PDA

View Full Version : side exit exhaust

tbair
02-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Im looking at running a side exit exhaust through the body panel just in front of the rear wheel. my question is cutting the panel.I will have to cut through the inner rocker panel and the outside of the lower quarter.has anyone ever tryed this? What is the best way to make a clean cut.

USAZR1
02-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Would a plasma cutter work for this? Hopefully,others will post some photos and give us some good ideas.

CAMAROBOY69
02-27-2006, 04:40 AM
You could also use a cutting disk on a grinder. Makes really clean cuts and the disks are only a little under $2.00 each and only take a few seconds. Of course a plasma cutter would be the best but most of us cant afford one including myself.

trackrat79
02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Knowing what your working with would help. But yes a plasma cutter would probly be best or an air powered body saw. My job was a little easier. I did not have an inner pannel to work with on my truck. Sorry no pictures don't have the truck any more. My curent truck has not had the modification done yet. Waiting for fenderwell headers to run exaust outside the frame rails.

Travis B
02-27-2006, 09:38 AM
what kind of car and how big of exhaust???? do you plan on runnin a tip of some kind?

jy211
02-27-2006, 09:58 AM
here's a shot of it on the 63' Impala wagon were working on...

Damn True
02-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Pretty cool.

Not something the Camaro set can do though if you have subframe connectors at least.

CAMAROBOY69
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I like that. It reminds me of what they did on the Shelby GT500 Eleanor.
That would probably sound pretty good having mufflers dump right out the side like that. After a 2nd look, you might not even have room for mufflers unless they were put right behind the headers or if you went with chambered. My god that would be loud. It would be like open headers.

MuscleRodz
02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Steve Cook did it on his dad's yelow '69 Camaro he finished last year. Looks cool but soots the paint on the side of the car requiring constant cleaning. In the pics below you can see the notch in the rocker.

Mike
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

CAMAROBOY69
02-27-2006, 11:25 AM
That car is sick!! How did I miss seeing it???!!! Another one with painted bumpers and it looks great. I cant wait! That is a nice looking ride! Looks like the rocker is exended down further to the ground. Kinda gives it a fat belly look but I like it. I probably would have broght the front down in front of the front tire to match it. Also behind the rear tire some how to make it all come together. Still looks good though.

MuscleRodz
02-27-2006, 11:38 AM
That car is sick!! How did I miss seeing it???!!! Another one with painted bumpers and it looks great. I cant wait! That is a nice looking ride! Looks like the rocker is exended down further to the ground. Kinda gives it a fat belly look but I like it. I probably would have broght the front down in front of the front tire to match it. Also behind the rear tire some how to make it all come together. Still looks good though.
Rocker is extended to cover the pinch weld. Foose did the same thing but rolled the edge. Oh, and the bumper is welded on to the car.

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
02-27-2006, 11:40 AM
I think I remember now that someone posted pics of this car from the goodguys show or something like that. I remember replying to say how much I liked the car. Its coming back to me now. I think even the rear spoiler is molded right into the car. Very clean look. :yum:

tbair
02-27-2006, 01:08 PM
The car is a 62 impala.Im glad to hear about the exhaust messing up the paint not sure if the trade of is worth the effort

Sparky67
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Pretty cool.

Not something the Camaro set can do though if you have subframe connectors at least.

Well, when I picked up my rearend at DSE in late October of last year. Kyle Tucker had a 1967-1968 Convertible that had the side pipe exhaust. I really didn't look at it that much, but it looked like the exhaust was built into the floor with a box. So the box would be over the rear subframe connector as bends down into the floor.

Jeff

Damn True
02-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, when I picked up my rearend at DSE in late October of last year. Kyle Tucker had a 1967-1968 Convertible that had the side pipe exhaust. I really didn't look at it that much, but it looked like the exhaust was built into the floor with a box. So the box would be over the rear subframe connector as bends down into the floor.

Jeff

Yes one can go that route, but not many are willing to bring the exhaust into the passenger compartment. Preston brought his through to go over his rear end, and there are a couple of examples on CC.com in which people have taken the exhaust out through the body in the area above the rocker, behind the door, in front of the the rear wheel opening.

USAZR1
02-27-2006, 03:55 PM
The car is a 62 impala.Im glad to hear about the exhaust messing up the paint not sure if the trade of is worth the effort
Don't run the outlets flush and it won't be as much of a problem.
I've got a photo of a 62 Impala with a cool side exhaust set-up. Tony posted it awhile back and I saved it. Email me and I'll forward it to you.