PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust for 427 hardcore

1Fine69
02-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey guys im replacing my 350 with the all aluminum 427(550 horse and torque) small block from world and i have ceramic headers with flowmaster 2.5 inch pipes and super 40 muffler. I needed to change the sound to make the flat tappet solid cam stand out as much as possible cause i love that sound. Im wondering if i should just change the muffler or the whole system to a larger pipe. If just the muffler, what type? If the whole system, what type and how big?

speedster
02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
You can change your sound very quickly by how far away from the headers you place the mufflers and by if you have tailpipes or turndowns. You'd be surprised at how much this can alter the sound.

gen3bu
02-27-2006, 05:18 PM
dual 3", dr. gas x-pipe, hooker mufflers, and full tailpipes pointed out and toward the ground. it will be fairly quiet, but mean when needed.

rocketman
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
i would 3 inch,x pipe,flowmaster super 40's.the 40 is hands down one of the best mufflers out there.

Z06killinSBF
02-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Naw, 3" x-pipe, Spintechs into turned dumps. I have a sound clip of my dads 468 73' Camaro with super 40's out the back.

gen3bu
02-27-2006, 06:50 PM
my dd has a custom 3.5" single with a hooker and it sounds pretty good.
btw - it is a sbc sonoma.

1Fine69
02-27-2006, 08:15 PM
I want the loudest, choppiest sounding thing you can get. Low restriction/flow for most horsepower gain while still having a good durable system. And i hate when you let off the gas you here that gargle back to idle. Any more suggestions?

streetk14
02-27-2006, 10:12 PM
I want the loudest, choppiest sounding thing you can get. Low restriction/flow for most horsepower gain while still having a good durable system. And i hate when you let off the gas you here that gargle back to idle. Any more suggestions?

If you want loud, go with a 3" system. With 550 hp, it is a good idea anyways. An x-pipe will quiet it down a little and smooth out the tone if that's what you want. If you want to hear the cam, go with full tailpipes out the back. It will make the exhaust sound more crisp. Mufflers are subjective, what one person loves another hates. I love my original 50 series flowmasters. They are deeper sounding than the 40's. With 1 3/4" headers, an x-pipe and full tailpipes they sound great. I shot a video of my car running the other day, but I can't figure out how to post it online. If anyone wants to see/hear it let me know.
-Andy

zbugger
02-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Do what I recommend for most big blocks. It's more common than you'd think, too. Go with 3" through an x-pipe to the mufflers, and out of the mufflers with 2.5" all the way back. You can still run 40 series flowmasters and get a great sound.

sikryd
06-02-2006, 05:22 PM
with that much power you should realy be running 3" exhaust, your motor will breath a lot better. If you just want to be able to hear the cam more, all you have to do is point the exhaust down towards the ground. I prefer to place the turndowns at a 45 degree angle to the ground, not straight towards the ground. You will realy be able to hear the cam after you do this, I think it has something to do with the soundwaves bouncing off the ground and back up to your ear. if you just dump the exhaust after the muffler and not run tail pipes, youe will get a lot of resonance inside the car at certain RPM's.

1Fine69
06-04-2006, 06:24 AM
well its started and it sounds really great. i took a video clip of it but it was in the tarp garage so it isnt good quality. today is the road test so when i take it out ill make sure to let you guys hear it!