PDA

View Full Version : How to get Burled Wood Look?

Piet
10-05-2004, 09:56 AM
As anyone figured out how to reproduce the glossy hand polished burled wood look of a Lexus or Jag dash?

68BNUT
10-05-2004, 10:49 AM
I had a lexus rx300 I think that stuff was plastic

Hemi Nova
10-05-2004, 12:57 PM
http://www.hydroillusions.com/ They can put a Burl Wood, Carbon Fiber and many other patterns on any kind of smooth surface.

Ishmael
10-05-2004, 04:56 PM
What do you want covered? Covans has a lot of interior pieces in burlwood.

Piet
10-06-2004, 07:00 AM
I have an LT... I am looking to replace the LT "wood" pieces with updated "wood". Dash, door panels, and I would also like to replace the shifter plate.

I am thinking of turning this car into a true Luxury Touring car

astroracer
10-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Here is a site that "kinda" shows you how to do it yourself... There is a ton of info on the web under "faux finishes-wood graining"... If you think you'd want to try it yourself do a few searches.
Mark

steve g
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
I've seen a few of the burlwood kits for center consoles, etc. on ebay. I don't know their quality or even if they're real wood. But if you want a really high gloss finish on wood you can get it by using Deft lacquer in spray cans, if you can buy it in your area. I usually buy it a KMart. The secret is that you have to keep building up the coats and wet sand with 320 between coats. If you want a really deep finish, it might take 9 or more coats. I spray 3 passes, let dry 3 hours, another 3 passes, etc. Let the final coat dry for several days then wet sand with 600, 1500 and then polish with a wheel and bonnet with Scratch-X or Finesse scratch and swirl remover. You'll have a really deep gloss finish. Oh, just make sure you wear a good mask. Lacquer is pretty nasty to breathe.