PDA

View Full Version : Removing C-clips

Dan Pena
03-04-2006, 09:55 PM
im having a hard time removing my "c" clips to pull my axles out. im pushing on an axle and trying to spread the clip with a flat head. is there anyone with some tips.

OHCbird
03-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Your C clips should come out with needle nose pliers; they basically just sit in there. Make sure you have the gap in the clip pointed torward the front of the car.

67RScamaroVette
03-04-2006, 11:35 PM
magnet-pens work well, too.

OHCbird
03-04-2006, 11:50 PM
That was my next suggestion- the 5.99 'pick up your engine block' magnets at Harbor Island or Northern Tool. OK, OK- you should really use something smaller...

rocketrod
03-05-2006, 03:52 AM
im having a hard time removing my "c" clips to pull my axles out. im pushing on an axle and trying to spread the clip with a flat head. is there anyone with some tips.
We'll assume you have removed the carrier pin lockbolt and shaft already..... Instead of manually pushing in on the axle use a clamp and lightly apply pressure to push the axle in. Then use a pen magnet to temove the C-clips.

gmachinz
03-05-2006, 05:14 AM
You should be able to get them out with a mag. tool as suggested-axle should move inboard about 1/8" or so on each side. Caution: Do not rotate the differential with your axles removed and don't remove both at once. Your idler gears will "spin" out. If they do, keep your spacers with the coorect gears and you can rotate them back in with out too much hassle-I've had to do it. Just be careful not to turn anything once either side is apart. -Jabin

rocketrod
03-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Caution: Do not rotate the differential with your axles removed and don't remove both at once. Your idler gears will "spin" out. If they do, keep your spacers with the coorect gears and you can rotate them back in with out too much hassle-I've had to do it. Just be careful not to turn anything once either side is apart. -Jabin
By spacers and correct gears are you referring to the thrust washers and spider gears? The thrust washers can be fun to put back in.

Dan Pena
03-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Got a car with traction control? The sensor is prohibiting the axle to move in far enough. I removed the sensor from the backing plate and it will allow you more room to slide it inward to drop the c-clips. thanx for your advice everyone.