PDA

View Full Version : looking for amc advice

knuckledragger
03-02-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a 67 rambler american and am looking for suspension and sway bar advice.I cannot find much info on modifying or improving the handling,so any help would be appreciated.Btw it will be running a turbocharged jeep4.0 6cyl and aw4 auto trans.Thanks,Dan

David Pozzi
03-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Adco may have anti-roll bars for it. If not, a custom bar could be made for the front, and almost any of the common rear bars could be adapted.

If you want stiffer springs, the Moog replacement coil for your car is a #3048 the rate is 86 lbs/inch the coil is 4.05"ID, free length is 19.209" this should be equal to what you have now.

Just guessing, I'd say you want to double the stock front and rear spring rates, something in the 200 lb/in range.
The Moog catalog says your coils have "square ends" I'm not sure what that looks like.
There are some other Moog coils with different shape ends that may work for you.
Let me know if you want me to investigate.

Are the rear springs leaf springs?

knuckledragger
03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
The rear does have leaf springs,they are sagging badly.The last owner installed air shocks to get a normal ride height.If new springs are not available there is a spring shop in town who will rebuild them.Thanks for the spring info.,Dan

David Pozzi
03-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Moog lists a stiffer front spring but it's over 400 lbs/in.
I woudn't just rebuild the springs, I'd increase the rate by double the stock rate front and rear.
You may be able to sub a circle track 4" coil in the front.