PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags

KWIKND
10-05-2004, 04:19 PM
I know the consensus is that Air Ride suspensions are not in the same league as some other designs in the handling department. My question is why. Could the deficiencies in the bags be overcome by proper shock/sway bar tuning? Or are the problems too much to overcome. I love the slammed look but I don't want it to handle like a Peterbilt either. Any comments?
Dan :drive:

68ls1
10-05-2004, 11:30 PM
I don't know the company who did it, but they made a 55 (I think) Chevy with a full air ride suspension pull over 1 lateral g. It is possible to have a very nice handling air bag set up. I believe I read it in a Popular Hotrodding quite a while back.

Chill, Noel.

KWIKND
10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
I could live with a "G". Has anyone had any luck or heard of someone with an air bag combo that works say in an "A" body with a BBC? I am leary of some of the rag I mean mag articles due to their conflict of intrest with advertising revenues and all (nothing against PHR). Ever notice how many ads the featured products have in the same issue? I'll take off my tin foil hat now.

DAN

whytry
10-08-2004, 09:13 AM
I ran bags in my 68 Camaro with a BBC for a little while, when my car was setup for drag... Launched pretty hard. I got into the Pro-touring more and changed to 18's and left the bags in all around never really got a chance to try it out in terms of lateral G's, but I had electric valves right off the bags, and that made my suspension act like it was on rails to me, it handled great, because no air left the bag or ran in the line in turns so no real body roll. That combined with a good set up on shocks and you be fine....

My .02... but it worked great for me.

dennis68
10-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Bags can be set up to handle well, as well as a sprung car-no. Bag placement and bag sizing is as important as sta-bar and shocks for tuning and proper geometry.

Ricoch3T
10-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey what do those bags look like in a stock camaro subframe? Install pretty easy?

Air Daddy
10-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey what do those bags look like in a stock camaro subframe? Install pretty easy?

I don't have any pictures but you can get a front kit from Air Ride Technologies.
Installation on their kits is very easy.
The part # for the 67-69 Camaro is ARF 6500.
Air Ride Tech (http://ridetech.com/productinfo/coolride.asp)