PDA

View Full Version : Ditch the a/c?

LS1_78Bandit
03-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm in the process of installing the LS1 into my 78 T/A and wondering what to do about the a/c. I really don't want to notch the frame, so I would need a new accessory bracket. I think S&P's is like $300.

It's been a long time since this car has actually run, but my recollection is that when it did run the a/c wasn't too great to begin with. With the $300 accessory bracket, and the effort to do the adapting of the LS1 compressor to the 2nd gen system, plus the weight and cluttered engine bay ... I was thinking of ditching the a/c.

If I do ditch the a/c, I'd get the american graffiti a/c delete box.

Now if I later decide that I can't live without the a/c, how hard would it be to put it back in - including having to put in the new accessory bracket and the compressor? Am I going to have to pull the engine?

Since I don't have the capabilities to do this work myself, a shop would have to do all the work, so time is $$.

Should I just play it safe and keep the a/c in and do the adapting?

BTW - I live in NorCal. This isn't a daily driver, but it is primarily a street car.

Steve1968LS2
03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
In NorCal I would ditch the AC.. heck, I'm in SoCal and I ditched the AC, Heat, Wipers and most other stuff. lol

I found in my 2000 SS Camaro that I hardly ever used the AC and prefered to cruise with the windows down.

Changing my mind later and wanting to add AC would be "challenging".. would most likely be easier to use a compact unit like those from Vintage Air rather than ripping the car apart to add factory air.

Damn True
03-03-2006, 05:08 PM
It's my understanding that there is now a bracket offered that will allow you to move the compressor to the top, passenger side of the motor. Don't know who makes it though.

I'm still undecided on AC myself.

LS1_78Bandit
03-03-2006, 06:22 PM
It's my understanding that there is now a bracket offered that will allow you to move the compressor to the top, passenger side of the motor. Don't know who makes it though.

Yes. That's the $300 S&P bracket I mentioned.

RobM
03-03-2006, 07:50 PM
ditch the ac and get one of those cool suits!

nekkidhillbilly
03-03-2006, 08:14 PM
theres a guy on ls1tech that builds them for like 197 bucks or you could build one from his template real cheaply

Damn True
03-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Yes. That's the $300 S&P bracket I mentioned.

Sometimes I read PT.com while drinking.

I s'pose the first step is to admit I have a problem.

Steve68
03-03-2006, 08:42 PM
S&P makes one, it looks real stupid, mounts up high, I personally will have A/C but not with that mount

LS1_78Bandit
03-04-2006, 07:48 AM
theres a guy on ls1tech that builds them for like 197 bucks or you could build one from his template real cheaply
Do you know who it is?