PDA

View Full Version : steering vibration resistors

streetk14
03-01-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm in the process of buying the steering parts for the WD subframe that I am finally getting around to installing in my 68 camaro. I'm going with a tilt column from Ididit and fast ratio rack from AGR. I've found the steering shaft and u-joints I need to connect the two. Here's my question: should I use a regular set of u-joints (like the billet joints from Flaming River) or a joint with a built in dampener (http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=172/category_id=79/home_id=82/mode=prod/prd172.htm) ? I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use the factory rag joint with the steering shaft and u-joints. This seems like a good alternative. This is mainly a street car. What should I do? Will I have issues if I don't use any kind of rag joint/vibration reducer?
-Andy

David Pozzi
03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
with no rag joint or similar isolator, the hydraulic "hissing" noise/vibration may be carried up into the steering wheel. You may feel or hear the PS box working.
The subframe will allways move a little vs the body so you need something to flex in the steering.The flaming river joint should work for you.

BRIAN
03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Driven both and the vibration reducer type helps out especially with tight suspension, big rims and low profile tires. I thin FR has a one piece collapsable shaft reducer as one piece. I actually have one to install when car is pulled out of storage. Looked like nice piece. At least I thin it was flaming River. I will have to look.

streetk14
03-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I was thinking of running 2 of them, one for my upper joint, one for my lower joint. Think this is overkill? These damper u-joints don't look like they would be as effective as a traditional rag joint, so that's my reasoning for running 2. What do you guys think?