PDA

View Full Version : Unisteer Question

jdpepper
03-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I have the power assisted rack and am also running a hydroboost, just wondering if I can disconnect and plug the power steering lines to the rack permanently? Will doing this ruin the rack?

chicane67
03-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I dont think so. But your steering effort will increase.

jdpepper
03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
I dont think so. But your steering effort will increase.

Do you think the steering effort will be the same as the unisteer manual rack? Thanks

GBodyGMachine
03-04-2006, 07:23 AM
A Power Rack Is Ment To Be A Power Rack. If You Drain All The Fluid From The Rack, Steering Effort Wont Be As Bad As If You Lost You Pump Lets Say. But Steering Effort Will Still Be More Than If You Had A Manual Rack. Also If You Drain All The Fluid Out Of The Rack, You Loose Lubrication. But If You Leave It In, You Have To Rotate The Gears And Move Fluid, That Is Why A Power Steering System Whose Pump Went Out Is So Hard To Steer.

Jeff

EFI69Cam
03-04-2006, 08:17 AM
A Power Rack Is Ment To Be A Power Rack. If You Drain All The Fluid From The Rack, Steering Effort Wont Be As Bad As If You Lost You Pump Lets Say. But Steering Effort Will Still Be More Than If You Had A Manual Rack. Also If You Drain All The Fluid Out Of The Rack, You Loose Lubrication. But If You Leave It In, You Have To Rotate The Gears And Move Fluid, That Is Why A Power Steering System Whose Pump Went Out Is So Hard To Steer.

Jeff

I was thinking he ought to put a line from the pressure to return line and leave it filled with fluid. That leaves the lubrication in there, and not fighting pressure build up on either end.

If you're running a pump anyways, what is there to gain not running pressure to the rack?

GBodyGMachine
03-04-2006, 08:49 AM
You can loop the lines, but you still have to pump fluid from side to side, it adds resistance, even if its not alot.

Jeff

jdpepper
03-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I was thinking he ought to put a line from the pressure to return line and leave it filled with fluid. That leaves the lubrication in there, and not fighting pressure build up on either end.

If you're running a pump anyways, what is there to gain not running pressure to the rack?

There is something wrong with the rack, I burned up two pumps with it hooked up. If I bypass the rack and leave only the hydroboost the pump is ok. I tried hooking the rack by itself but it would boil the fluid and stall the motor.

Do you guys think if I plug the high pressure line from the hydroboost to the rack and leave the low pressure return from the rack hooked up, the rack will still be lubricated? There's obviously something wrong with the rack, I'm just trying to buy time before I can actually send it in for repair. Thanks

jdpepper
03-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Talked to someone at unisteer today, turns out they installed check valves in the high pressure side of the rack just underneath the banjo fitting on the early models. The guy said they stopped installing the check valve after receiving many calls like mine. I removed them like they instructed and now the problem solved.

My only gripe is that they (unisteer) should of contacted all the early customers about this possible problem occuring, it would of saved me alot of money and time.

I hope this helps those who have the early run racks......

shanekennedy
03-07-2006, 05:16 AM
i bet they made no offer to reimburse you for the pumps they ruined. that really bites that they knew of the problem & told no one. i haven't install my unisteer yet. i'll look for the check valves.