the Ridler, but a truely nice car. The builder had grafted a 1960 Ford (?, I still say ford Bob) roof and back glass onto the car then used a 64 t-bird interior to finish it. Such a cool looking car to look at, yet you just knew something major was changed.
believe me it's a 60 Plymouth..look at the bottom of the roof at the back of the rear qtr.window..Ford's doesn't cut back like that..Barry Penfond who built it is a friend of mine..I thought it was a Ford too..He said look again..I saw it then..I liked the interior..the fabrics and the style of the T-bird buckets and the rounded rear seat..only thing that I think might have looked better is the hard back GM buckets that were in the GM bucket seat cars before 62..but they're very expensive now..this was the first car he has done for a customer..he did a 59 Buick for himself in 2002, and a Cadillac a couple years ago..He has real good taste...nothing overdone..The Chevy was a very simple build except for the roof..It had a very cool look..

Bob Johnson
03-06-2006, 05:20 PM
You talking about this one? I think it is a hardtop wagon, right? rare!
yessir that's it..I love the 60 Chrysler 300's..this is a 61 but in the wagon, they have the boomerang 60 lights..the instrument pods on the 60 and 61's are cool beyond words..it would have been even cooler with the 60/61 4 bucket seats and full length console..the buckets swiveled out..

Bob Johnson
03-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Bob I agree 100% to me the foose couple should have won but i think the judes want to see crazy stuff.....meybe I'm wrong! And I agree the SN65 was a quality piece those guys did some nice QUALITY work for sure...I wasn't expecting to see that kind of fit and finish
let's face it..Foose has won it too many times in most peoples eyes..This 32 wasn't highly detailed underneath..he knew that when he brought it..This car was built for a man who is now dying in the hospital..He will never be out to see it..he wanted Foose to bring it to Detroit just to get it in the great 8..I think Foose would have had a hard time winning it this year even if he had the nicest car there..They figure you can't let one guy dominate the show as he has..I liked the 32 except for the wheels..nothing was offensive on it.. as is the case with most Foose cars..I still like the little 32 roadster that Trepanier built that won the Goodguys Street Rod of the Year a couple years ago. That is one more cool piece..Barry Lobeck copied the hell out of it with the little roadster he built..it looked killer too..

Al Moreno
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Johnson]This car was built for a man who is now dying in the hospital..He will never be out to see it..he wanted Foose to bring it to Detroit just to get it in the great 8..

Thats to bad. Bob, are you referring to Chuck?

Roger Poirier
03-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Guys in my opinion any car that makes it to the final eight, the quality is pretty much equal. It comes down to preference and style, nothing more. For a change pro-street did not dominate the show.

R.P.

Bob Johnson
03-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't remember the guys name..he became ill while the car was under construction. He just wanted it to go to Detroit... get a great 8..One of his last wishes I heard. I liked Foose's rat rod downstairs too..

SN65
03-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi Bob, Travis,

Its Bob (the computer geek) Julian here. Thanks you for the kind words.

Well, as you all know, we did not win the Ridler. But, we never really expected to.

But we did not leave empty handed. :-)

We did not win our catagory, we did not even place. We were in the same catagory as most of the Ridler contenders and they got all the awards.

At the end of the show, they handed out the "special" awards. We were sitting there getting ready to leave when we hear "...the award for excellence in engineering goes to Bob and Wayne Julian for their...."

Afterward, Wayne talked to the judges and they said that the only thing that kept us from contending for the Ridler was half a mil in chrome. From my conversations with the staff and judges, I get the feeling that there is going to be a shift in the near future. I see the door opening for the types of cars we build and drive and race in these types of events. I will bet that within the next five years a pro-touring type car will win this award. Who will build the car? What will it be? I don't know, but mark my words, the times they are a changin.

Bob

PS: again, really nice meeting all of you at the show. Hope to see you again at the Good guys show. Hey Bob. Do you think we have a chance for SMOY???

Bob Johnson
03-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Bob, Travis,

Its Bob (the computer geek) Julian here. Thanks you for the kind words.

Well, as you all know, we did not win the Ridler. But, we never really expected to.

But we did not leave empty handed. :-)

We did not win our catagory, we did not even place. We were in the same catagory as most of the Ridler contenders and they got all the awards.

At the end of the show, they handed out the "special" awards. We were sitting there getting ready to leave when we hear "...the award for excellence in engineering goes to Bob and Wayne Julian for their...."

Afterward, Wayne talked to the judges and they said that the only thing that kept us from contending for the Ridler was half a mil in chrome. From my conversations with the staff and judges, I get the feeling that there is going to be a shift in the near future. I see the door opening for the types of cars we build and drive and race in these types of events. I will bet that within the next five years a pro-touring type car will win this award. Who will build the car? What will it be? I don't know, but mark my words, the times they are a changin.

Bob

PS: again, really nice meeting all of you at the show. Hope to see you again at the Good guys show. Hey Bob. Do you think we have a chance for SMOY???
not if the Cuda is there..lol lol lol

Travis B
03-07-2006, 08:15 AM

cuda has to be in the top spot right now

alloway and ryan butler are also build cars for this event....one is a fastback stang the other a 62 bubbletop. there will be stiff competition for the top 5 this year

Bill Howell
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
The cuda has to be a strong contender if not the ringer for the SMOY award this year. Certainly not because it is Bob's car or the fact he is here. Just the facts, and car it self has to put it at or damn near the top. I know I would hate to think I had a car in the running this year.

Steve Chryssos
03-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I'll be pissed if the G-Force 'cuda doesn't win. But I won't be surprised. To date, Goodguys SMOY has been awarded to cars that are more cute & fuzzy. :grouphug: :angel:

Hopefully Johnson & Johnson can change that. Maybe John Parsons and II Much (http://www.iimuchfabrication.com) can help turn things around too.

Bob Johnson
03-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I'll be pissed if the G-Force 'cuda doesn't win. But I won't be surprised. To date, Goodguys SMOY has been awarded to cars that are more cute & fuzzy. :grouphug: :angel:

Hopefully Johnson & Johnson can change that. Maybe John Parsons and II Much (http://www.iimuchfabrication.com) can help turn things around too.
The best car or truck doesn't always win..I've seen some strang stuff happen in my time..But I think the Goodguys results are the most realistic....but it isn't foolproof.
I would have bet on The Challenger over the Nova last year..but Alloway had won the best street machine the year before..and the nova couldn't make it the year before because the hood blew up and damaged the car..

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Yup. I was there and I agree. The Challenger had an incredible presence. But the judges as a group, either didn't get it or were afraid to pick a car that wasn't a modern street rod. The pendulum on that basic black car had swung too far in the direction of performance (away from style)

With your car, the pendulum will swing back and forth in both directions until it comes off the hinge. I can already see them fainting:
Oh my! It looks like Alan Johnson forgot to paint the firewall. And why didn't they use airbags? Oh my gosh! The frame tubing is exposed. Someone get a doctor!

Goodguys is trying to gently bridge the gap between its core street rod constituency and the new muscle car craze. That means that Roy Pigford Novas are exactly what they are looking for. A street rod in muscle car clothes. Your car ain't gentle. and it ain't a street rod.

Along the same lines, I don't see the point in bringing the II Much Chevy II to G-G Columbus--especially since a Chevy II won last year. But hey, maybe if there's another aggressive car around, it will make the 'cuda look more "socially acceptible". Maybe we should park II Much next to you guys? :scared:

Bob Johnson
03-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Yup. I was there and I agree. The Challenger had an incredible presence. But the judges as a group, either didn't get it or were afraid to pick a car that wasn't a modern street rod. The pendulum on that basic black car had swung too far in the direction of performance (away from style)

With your car, the pendulum will swing back and forth in both directions until it comes off the hinge. I can already see them fainting:
Oh my! It looks like Alan Johnson forgot to paint the firewall. And why didn't they use airbags? Oh my gosh! The frame tubing is exposed. Someone get a doctor!

Goodguys is trying to gently bridge the gap between its core street rod constituency and the new muscle car craze. That means that Roy Pigford Novas are exactly what they are looking for. A street rod in muscle car clothes. Your car ain't gentle. and it ain't a street rod.

Along the same lines, I don't see the point in bringing the II Much Chevy II to G-G Columbus--especially since a Chevy II won last year. But hey, maybe if there's another aggressive car around, it will make the 'cuda look more "socially acceptible". Maybe we should park II Much next to you guys? :scared:
I can tell you that everyone I talked to voted for the Challenger..and I talked to many of the judges..Bobby won it in 2004 with the T-Bird..The Nova was slated to be there and the hood flew up and he couldn't make it..The Nova more than likely would have beat the T-Bird of Alloways in 2004...Get where I'm going here...The judges at Goodguys know cars..They have picked guys in the past that know cars..I don't think anyone of them will have a hard time understanding anything that the Cuda has..now the ISCA guys..that's a whole different story

rocketman
03-08-2006, 06:56 AM
the "good ol boys" at the goodguys,don't always make the best choice's,like it was said above a street rod in a muscle car body.now i am a huge street rod fan,but a street machine is more of a bad boy thumper ride like a 55 chevywith a bb,or camaro or ??????????,that's not a fuzzy dice and billet wheels deal.imo

Bob Johnson
03-08-2006, 07:37 AM
the "good ol boys" at the goodguys,don't always make the best choice's,like it was said above a street rod in a muscle car body.now i am a huge street rod fan,but a street machine is more of a bad boy thumper ride like a 55 chevywith a bb,or camaro or ??????????,that's not a fuzzy dice and billet wheels deal.imo
I would bet if Alloway had taken the Challenger to compete like was originally said..it might have won. Neither of the 2 top contenders had been driven to any extent..I do believe the drivability of the car does weigh in the judging at Goodguys..unlike the ISCA..Bruce Ricks 55 should have won a few years back..I think since it hadn't been driven, it hurt it. The judges at Columbus are some very savvy car guys..the best I've seen unless it's the judges at NSRA LOUISVILLE..

kennyd
03-08-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't remember the guys name..he became ill while the car was under construction. He just wanted it to go to Detroit... get a great 8..One of his last wishes I heard. I liked Foose's rat rod downstairs too..

chuck svatos is the owner of the" lil foose coupe" ,

kennyd
03-08-2006, 07:49 AM

better pucker up bob , because you know alloway will !
i heard the lange owner of the 55 tbird tell pigford thanks for not comming to to columbus .

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 07:50 AM
I can tell you that everyone I talked to voted for the Challenger..and I talked to many of the judges.....Get where I'm going here...The judges at Goodguys know cars..

I hear ya barkin, big doggie.

Travis B
03-08-2006, 08:10 AM

:scared:

I wouldn't call pigfords car a modern street rod just becuase it had nice paint and body....that car had an AME chassis,lingenfelter(spelling) small block, etc etc

Just because it has nice paint and airbags doesn't make it a modern street rod in my eyes!

kennyd
03-08-2006, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't call pigfords car a modern street rod just becuase it had nice paint and body....that car had an AME chassis,lingenfelter(spelling) small block, etc etc

Just because it has nice paint and airbags doesn't make it a modern street rod in my eyes!

that car has street rod wrote all over it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 09:07 AM
.....I am a huge street rod fan,but a street machine is more of a bad boy thumper ride like a 55 chevywith a bb,or camaro or ??????????,that's not a fuzzy dice and billet wheels deal.imo

I couldn't agree more.

Travis,
I'm not jumping to conclusions just because of airbags and paint. I'm really looking at the car as a whole. Interior design, wheel & tire selection. That car is as good as any hyper-detailed street rod. And it's their show. It so happens that Pigford's car really is that nice. So it deserved to win. I'm more interested in how they will respond to the g-Force 'cuda.

The 'cuda is just as hyperdetailed, if not more. I just hope that Goodguys appreciates and accepts Johnsons' aggressive theme.

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 09:08 AM

Dude, you're standing right next to Travis. You don't have to yell. :fart: :lmao:

SN65
03-08-2006, 10:27 AM
SNIP...

Hi 68,

I am sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but winning an award is not the only reason to bring a car to a show. I love to see what others have done and also, discuss what worked and didn't work on my build.

I for one, would love to see your car at GGC. Your car may still have a chance, even though a Chevy II won last year. Bob J may have the inside track right now, but that dosn't mean that you could not pass him in the final turn before the finish line.

I for one am going to attend. I don't hold much hope for SMOTY or even the top 5. Hell, I don't even know if my car will make it into the top 100. Just the same, I will be there.

OBTW, if you are parked on one side of Bob's Cuda, could I have the other? I think that the yellow Stang next to the orange Cuda would show an interesting extreem in both style and colors. The subtle next to the extreem. Also, whenever anyone came up to talk about the Cuda, I could pull them away toward the Stang. :-)

Whatever happens at a show happens. Nothing you can do about it after you get there. The judges decision will be what ever it will be. Just bring your car and have fun.

Travis B
03-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Dude, you're standing right next to Travis. You don't have to yell. :fart: :lmao:

Actually he is in another building.....

Travis B
03-08-2006, 10:30 AM

I will kindly agree to dissagree.....

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Well I hope you guys are taking good care of my yellow Caprice for me while I save up my pennies.

Travis B
03-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Well I hope you guys are taking good care of my yellow Caprice for me while I save up my pennies.

yes sir we are...actually getting ready to repaint the roof and possibly build some chrome like a real vinly top car has on it

rocketman
03-08-2006, 10:58 AM
if you guys remember the 1st 69 camaro that the tucker's did,was at columbus gooyguys in 2000,was yellow with black stripes,that was a street rod/pro touring all in one.

bob's cuda is like a modern exotic,brake's,handling,the best super engineering you can get.killer ride.not a street machine imo,sorry bob,thing still rocks,i'd like to see it on the autobana with the best exotic out there,that would be a killer shootout.

you want a street machine build a mini tubbed or full pro street ????????,with a bb and blower,some pro stars,and thats a street machine

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi 68,
I am sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but winning an award is not the only reason to bring a car to a show. I love to see what others have done and also, discuss what worked and didn't work on my build. I for one, would love to see your car at GGC. Just bring your car and have fun.

What's up Bob,
Your car came out great. I look forward to seeing it in person. The wheels made a huge difference. Don't worry, I'm not offended. And I know how the whole show thingie works. We'll have fun. I look forward to meeting you in person. Are you guys doing Power Tour with the stang?

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 11:06 AM
yes sir we are...actually getting ready to repaint the roof and possibly build some chrome like a real vinly top car has on it

Oof! I freakin love that car! What's it got for a drivetrain?

Travis B
03-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Oof! I freakin love that car! What's it got for a drivetrain?

.60 283,dart iron eagle heads,comp valvetrain 4/7 sawp cam,dual 4's,700r4,rear diff has been completly gone through 4.10 gears,all the hotchkis goodies you can get, and bear brakes

MarkM66
03-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I will kindly agree to dissagree.....

kennyd's response:

Travis!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

SN65
03-08-2006, 11:39 AM
What's up Bob,
Your car came out great. I look forward to seeing it in person. The wheels made a huge difference. Don't worry, I'm not offended. And I know how the whole show thingie works. We'll have fun. I look forward to meeting you in person. Are you guys doing Power Tour with the stang?
Hi 68,

Yes we will be doing the power tour. That is unless some unforseen natural calamity keeps us from going.

As far as SMOTY, I view our car as the dark horse (no pun intended). For us to get any consideration, the judges are going to have to stop, look closely and study what we have done. If they just give it a passing glance, we are doomed.

With that said, the judges at the Autorama said that of all the cars there, ours was the only car they saw where the window trim was cauked with butyl. They asked my brother how such a young fellow knew such an old school trick. Wayne said that he was older than he looked. :-)

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 11:44 AM
.60 283,dart iron eagle heads,comp valvetrain 4/7 sawp cam,dual 4's,700r4,rear diff has been completly gone through 4.10 gears,all the hotchkis goodies you can get, and bear brakes

Thanks. I'll be sure and yank that 283 as soon as I get it home. Needs a paddle shifted 4L60E too. You guys have a Lay-A-Way plan?

kennyd
03-08-2006, 11:49 AM

DUDE , he is in a different building .

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Alright already! I know! (Let's see if this works :dunno: )

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142916#post142916

(neat trick, huh?)

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Here ya go. This should drive my point home. One car treats the engine like a dirty little secret. The other car celebrates the engine, the engine compartment and all things mechanical. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who cares? Just my opinion.

PIGFORD
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
JOHNSON
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/03/002-1.jpg

kennyd
03-08-2006, 12:20 PM
streetrod , walks like a duck , quacks like a duck ..........must be a duck

Travis B
03-08-2006, 01:00 PM

still disagree....sorry guys just my opinion

oh and take your ducks and stick them in your a$$.....hahaha well discuss this later

Steve1968LS2
03-08-2006, 01:22 PM
oh and take your ducks and stick them in your a$$.....

lol

Roger Poirier
03-08-2006, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=SN65]Hi 68,

I am sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but winning an award is not the only reason to bring a car to a show. I love to see what others have done and also, discuss what worked and didn't work on my build. [QUOTE=SN65]

Any one in it for the awards only - may have a screw loose. Thats just my opinion. Nothing personal. SN65 I completely agree with you.

At the awards ceremony for Detroit Autorama, they gave out trophys in 100+ classes. Even dune buggys and go-carts get awards. Yet cars like Poison Dart, SN65 don't. WHY?

Awards are a joke! I won my first time out showing the car, and it was at Detroit Autorama. It made me sick. My wife went up to pick up the award, I instead left the event and went to dinner.

I will take my cars to other shows, however, I will never have it judged in an event again. I didn't even take home my own trophy. I gave it to the guys who did the work on the car.

R.P.

kennyd
03-08-2006, 02:25 PM
did the sn65 not win anything?

SN65
03-08-2006, 02:37 PM
did the sn65 not win anything?
Well....

Actually....

We were presented with the Judges "Outstanding Engineered" award.

Best engineered car at the Autorama... In the contry... IN THE WORLD!!!!!! :-)

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Have you seen my car? A gold Chevy with a Mopar inspired stripe and dull wheels. I built my car to piss everyone off. I'm still wierded out when folks compliment my ride. So don't get the wrong idea. I could care less about the awards. But as an industry insider, I'm amazed at the number of the influencial aftermarket kingpins who just can't grasp Kenny's basic Duck scenario. Quack, waddle. Hey what's that? Let's lump this together with that. And let's homogenize and pasteurize the whole damn thing until all of the excitement has been sucked out of the concept. We may not even be talking about hot rods here. We might as well be talking about radio or some other form of creativity.

There must've been a point where Johnson and Johnson were standing around deciding how to style their engine compartment. All I'm saying is that I'm glad they decided to show off that beautiful honkin' hemi instead of covering it with a highly stylized bedpan.

ProdigyCustoms
03-08-2006, 03:11 PM
All I'm saying is that I'm glad they decided to show off that beautiful honkin' hemi instead of covering it with a highly stylized bedpan.

And still Bob's car has street rod influence and details, and I love it. The facts are street rods have been leaps and bounds ahead of the curve in creative and quality. We have officialy changed from Pro Touring Specialist, to Street Rod Inspired Muscle Car Specialist, or as Steve calls them, Mod Rods, or Muscle Rides.

rocketman
03-08-2006, 03:14 PM
hell,lets all go back to pro streetin everthing and we all be fine.long live pro street.hehehe

onebad2
03-08-2006, 05:36 PM

How is JP coming on his car is there any update???

Bob Johnson
03-08-2006, 06:02 PM
The cuda has to be a strong contender if not the ringer for the SMOY award this year. Certainly not because it is Bob's car or the fact he is here. Just the facts, and car it self has to put it at or damn near the top. I know I would hate to think I had a car in the running this year.
Why aren't you? Come on in..the water's fine..

Bob Johnson
03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
flat footed don't give a phuk??

Damn True
03-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Have you seen my car? A gold Chevy with a Mopar inspired stripe and dull wheels. I built my car to piss everyone off.

Here's to scarin the straights!

:cheers:

Bob Johnson
03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Have you seen my car? A gold Chevy with a Mopar inspired stripe and dull wheels. I built my car to piss everyone off. I'm still wierded out when folks compliment my ride. So don't get the wrong idea. I could care less about the awards. But as an industry insider, I'm amazed at the number of the influencial aftermarket kingpins who just can't grasp Kenny's basic Duck scenario. Quack, waddle. Hey what's that? Let's lump this together with that. And let's homogenize and pasteurize the whole damn thing until all of the excitement has been sucked out of the concept. We may not even be talking about hot rods here. We might as well be talking about radio or some other form of creativity.

There must've been a point where Johnson and Johnson were standing around deciding how to style their engine compartment. All I'm saying is that I'm glad they decided to show off that beautiful honkin' hemi instead of covering it with a highly stylized bedpan.
you will never see an engine compartment of Alan's or mine that has a big cover hiding all the uglies under it..That's the cheap/easy/total lack of creativity and imagination way of doing things..not our style..

Steve Chryssos
03-08-2006, 06:18 PM
How is JP coming on his car is there any update???

It's coming along well. It's done for the most part. The LS1 engine is going in any day if it's not installed already. John is starting to say things like "Man I hope my interior guy doesn't take too long...." So he must be getting close.

Sorry. No pix.

Travis B
03-09-2006, 05:49 AM
you will never see an engine compartment of Alan's or mine that has a big cover hiding all the uglies under it..That's the cheap/easy/total lack of creativity and imagination way of doing things..not our style..

whats funny is under pigford cover is just as nice as the top of the car....the bottom of the engine cover is even airbrushed the exact same way the top of it is...just because its covered doesn't mean he is hiding anything

Bob Johnson
03-09-2006, 08:04 AM
whats funny is under pigford cover is just as nice as the top of the car....the bottom of the engine cover is even airbrushed the exact same way the top of it is...just because its covered doesn't mean he is hiding anything
then why do it that way? why hide beauty or innovative pieces? I have never cared for the big covers. I like to see the mechanics of what makes the beast. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream..different strokes..Roy's won the big un and I haven't..maybe he's right..but I'm too old to change my tastes..if I'm going to spend the big cheese, it's going to be to my taste..win or lose..btw I liked Pigford's car..just Alloway's was more to my taste..Roy's had more work in it though..

Travis B
03-09-2006, 08:32 AM
then why do it that way? why hide beauty or innovative pieces? I have never cared for the big covers. I like to see the mechanics of what makes the beast. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream..different strokes..Roy's won the big un and I haven't..maybe he's right..but I'm too old to change my tastes..if I'm going to spend the big cheese, it's going to be to my taste..win or lose..btw I liked Pigford's car..just Alloway's was more to my taste..Roy's had more work in it though..

I really don't know why he covered it??? that is a good question. I actually like seeing all the mechanics in an engine bay as well I would much rather see everything than just see a cover, they get boring real quick. Pigfords car is one of the few I would dare to call flawless though...everytime I see it I look at and try to find a flaw somewhere....keep telling myself I'll find one but I don't think there is one there. Has to on my list as one of the nicest cars i've seen

SN65
03-09-2006, 08:51 AM
SNIP...

btw I liked Pigford's car..just Alloway's was more to my taste..Roy's had more work in it though..
Hi Bob,

So... Do you think the "judges" take the amount of work involved into consideration? Or... Is it the end results that matter most?

For example, there are many things on your ride that could have been achieved in a less expensive, less labor intensive fashion. It would have looked the same (or similar), but it would not have been anywhere near as cool. But to understand that, they have to talk to you about the build, go over all the inovative things you have done, etc... If not, they might not understand exacly what you have done. And that would be a shame.

Bob