PDA

View Full Version : Does your Wife/girlfriend "GET IT" Im a bit miffed

LowBuckX
10-05-2004, 11:28 PM
This story goes with alot of things just substitute the project for another.

So when I was planning my front flip hood I was fiddling around with card board templates for weeks. The wife often asked how is it going to work and Id show her over and over and over with nothing clicking in her head. But i realy dont exspect her to see what I see in a form like that.
But now after banging cutting welding I have a working front tilt hood. i bring her out to show her and i get a blank stare and "Thats nice" .. Not "COOL" or"WOW" just a cold "Thats nice"
That took the wind out of my sails and made me feel small.

So I say "thats all you have to say" pause "I struggled for weeks to make it work in cardboard and now I made it work in real life from scratch" Her responce "Well I know your smart"

My last words "Forget it go back to your TV"

Does your girl do stuff like this? Does she get what this is all about

MrQuick
10-06-2004, 12:07 AM
my girlfriend is a car freak too so she doesn't count... how do you react when she colors her hair? Don't expect too much, and try not to take it personal. Hey atleast she said you are smart...even tho you spelled different wrong...or was that the joke? just kidding I ain't so bryte ether.
I think you should try to communicate your feelings to her.

68ls1
10-06-2004, 01:59 AM
My girlfriend used to. Solved that. Adios. :lol: Vince, I just peed myself. Thaat wus damn funy. I'm pretty sure thats part of the joke though.

Chill, Noel.

Steve Chryssos
10-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Sounds to me like your design is flawed. For example: Try lining the underside with cedar so that your engine compartment doubles as a moth-proof closet.

Yeah after 15 years of marriage, my wife can tell the difference between raw, in process and finished. I bought a custom fender blank for my motorcycle. Asked her opinion on the basic shape. She said "It's too big." (Of course it is honey, it's a blank--that way I can trim and finish it to my tastes) Then I trimmed it and she said "Looks crooked" (Of course it is honey, I'm not finished yet) Finished it yesterday and without prompting from me, she walks past it and says: "Hey the fender's finished!! That looks great!" (Thanks babe)

She gets it. So does your girl. She just doesn't care. And that's okay. You can't force her to care. Let it go.
/Steevo

dennis68
10-06-2004, 05:32 AM
My wife used to go the shows, help in the garage, and even "enjoy" going cruising, now she barely tolerates it, never goes to the shows, and runs when I tell her I'm going into the garage for awhile. I guess she "grew up" I'm not sure what it means but she keeps telling me I should try it, doesn't seem like much much fun so.....HELL NO.

StRacerDuke
10-06-2004, 06:07 AM
My G/F's actualy eager to learn about everything. I'm a little afraid of teaching her to weld because she will probably run circles around me (She's an ivy league Dr.) We have a good understanding though. When ever I want to start a new project she gets something sparkly, aka another nice rock. It seams to work so far...

jonny51
10-06-2004, 06:21 AM
My G/F's actualy eager to learn about everything. I'm a little afraid of teaching her to weld because she will probably run circles around me (She's an ivy league Dr.) We have a good understanding though. When ever I want to start a new project she gets something sparkly, aka another nice rock. It seams to work so far...

Funny every time I spend a good amount of money on my car's my wife says "Honey I want this many karets" those rock's sure grows alot.

zbugger
10-06-2004, 06:57 AM
I don't have a girlfriend, so I don't get that from her, but I do get it from almost everyone else. Family included. So I come here and feel more at home. Been like that for years, so I got used to it. It tends to suck, but I like what I do. I'm building the car for myself. Nobody else has to like it. That's just me.

will69camaro
10-06-2004, 07:19 AM
My girlfriend is as into cars as i am...She's more enthusiastic about going to car shows or working in the garage than i am...

William

ProdigyCustoms
10-06-2004, 07:50 AM
For years I thought I wanted a wife that was into cars. So I got one some 18 years ago, and forced the car stuff on her. She went along, but later I realized that all I had done was increase everything by 2. I Have to maintain 2 cars (hotrods), it cost double to get into the show, or the race, double sovenier Tee shirts, and it really interferes with the guy talk that so goes with the hobby. Ya know, the "car" talk!
Now, I like her to come along sometimes, but most times I wish she had a Tuperware party or something to do.
See ya at SEMA, she will be there!

68BNUT
10-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Try going shopping with her and getting excited about a new work outfit she may buy, thats probably about how excited she was about the hood?? My wife just signs for the packages puts em in the garage and says you got some prizes for your car today, which means go work on your car.... I do know I have the last two weeks in october off and I bought 4 wheel discs to stay outta her hair.(she offices from the house) Of course she likes to go the shows its just a little hard to play it cool when you win something when your wife is over there woopin and hollering for ya :3rd: :jump:

CAMAROBOY69
10-06-2004, 09:03 AM
My girfriend gets it for sure. At first she didn't but after attending a few car shows and a lot of explanation she really gets it now. She saw the dramatic transformation of my car in a very little amount of time so she was amazed. She also saw how excited people got when they looked at my car when we drove around. She would get such a huge smile on her face when people would compliment the car. :)
Recently we bought her the 67 Mustang project so I could help teach her as much as I know about cars.
She is at the point now where she can tell me what almost any old car is by looking at it. Heck she even surprises me sometimes and talks about flywheels and clutches and stuff.
The most funny part is she learned a LOT about car parts by playing Gran Turismo 3 on the Playstation 2 with me. :woot:

BigCat
10-06-2004, 09:18 AM
My wife gets it. Her Dad bought a '66 Mustang for her 16th b-day that needed a ton of work. He made her help when ever something needed to be done. She knows more than any woman I've ever met. The stang is next on our list to restore. PT I hope, but it's her car, her choice.

:crying: One bad thing, she knows the difference between want and need. She won't fall for the "it needs more horsepower to get better gas mileage, and honey, it's all about the gas mileage". She just laughs and says, no.

RatMalibu
10-06-2004, 09:24 AM
mine just tells me to go play with my car and leave her alone......12 year wedding anniversary is this friday and its always been that way and I'm sure it always will be lol.....I've heard "You love your stupid car more than me" more than once.....and she's heard "I had the car before you and I'll still have it after you" once too ;) haven't had to use that one again lol

I don't pretend to like to go shopping for clothes with her and she doesn't pretend to like what I like.....I actually kinda like it that way.....I get all the "cool" and "wow's" I need from my son :)

68RallySport
10-06-2004, 09:53 AM
My girl gets it for sure, i mean she is smart as hell but when i start getting passionate about somthing i tend to get a little detailed. After im done explaining the advantages to a forced air induction system it usally goes back to, 'so an hour ago you where talking about those belts spinning on your engine, what are those about again' !!!! Its ok i love her and i love cars so ill keep explaining as long as it takes...
David

PRO TC
10-06-2004, 11:06 AM
shawn i feel your pain. my wife is the same way. its not that she doesnt care she is just very busy.its sucks when you get somthing done and all she can say is thats nice then she goes back in the house to take care of the kids.
barry

Brad
10-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Same shoes as Rat 'bu....The wife does her thing I do mine. She understands the basic concept, thats about it. She does'nt get mad when parts get here or when friends vehicles sit in the drive way or garage for a week or three either. She also has heard the "it was here before you and will be here after you" story too....only had to tell that one ONCE! Anyhow, she does the pampered chef, creative memories,premier jewelry,stamp it up, blah blah blah crap a few nights a week, so I have plenty of garage time...Be glad she has her hobbies or things and you have yours. You're different people, thats what makes it good.

Jagarang
10-08-2004, 04:33 AM
"You love your stupid car more than me" I'd have twin tubos, candy apple paint, and air conditioned rearview mirrors if I had a penny for all the times I've heard this! :enguard:

TRILOGYZ28
10-08-2004, 07:50 AM
I have heard just about everything from women i have dated (and one short marriage).
i guess i should be happy to be single, don't have to hear it anymore.........now, i do what i want, where i want.
and i spend my money however i see fit. :woot: :woot:

yody
10-08-2004, 07:52 AM
.....and masturbate a lot!

TRILOGYZ28
10-08-2004, 07:57 AM
yeah, but i have a choice......lefty or righty ! :naughty:
and no cuddling ! :icon996:
:lmao: :lmao:

CAMAROBOY69
10-08-2004, 09:35 AM
CLICK HERE (http://wavsurfer.tripod.com/wavs/abtmary/hewas.wav) If it doesnt work thats ok just ignore it.

TRILOGYZ28
10-08-2004, 11:37 AM
CLICK HERE (http://wavsurfer.tripod.com/wavs/abtmary/hewas.wav) If it doesnt work thats ok just ignore it.

rotflol !! :rolleyes5

indyjps
10-10-2004, 05:00 PM
i had a breakthru this weekend, i was boxing up some LS6 heads to ship out and she knew they were heads. she noted my surprise and said ya and thats a block. wonderful, theres hope for her still.

Paul69camaro
10-27-2004, 07:55 AM
I was lucky, I used to have a girlfriend that was really into cars. She actually went out a bought a 69 Nova to start working on. But i agree with Prodigy, cut the time i worked on my car in half, was always doing something to the nova, instead of my rides. But gotta admit, got me everytime i would see her pull up in the nova(the nova that is :seizure: ) That Nova sounded sweet, (gotta love the sound of a healthy cammed small block) But all in all it was pretty cool coause i could spend all day working on my car and not hear any crap about it(except for when i'll tell her i would take her out on the town and ended up turning wrenches all night)

jfreakofkorn
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Wifes/girlfriends, its either they like it or not.

If they like it, they ll support you.

If they dont like it, they keep themselves busy with other things ( TV, shopping, complain, etc... )

Its a 2 way blade....

rfalker1
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
mine is just confused, but hey its fun explaining stuff that I just learned that she doesn't have any knowledge about.

Windycity1
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
My cars and anything related to them is to get away from my wife. I think my hobby will outlast my wife for sure.

absintheisfun
04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
I think that my wife fits into a unique spot on the poll.

She isn't really for getting dirty (she may be, but hasn't been begging me to help block sand :) ). That said, she doesn't run from it and will always lend a hand if I need it.
She give me the "oh, thats nice" sometimes, but also gets really enthusiastic at other times.

She loves going to car shows, has a project truck in the waiting, and can easily admire the effort and beauty that goes into a vehicle. I think that she "gets it" more than others, but at the same time calls my Typhoon "The great white Bi+ch"

Rybar
04-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Holy 6 year old thread guys !!

1969CamaroRS
04-28-2011, 02:24 PM

That is because wives/girlfriends have longgg memories :)

absintheisfun
04-28-2011, 07:20 PM

I noticed that after I replied....not really sure what dug it up.

DarkBuddha
04-30-2011, 04:37 AM
No, my wife doesn't get it most of the time. Good example is that last night I finished porting my turbo exhaust manifold and matching the turbine inlet, and when I asked her if she wanted to check it out, she redirected to conversation towards our kids' school stuff. Definitely muted my enthusiasm there a minute.

That said, every once in a while she surprises me, but it's usually pretty random when she does. But I'll take what I can get. And at the same time, I have to admit that I don't get her stuff all the time either... my eyes glaze over after a few minutes of her talking about lots of stuff. I find it difficult to get too enthused about her negotiating for a better cell phone deal, or her discovery of a new kid's gym to hold our kid's birthday party, or her finding a "killer" deal for a Disney resort hotel room ($165/night is "killer"?). I've gotten better about feigning interest and enthusiasm for that stuff, but just not as long as she'd probably like.

69stang
04-30-2011, 05:40 AM
The wife looks at me and says "uh-huh, that's nice". She leaves me to my hobby and has no interest in it. My oldest daughter is like her mom but my youngest occasionally asks about something I'm doing. Both think I'm just doing daddy things. All more or less leave me alone so its my get-away time. I keep my successes pretty much to myself anymore.

Bad Bird
05-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I've had pretty good luck with girlfriends in the spectrum of tolerating to loving the hobby. It's the family that just don't get it. "For the cost of that old bucket you could have bought a new Honda". What enjoyment would I get out of that?!

2timegoldtransam
05-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Heck mine won't even follow me to the muffler shop so I can drop off the T/A to get my exhaust done.
I'll either have to wait there all day or walk home 10 miles.

Kenova
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Heck mine won't even follow me to the muffler shop so I can drop off the T/A to get my exhaust done.
I'll either have to wait there all day or walk home 10 miles.

Drive yourself to the muffler shop and spend the whole day there, even if they are done early. Make a point of having every key for every vehicle you have in your pocket.

Ken

Project92rs
05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
I guess I can say my wife gets it.... she drove the car at RTTC II. So far the breakdown has been she breaks it, I build it (or bankroll the build depending on what broke). Lately she's been talking about getting greasy with the rest of us in the garage but we'll see what happens.

And she's to blame for the list of projects waiting in the wings... 79 TA waiting on a LS motor and full pro-touring build. 82 Z28 with a still undecided future. She also has started buying me car parts for presents. Nice things like the big red race valve from Procharger for my car....

mc84_zz4
05-10-2011, 06:02 AM
My wife understands it, but avoids getting into the details.
Although my wife & son bought me some valve covers for Xmas for the new engine, so they tolerate my insanity.

406 Q-ship
05-10-2011, 07:02 AM
As the single friend of many married car guys, it has been my observation that more wives/girlfreinds would do the car pieces presents if they felt comfortable with what to buy for their man. I have had to guide many a GF and wife to what the guy really wanted for the car, so they could get that special gift. So next time your in 7-11 at mid-night buying that "special" gift for whatever event, put some thought into it cause they do. Out of the GF's I have had over the years, only two were really into the car thing, one I had to work on her car (made it faster than mine). The other car chick is so supportive and works on her own stuff or mine if that is needed, she really is the ultimate car babe! The ones that fane interest (especially when dating), you better accept that she just is not into it and if you need that, find another who is into your hobby. Oh to the ladies who are into cars, all this applys to your guy, if he isn't into cars then accept it or find one who is (if it is that important). I could never be with a person who was not supportive of my hobbies, the cars were here before you and will be long after your gone......and I wonder why I am not married?

Flash68
05-10-2011, 07:51 AM

That's the longest I have seen dug up! Impressive.

John Wright
05-10-2011, 08:48 AM
That's the longest I have seen dug up! Impressive.

Wonder if LowBuckX's situation has improved since he posted the original post?
...my guess would be "no", mine still doesn't get it either and it's been 19 years, so I've sorta given up on the thought that she might one day...."get it".

shortrack
05-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Im lucky, my wife totally gets it....her first car was a bright red '70 Cutlass which she drove until it wouldnt drive anymore....shes kind of claimed the Iroc as "her" car lol, she loves the V8 and the 5 spd!....she's blown away by the chevelle project and keeps up with every step of the process...I tease her that she could go to other guys garages and tell them what they are doing wrong with their project haha.....she loves airing out the boat at top speed and hanging corners....shes great...heres a pic of her out in the garage and another one of her doing one of her fav things on the boat....she turned 51 last month, shes awesome

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/05/newstuff021-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/05/Breathless-1.jpg

73GA
05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
D'OH!!! Are you serious!? Your wife is gorgeous AND into the whole car scene! You are livin' the life my friend! Congrats! ;-)

Im lucky, my wife totally gets it....her first car was a bright red '70 Cutlass which she drove until it wouldnt drive anymore....shes kind of claimed the Iroc as "her" car lol, she loves the V8 and the 5 spd!....she's blown away by the chevelle project and keeps up with every step of the process...I tease her that she could go to other guys garages and tell them what they are doing wrong with their project haha.....she loves airing out the boat at top speed and hanging corners....shes great...heres a pic of her out in the garage and another one of her doing one of her fav things on the boat....she turned 51 last month, shes awesome

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/05/newstuff021-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2011/05/Breathless-1.jpg

Ishmael
05-16-2011, 03:13 PM
No way. No friggin way. I look down the page expecting to see some old lady holding a fishing pole and I just about sprouted pole myself. No way that picture is of a 51 year old. I feel so wrong right now. Well done and give my best to your lovely wife.

Chadly B
05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
well, guys, this might sound weird, but I've been dating this one off and on for 3 years, (exclusive for the last year and a half) and she's happy to tag along to shows and races and enjoys hanging out with my "car guy" friends....and she knows I'm going to be doing a car very soon and has expressed interest in it....we'll see how it goes, I DO think she'll at least tolerate it.....which is way way better than my ex-wife of 12 years, who would get mad every time I ordered a set of headers or rocker arms, when she thought "the family" needed new carpet every two years and constantly had me selling stuff to bail us out of financial peril that I had no input in (oh, hey, I bought this a while back, and I haven't paid them, now they are mad....what are we gonna do?) So........I'll be happy with anything but the situation I was in.....and I must say, the current one is fantastic in every way possible, and if it falls apart, I'll be like the rest of the single guys......have a cool car and masturbate a lot.....lol!

Kenova
05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
......... and if it falls apart, I'll be like the rest of the single guys......have a cool car and masturbate a lot.....lol!
Hey, there's nothing wrong with being independent and self sufficient. LOL

Ken

AKlowriderZ71
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Mine gets it. She's the one that found the car we are working on now.

nekkidhillbilly
05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
tiff could give a ***** less