PDA

View Full Version : school

RobM
10-05-2004, 05:34 PM
well ive decided the comunity college ive been atending isnt at all for me and my next move is to get into a tech school. right now the two schools ive been looking at are SAM (school of automotive machinists, www.samracing.com) and wyoming tech (www.wyotech.com), i need some real world unbias advice from thoughs of you on this board who are in the automotive field. I am VERY interested in high performance engines of all types, metal and composit fabrication, and building cars of all types. will these schools really launch me into the world of high performance? or will i most likely have to settle for a job in a more conventional automotive field? are their any other schools out there that i should be looking at? has any one atended these schools? would it be worth it to antend both one right after the other? i feel that i have great potential in the automotive aftermarket buisness, ive been working on cars an building things since i was born and im also a pretty decent sales person. so what should i do to get into a job in this field?

ProdigyCustoms
10-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Michael and I have met with WyoTech reps, and we are considering him going there for a year, even though he may be able to teach the class when he gets there. I think it would be good experience and he surely would learn things he has not learned working at our shop. I think Wyo is as good a program as it could be, in the short period of time it last. Wyo is not cheap, but probably worth it, as there are not many shops that would let you experiment on high dollar projects, even for no pay, with no experience at all.
With all that said, there is no substitute for experience, and one year, and one project car, does not a great one make. If you want to do this, I would also plan on 4 years of apprenticeship in a good shop, Basically starting as the ***** and working for a not so great pay, but paying attention and learning everything you can from the old timers, all while getting paid. Usually once you earn an old timers respect, and pay your dues so to speak, most will take pride in training a trainable protegee.
As far as a career, you probably won't get rich, but you can make a decent living. If I was asked what specific area of automotive to focus on, body and painters can make the best money, but it is a nasty dirty job, and has deadly side effects if not done safely

justanova
10-06-2004, 07:31 AM
I know a couple of people that attended wyotech and were happy with the training that they got, they did say though that there isn't much for part time jobs and such in laramie wyoming....just something to think about.

ProdigyCustoms
10-06-2004, 07:42 AM
A campus in PA

RobM
10-06-2004, 07:52 AM
the campus in PA makes alot more sence for me its closer and theres alot more in PA as far as i know

Mark Antrim
10-06-2004, 05:49 PM
i agree with Prodigy Customs, getting your feet wet in a shop and a mentor is a great place to start. Not to sound negative but even with a degree you might start at the bottom anywhere you go. I am a member of automotive rebuilders association. They just posted the top schools for machining a few months back. I'll look it up tomorrow and let you know.

RobM
10-06-2004, 06:35 PM
well thanks for the input, im not scared yet! haha i know this is for me. i eventualy plan to own my own shop any way with my father( who has the experiance on the buisness end of things) oh man i hope the descovery chanle doesnt come knockin on the door!

Mark Antrim
10-07-2004, 03:40 AM
here is the list

more than 1000 hours of contact

DeAnza College Cupertion, Ca
Jones County Jr. College, Ellisville Ms
Northwest Technical College Bemidji Mn
School of Automotive Machinist Houston,Tx
Spokane Community College Spokane,Wa

under 1000 hours of contact

Ferris State University Big Rapids,Mi
Mississippi Delta Community College Moorhead,Ms
Ocean County Vocational Toms River,Nj
Riverland Community College Austin,Mn
Shasta College Redding,Ca
Southwest Wisconsin Tech College Fennimore,Wi
University of Northwest Ohio Lima,Oh

These are for engine building and machining,I do have contact names also. Let me know if you have a question on any of them. I myself went to University of Northwest Ohio. I dont recall Wyotech doing anything with machining or engine building but I could be wrong. Hope this helps

Andrew McBride
10-07-2004, 05:56 AM
I know of a great school in central KS

McPherson College-4 year program that specializes in automotive resoration. the only 4 year program. the kicker is they only except 60 kids a year, but the job placement is incredible. Jay Leno gives tons of $ to the program and they build a car every year for Barrett Jackson. even know it is still college, those guys up there can prepare you. But if you are interested more in building engines alone-wyotech is a good choice. Check it out, you might be interested.

Andrew

RobM
10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
yeah i deffinalty am interested in alot more than building engines, now that 4 year program you spoke of do those 60s guys have any other previous schooling or experiance? or are they just lucky. That sounds right up my ally. also if i were to go into building motors i wouldnt want to just be building small block chevys for the rest of my life, do any of these schools ofer training in any thing other than traditional V8s? right now i feel that my main interest is of building cars in general because thats really what I love most Ive worked on every thing from muscle cars, to street rods, to race cars, to imports to trucks and i love building all types of vehicles.But i am also very interested in motors, cylender head, and forced induction technology is also of very high interest to me. another thing ive been thinking about is which field has the potential for more money engine building or working in a shop building cars? i have so many different questions its hard to put them all into one post and make it seem somewhat organized haha

colt zantop
10-18-2004, 06:58 PM
what a great topic at the perfect time! Im also attending community college and am finding its not for me.......I have read everything there is to read on wyotech's website and I beleive it is what will be best for me....they offer everything from high performance motors to interior design,to metal fabrication. also, im here in michigan so the PA would be a perfect campus. anyone know what criteria it takes to get in?? Im an amateur when it comes to all of this but can and WILL learn quick.

colt45

RobM
10-18-2004, 07:53 PM
hey colt. yeah all you need is a GED or equivelant, and if your going to the PA campus ill probebly see you there! haha. so far wyotech seems like the best choice for me as well.

TitoJones
10-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I am a degree holder from Wyo Tech, in Laramie. It is a very great school, but its focus is on general repair. Not that this is a bad thing, but they are trying to teach you to become a full line tech at a repair shop or dealership.

I was a tech for Jaguar/Porsche/Aston Martin, and became the Porsche service consultant. It was great pay, long hours, and tons of stress.

If you go to Wyo Tech, go to the street rod portion, or try and go to SAM after Wyo Tech. You can never have enough schooling.

I also agree with Frank about learning from an old time veteran. They have the tricks that you don't learn in school.

As far as campus location, if you can, steer clear of Laramie. I hated it there, but it kept me focused on school as there is nothing else to do.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any specific questions. I may not be able to answer them all, as they were purchased by a new company since I went there, and opened up a few other locations.
Tyler

MrQuick
10-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi Rob, Wyo has a great program now, if you pay attention and learn as much as you can. Most of the guys that say they learned nothing where the guys in the back screwing around.
If you want to be succesful try not to specialize in one field.Get an all around mastering,this will give you a better choice when job hunting or staring a business.Your going to start seeing alot of complete car shops coming around and thats where the moneys at. I've only had a handfull of tech classes and learned most of what I know by doing it.I've worked in the auto field since I was 15 and the best place to learn is in a shop with the old timers.But thats the long way around.
Getting into a dealership is great cause you are trained constantly,but with the spread of flat rate only the fastest will make money.Plus working on 1 make may reduce your knowledge.
" Those who can't teach and those who try preach " me 1987

Blaster11
10-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Two of my nephews went to Wyo Tech in Laramie and were both offered good jobs immediately upon completion, their specialty was Diesel mechanic. Having formerly lived around Laramie area for about ten years you need to understand living in Wyoming is a different way of life. I enjoyed it but have moved on. I would shoot for the PA campus.

Bruce

colt zantop
10-19-2004, 04:52 PM
wow....lots of great info guys. thanks! this is my choice as of right now and the only thing that will hold me from attending is if I dont get accepted. I still need to meet with a rep and all that..fill out the aplication...etc. some of you guys who did attend.....whats an average COST I may be looking at....again, an average....general idea. I plan on going through a few of their programs also becuase I have many interests in this field..... any other info would rock!! thanks guys

colt45

TitoJones
10-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Bruce-

Adjusting from Las Vegas to Laramie is tough. The first day I was there is it was -40 outside and snowing.
We eventually stared calling it:
Why-am-I-here-oming, instead of Wyoming.
The cost of the school for me was close to $27K for nine months not including tool deposits, living costs, ect..
Tyler

RobM
10-20-2004, 05:24 AM
Tyler thats my plan exactly, i want to go to wyotech then SAM imediatly after. Then who knows what ill do. Im also lucky because im artistcly inclined, ive been drawing and designing hot rods/ bikes since as long as i can remeber. so hopfully i could one day own my own shop.

Pro-touring towncar
10-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Well living in Laramie, WY I can tell you that there is a shortage of good paying jobs(Why do you think I drive 45 miles to Cheyenne dayly) But on the other hand I enjoy living there a slower pace of life. Being I grew up in detroit. Wyo tech isn't a bad school we just get a lot of idiots from all over who think there ***** doesn't stink and are complete asses. if I remember right the wyotech Laramie campus is the only one who offers street rod and Hi-perf engine classes. I have often thought about seeing it VA would foot the bill for tuition for Wyotech.

Tim

RobM
10-20-2004, 10:06 AM
the PA campus offers all the same things as the wyoming campus, I talked to rep about it.

zerotofear
11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
If you are looking for dedicated performance fabrication training the metalcraft tools skillcenter has 1280 hrs in 16 different skill sets, Their training also includes over 600 hrs. of build team experience that is in addition to the training program.The team designs, builds, and shows a dedicated project.