PDA

View Full Version : Sorta new....sorta old....

batman
03-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Howdy. I haven't been around the forum for a while due to work, family and all kinds of other distractions. Oh ya, and I sold my cars....:banghead:

Anyway, I haven't lost the passion for our hobby. It was just on hold for a while. Now its time to go shopping. Sometimes "The Hunt" is more fun than the finished product! I am happy to see that this place is growing strong and I hope I can help contribute when appropriate. For those of you who do not know me, I am the Optima Battery guy so please feel free to stump me with any battery related questions. Fortunately for me I work with smart people who can probably help with answers.

Has anyone seen my old Camaro runnin' around SoCal?

Thanks,
Cam

19Nova72
03-02-2006, 08:07 AM
I've got an Optima battery question for ya! An ederly nieghbor of mine has a van that sits for 6 months on end before she drives it. I always have to give her red top a quick one hour charge on 'high' and it fires right up. The other day I charged it for an hour on high, but I can't get the battery to hold more than 7.5v. I've even tried a 2 amp trickle charge several times for maybe 4 hours each time, while charging it will go up to 11.3v, but after I turn the charger off it goes back to 7.5v. I have a hard time believing that battery just went bad, when it probably only has a couple thousand miles on it. Whats the trick to getting a charge back into it? Thanks

Ralph LoGrasso
03-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Welcome back, Cam. It's good to see you posting again. A few months ago, there was a thread on your old Camaro floating around the forum.

vito
03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
The Gel batteries don't hold a charge as well as the AGM batteries. Odyssey states that their batteries will turn your engine over after 2 or so ears of storage (depending on climate).

I have one of these in my sports car and I must say, it is the best looking battery I have ever seen. It has brass terminals and a metal jacket (to dissipate heat).

Here is a link...

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1200lmjt.htm

vito
03-02-2006, 01:03 PM
If I remember correctly (and I usually do) those Gel type batteries go bad pretty quick if not kept charged.

zbugger
03-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Welcome back Cam. I saw your old car here in the SF Bay Area a little while back. It as actually in Los Altos, if I remember correctly. It was also seen at a local shop getting some work done to it. I don't know what work was being done though. I really like that car. It's kinda something to shoot for. So, what's your next project gonna be?

lftnwhls
03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I work on UPS batteries everday eg. wets cells as well as sealed lead acid. Is there a difference when doing an impeadance test from a deep cycle battery to a cranking battery? What should the impeadance and conductance of the average optima be?