PDA

View Full Version : How many times this happened to you guys?

Dan Sherwood
02-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm talking about the lack of quality/dependability of new parts.

From brand new top $ holley fuel pumps (both mech & elec), edelbrock water pumps (2 in 2 weeks), vintage a/c switches/compressors, elec vacume pumps, kenwood radio (well it has the kenwood name on it anyway), etc...

I mean, you put em on one week and the next week they quit working, blow out gaskets, noisy as all get out. Of course that's the up side. Typically I'll get one that got put on, I've got busy and hav'nt driven the car for a few months (or just long enough to have the part not have a warranty anymore) and it goes kaput, and there you are replacing it after 6 months, but with just 200 miles or a few hours on the car and no warranty left on the part.

Is it just me, or has the quality of some of these name brand items gone in the toilet?

derekf
02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm not convinced that's something 'new'. Luckily it seems like things either fail pretty quickly for me or they last forever... and I believe I vaguely recall having the same sorts of results 20 years ago.

TPI Monte SS
02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm talking about the lack of quality/dependability of new parts.

From brand new top $ holley fuel pumps (both mech & elec), edelbrock water pumps (2 in 2 weeks), vintage a/c switches/compressors, elec vacume pumps, kenwood radio (well it has the kenwood name on it anyway), etc...

Is it just me, or has the quality of some of these name brand items gone in the toilet?

It's everywhere! A buddy and I both had the same model Kenwood CD player a few years back; near top-of-the-line model, with flip out face and all. Both of ours died at about 14 months old, just enough time to get out of warranty.

House parts/appliances aren't much better. My wife and I redid our upstairs bathroom 4 years ago; all new fixtures, tile, the works! Over the summer, I had to replace the rubber float in the bottom of our new toilet so it would stop leaking, and this past week I had to change the cartridge in the shower faucet so that would stop leaking. Nice Kohler parts.

AndyB
02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I know what you mean, I put a secret audio system in my corvette and the cd changer quit less than six months after I got the car on the road. The problem was that I bought the unit about nine months before I got the car done so needless to say it was out of warranty.

The starter on my truck died last Thursday after only 26 months of service. When I bought it I spent extra money to get a new (non-rebuilt) one from a company called Precision. The starter would still be under warranty if the company was still in business! :hammer:

protour_chevelle
02-27-2006, 07:47 PM
What I hate most.... Not being told that theres a 3 week minimum back order on my seat brackets :throw:

-Matt

formula
02-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I would have to say that it seems to me like most clutches are embarrassingly badly made. I hear nothing but horror stories about pretty much every company these days except mcleod. Granted, this may be in part because of poor installations, but it sure seems to me like an inordinately high number of people have problems with what, at the end of the day, is a pretty simple mechanism.

BuddyP
02-28-2006, 07:36 AM
The biggest problem, is that most of those failed parts probably had "China" stamped on the back of em.

Bob Johnson
02-28-2006, 07:43 AM
anytime you can buy a OEM part do so..The aftermarket stuff is mostly junk..I've had so many problems with speed parts it's not funny. If I can get an OEM part I do so. It might have some trick engineering, but the components, assembly and quality control is terrible..Anything aftermarket electrical..stay away if possible if you don't want a headache.

wantahertzdonut
02-28-2006, 07:52 AM
My Kenwood CD/MP3 player for my car has been a headache since I first got it, I only wish now I had returned it 2 years ago when it first started arguing with me when I put an MP3 disc in.

Also had problems with remanufactured alternators, they're all junk it seems.

Also now having the axles on my Camry go, they were remaufactured, and have maybe 70k on them. They're popping when I'm turning. The originals went over 170k and never popped, only replaced them because the previous owner let the boots wear out and split open.

It's a shame that you pay good money for stuff only to have it break in short time.

Steve Firebird
02-28-2006, 10:57 AM
How about when something brakes or will not fit and the tech guy tells you it has never happend to anyone else. I really get ticked when i hear that because the next line is something like it can't be a problem with the part if no one else complained about it it must be my fault or my car is some how diffent then the norm.

Dan Sherwood
02-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I'd certainly agree on the alternator thing! I'm on #4 currently. Like Bob, I try to buy oem when possible, if not then certainly name brand stuff from a name brand supplier.

I purchased an edelbrock water pump to replace the one that has been on the car for 6 months, which was also an edelbrock. The new one lasted 3 days and began to leak at the gasket on the rear of the pump. I had already replaced the gasket on the first water pump twice.

My local speed shop guy (where I purchased the replacement pump) was hesitiant to replace it, claiming I was either abusing it, or something was causing it to leak (yeah-poor construction!). He would not give me a refund, so I now have a spare edelbrock pump on the shelve. A less expensive version from car quest has been on for a few weeks and no leaks-so far.

derekf
02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
And you no longer shop at the local speed shop if you can help it?

Jim Nilsen
02-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Warranty ? what warranty? when you take as long as I have to build a car you will learn to have it written on your receipt if possible that if something goes wrong with the part after you finally get it going ,they will replace it or help you with it.This is the only thing I have learned to do to help things when I get the car going. How much it will help I don't know. The drive shaft seems to be alright but how would I ever know until it goes down the road, The shop guaranteed it and understood it may take a few years to get it on the road. The wheel balancing is the same thing. Other parts I will just have to hope they keep working.

The thing about this dilema is that after a couple of years the aftermarket comes out with bettter stuff anyway and you will want to change it once you get it going. So that is what I have learned. If it helps, It helps. If you can get anyone to understand it is because they have been through it.

Goodluck and may the WARANTY be with you!!! :headbang: :twothumbs

Jim Nilsen

OHCbird
02-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I'll more than second the whole appliance thing- my buddy owns an A/C / appliance service chain here in FL, and does quite well with 4-5 of the major brands. He keeps 'timing' charts of equipment age vs. components replaced. My $$$$ fridge and washer needed parts right when he said they would. Well- all the lightning strikes here don't help either (even though the whole house is protected).

BUT- I have had very good luck with some items. The alternator on my 89 4 Runner went 304K miles before not needing to be rebuilt- it had an occasional bearing squeak, but when tested still pulled full capacity. I rebuilt the original using Toyota brushes & contacts. Same deal with the starter- easy cheesy!

Lowend
02-28-2006, 11:59 PM
I've seen more people have troube with Trick Flow stuff than not.

LowBuckX
03-01-2006, 01:00 AM
I've seen more people have troube with Trick Flow stuff than not.
Everyone bags on Trickflow. 80k miles on my Trickflows and no issues. Also will be purchasing a full roller 406 with trickflow 23* heads with 20k on them.

But I agree that alot of the ""HOT URGENT GOT TO HAVE IT TAKE OUT A LOAN """" performance parts no matter how shiney turn out to be crap.

Id take a subframe that takes OEM parts over doctored up high dollar parts anyday..

But i also have to give kudos to the chinaman who built the chrome altinator i just replaced (upgraded to a cs-130) my brother put 20k miles on it till he rolled his 66 velle then i put it on and have over 50K miles on it and it still works.... looks like crap but works. :lol: