PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - 1973 Camaro LT

Piet
10-05-2004, 09:18 AM
I have a 1973 Camaro LT am I am trying to determine what I want.
I have some general ideas but I am waffling.

Motor:
Has the original 350... get new crate motor? like a ram jet 350? or 383 or rebuild the original?

Fuel Delivery:
Carb or Fuel injection

Transmission:
Currently has a th350. It's a bullet proof tranny. However..... I am looing at a 200r or a richmond six speed.... opinions?

Front Suspension:
Has anyone used Fatman (especially on a 2nd Gen)? Should I narrow the front end to put on fatter tires? How about Air ride suspension?

Rear Suspension:
I don't think that I want an 4-link... I am looking a modifying the original suspension... add some cal-trac's. again... anyone use Air ride?

Interior:
I think I wish to replace the original dash... anyone make custom dash? I am trying to replicate the burled wood look on a Lexus or Jag... anyone know how.

Any other general advice for a Newbie?

Thanks
Peter Huizinga

jonny51
10-05-2004, 10:07 AM
If your going to go with a manuel trans go with a TKO or a T-56.Covan makes aftermarket dashs for your car.I like the idea of a Ram jet 383.Just some of my opinions,good luck with the project.

MrQuick
10-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi Peter, I would start off with finding your purpose, making a plan ,and then settle on a budget.Sticking to that plan is the hard part,cause if you don't your budget is also out the window.
First find out what you want the car for. Street,wow factor,part time race,drive way queen, or show car?
Couple ideas on running gear: going with a used production set up would knock a items off of your list.Fuel injected motors a not hard to find. LT1 with 5 speed or 700r. LS1 with T56 6 speed or 60 auto.Your stock rear should do fine,8.5 10bolts are stout.
Suspension: Stock suspension is fine for all uses and offers a good geometry to start with. You can add Global West upper arms,adjustable shocks,big sway bars new Del-A-Lum bushins and wider tires.I would not recommend the Fatman arms as they do not offer any geometry improvement.
Wheels and tires: with some modifying (front and rear wheel well changes and the right rim back space) you can run 315's on 11" rims in the rear and 285's on 9 1/2" rims on the front. 17's or 18's
Interior: ive seen 4th gen Camaro dashes fit nicely and you can add wood to that if you like. Carefull planning and lots of homework would be the first thing to do.

Piet
10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Good comments and questions!

I am not planning on racing this car. Is is a "date" car, for cruising and possibly for distance Rod Tours.

I am looking for classy outside, nasty underneath. A quiet comfortable interior, good tunes, fun to drive, good performance and reasonable milage. (you know.... I want everything... and cheap too) I am thinking my best course of action is to buy a 4th gen interior and drivetrain and insert it into my 2nd gen body. However that seems like an overwhelming task from where I sit today.