PDA

View Full Version : this is silly I know but when doing the

phoenixdawg
02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
swap you don't need a cowl hood for a 1st gen do you? I am sure you don't but I sure like the look of that hood a lot better than the stock.

Any thoughts go cowl hood or not?

WS6
02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
LS swap? if thats what is what your talking about then no you dont need a hood change

BMF Machine
02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Oh Yea! I have been riding in first gen Camaro's since 1986, when my older brothers friend got one (1968 350 4 spd). All of them had cowl hoods(6 total)! It is what makes the early Camaro's look pi55ed while driving down the road, or just sitting there?

It is cool looking over it while driving as well! My .02 cents? ain't worth much

Kevin:smoke:

Or if you can fit enough under a stock hood to suit you and ya plan on going low, real low, on the suspension. A non cowl hood then makes them look so classy? And would save you $$$$$$$$$

ilovefirstgens
02-27-2006, 11:03 PM
unless you are running some really funny mounting there is absolutely gobs of space under the stock hood.

I'm having the same dielemma, leaving it on and having a pointless cowl hood, the problem is that because %99.999999 of first gens use them there dosent seem to be an attractive functional alternative, aside from the butt freakin ugly ls1 ss scoop year one hood.

Im gonna stick with it though.... form over function

DJW32
02-28-2006, 08:51 AM
The cowl hood allows the camaro to look tough

rocketman
02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
a camaro with out a cowl hood,just doesn't look right.i like the 3in tall myself.

Travis B
02-28-2006, 03:02 PM
I am not a fan of cowl hoods unless they are absolutly needed and you can't figure anything else out(i.e. bulged hood,reshaped flat hood,removing and redesigning bracing)! We all have different opinions though....

Steve68
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
I like the flat hood,but have a cowl, I couldn't pass it up, brand new GM $400 local,
had a guy supposed to bring me aflat hood but he hasn't e-mailed me,

WS6
02-28-2006, 06:26 PM
what about going with a repop Z28 cowl hood. very low profile but definetly better looking than a flat stocker.

phoenixdawg
03-01-2006, 04:31 AM
could go with a repop z28 hood, just getting opinions on what others think, I think I will just save the money and spend on something else.

WS6
03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
you know i really liked the hood that was on the 68s i think. the one with the two fake louvers that are chromed. i may be thinking chevelle here but i think the camaro had it too. your hood choice is going to depend on what paint job you want. if your just doing a solid color then you have many options. if your having graphics or any kinda of serious custom work, your choices could get limited.

Jim Nilsen
03-05-2006, 11:07 AM
An SS hood with the ornaments is as cool as a cowl hood any day of the week. If done right they can be made to be functional for cool air inlets or for air outlets. You can make form and function with an SS hood and the chrome on the hood or if you paint them black can still be different and cool. Novas also had them but they were slightly different but you could probably try and get them to work too!

Jim Nilsen

Ralph LoGrasso
03-05-2006, 01:16 PM
2" cowl on a first gen is a timeless look that will never, ever be out of date (especially since it was a factory option, heh). By far the best looking hood for these cars.