PDA

View Full Version : JAF'n new guy

fast Ed
02-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey guys

I've lurked here occasionally, finally took the two minutes to register tonight. LOL

Had many different makes & models of vehicles over the years, GM, Chrysler, VW, but mostly Fords and Mercurys for the last while. Being a Ford parts guy helps to make my choice for hobby cars these days.

Currently I have a 95 Thunderbird Super Coupe (Eaton M90 blown 3.8 V6, with a manual trans.) that is mildly modded ... Konis, Eibachs, SN95 Mustang Cobra 13" brakes, 18" Fittipaldi wheels, a few bolt-on power mods. It gets used on the track occasionally, when I instruct at some open-track events. Hangs on pretty well with Hoosier Grand-Am Cup tires bolted on!!

My other toy is a 68 Cougar 289, C4 trans., base model car. We did an EFI conversion using 5.0L Mustang stuff a few years back. Also lowered a bit, KYBs, Granada disc brakes, 69 Shelby wheels. This year it's going to get some more stuff. Plans are for a T5 tranny conversion, Konis, some big brakes, and 17 or 18" wheels & tires.

Took me about 3 months to choose wheels for my SC Bird, and it's taking me almost as long to pick some out for the Coug. American Racing has a couple of new styles with a black centre and machined finish outer lip that look good to me. The car is lime frost green with a black vinyl top, with a black stripe on the hood. For my tastes, a really shiny chrome or fully polished wheel would stand out too much against this paint colour, so I want to use something with a grey or black centre. The Shelby wheels on the car now look good, they give it a kind of 60s Trans-Am race vibe, but they are only available in 15x7 or 15x8, no larger diameters like some of the repro Magnum 500s being made now.

Anyway, look forward to participating, hopefully geting some answers on brake, tire, and suspension stuff, and helping where I can. As mentioned, I'm a Ford parts guy, with about 17 years experience. So if anyone has a Ford OE parts question their local dealership can't help with, give me a try. I'm always looking at the new model stuff, to see what might be adaptable to older applications.

I also did some Solo I, Solo II, and amateur and semi-pro (endurance) road racing back when I was younger and braver (mostly in 5.0L Mustangs). Those experiences helped a lot with knowledge on car setup, tire choices, etc.

cheers

Ed Nicholson
Brampton, Ontario, Canada (just outside Toronto)

Ralph LoGrasso
02-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the site, Ed.

derekf
03-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Welcome aboard, Ed. We're glad to have you.

fast Ed
03-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Here are a few pics of my cars. :)

lftnwhls
03-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I work in Brampton.

Nice see see locals.

Minuteman
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
:razz: Hey neet site . Hope everyones vast knowledge will help in me building a sweet Pro-Tour 1970 Mark Donahue Javelin Trans- am replica . I have always been a Mark Donahue Fan since I was a teenager and always wanted to build a Pro-Tour car to celibrate Marks racing career. I know Amc cars are a little off the main stream but I like things not everyone under the sun has and is all American.
Wish me luck.
Thanks, Dan in Yucaipa Ca.

fast Ed
04-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Dan, a Javelin Trans-Am race replica would be very cool, especially with the red / white / blue paint job. I personally prefer the look of the 68 - 70 Javelin compared to the stubby AMXs.

cheers
Ed N.