PDA

View Full Version : What black to use under hood?

streetk14
02-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions on painting the engine bay on my 68 Camaro. My WD subframe is powdercoated semi-gloss black. I plan to have the inner fenders powdercoated as well (for durability reasons) and I will need to paint the rear firewall. What black should I use for the inner fenders, firewall and core support (ie. gloss, semi-gloss, flat)? I always thought gloss black would look nice, but I'd like to know what you guys think. Thanks,
Andy

Colin Frolick
02-25-2006, 10:22 PM
semi-gloss black wal-mart generic spraybomb brand looks good

lvrpool32
02-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Krylon semi flat black, available at True Value, goes on nice, easy to spray dries fast and pretty cheap.

Nick

Z06killinSBF
02-26-2006, 05:24 AM
Krylon semi flat black, available at True Value, goes on nice, easy to spray dries fast and pretty cheap.

Nick

x2. Thats what I used. It covers EVERYTHING. That it probably the best paint out there. I did my interior with it too.:eek:

73z-6sp
02-26-2006, 06:57 AM
x3. I have used that exact paint many times and it always comes out nice. I usually will clear it with the satin clear becauseit makes it clean up nicer. I actually went and bought a quart of satin black to do my car with this time. I sprayed some things and they looked like crap! I went to Ace and came home with my trusty Krylon, and they look perfect! Just dont tell anyone I told you that. ;)

cad
02-26-2006, 07:24 AM
If you look at my install I just did with the DC control in the cooling section, you will see what Krylon Semi Flat #1613 looks like. It is not as "satin" as I would like, but it is definitely not flat. I think it is as close to "GM black" as you may find.
I got it at Ace Hardware.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15803

streetk14
02-26-2006, 10:43 PM
If you look at my install I just did with the DC control in the cooling section, you will see what Krylon Semi Flat #1613 looks like. It is not as "satin" as I would like, but it is definitely not flat. I think it is as close to "GM black" as you may find.
I got it at Ace Hardware.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15803

That looks pretty good. That is probably close to the original GM color, but I think I want to go with a little more gloss. I think a semi-gloss to match my subframe might be the best idea. I've been looking at "black-it" by OEM Paints. Sounds like good stuff, and at $17 a spray can I would hope so. I will probably only be spraying the firewall by hand. I plan to have the inner fenders and core support powder coated. I think it will hold up better than the rattle can job.

Damn True
02-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Eastwood "underhood black" works really nice as well, but isn't nearly as affordable as Krylon.

wiedemab
02-27-2006, 04:54 AM
We used Dupont Hot Hues - Hot Rod Black under the hood of my Mustang. I would recommend it, but it's more expensive than some of the other options listed.

Pics can be seen on my site.

http://wiedos.com/89_Mustang/89_Mustang.htm

Brandon

cad
02-27-2006, 05:20 AM
My firewall and frame are literally "GM Black". I bought a gallon of it when I worked at the dealership. It is definitely not the same shade of black that comes from a puffcan of GM Black, so dont go that route. Unless I got 4 bad puffcans, the GM Black was ultra flat. I have heard nothing but good things about Eastwood.

cad
02-27-2006, 05:23 AM
You could also consider POR-15 for frame and suspension. That stuff is very nice also. It can be brushed on with a foam brush or thinned and sprayed. They also make a POR-20 that is high heat.

Duesey
02-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Another vote for Dupont Hot Hues. Maybe expensive but the results are always consistent and it's more durable than a spray bomb.

streetk14
02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
You could also consider POR-15 for frame and suspension. That stuff is very nice also. It can be brushed on with a foam brush or thinned and sprayed. They also make a POR-20 that is high heat.

My frame is already powdercoated and my suspension parts ceramic coated, but I am plannng to use POR-15 on the underside of my car and rear frame rails. Should be fairly durable, and I hear it brushes on easily and looks good.

streetk14
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Another vote for Dupont Hot Hues. Maybe expensive but the results are always consistent and it's more durable than a spray bomb.

Money isn't really an issue, but I don't have a spray gun. That is why I was looking at the spray can route. I'm having the car painted soon, so maybe I'll have them spray the firewall while they have it.

Andrew McBride
02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Dupont single stage centari. You can pick it up at a autoparts store for about $45.00 all you have to do is add a little gloss hardener and reducer and your set. The downfall for you is that it will require a spray gun. If you want the job done right I would use a gun vs. a rattlecan.

vintageracer
02-28-2006, 07:50 AM
All the NCRS restorer's (National Corvette Restorer's Society) weenies use John Deere "Blitz" Black available at your John Deere dealer for their underhood blackout. This has proven time and time again to the the most exact black paint available in a "spray" can for underhood finishing to correct GM standards for 1953-1970's Corvette/Chevrolet. That assumes you really want the "correct" restored look. It's also a lot cheaper than the OPG stuff.

There are also exact mixes available in a quart/gallon cans for spray guns at numerous restoration suppliers. Personally, since the car is modified I would pick a finish that "you" like and duplicate it at the local paint supply store.

streetk14
02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not doing a resto so I don't really care about the engine area being the original color. I know from the factory the inner fenders were a semi-gloss, and the firewall was an eggshell black. I just want something that looks good. Does anybody think it's a bad idea to use a gloss black? Would it require more maintenence to keep looking good?

vintageracer
03-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Gloss black is much easier to maintain as it is slick and does not hold dirt like a semi-gloss paint. If you choose to go with gloss I would not use a spray can. Buy gloss black as recommended above from the paint supplier and spray it with a gun.

EVERY rattle can job I have seen with gloss black paint looked TERRIBLE! The spray can method will not provide the even coverage you desire on large areas to give a great appearance with gloss black paint.

I like a gloss black under the hood if properly applied. The perception I get is that most people do not like the gloss look under the hood of a car when using black paint. Colors under the hood matching the body is the trend in the hobby.

streetk14
03-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Gloss black is much easier to maintain as it is slick and does not hold dirt like a semi-gloss paint. If you choose to go with gloss I would not use a spray can. Buy gloss black as recommended above from the paint supplier and spray it with a gun.

EVERY rattle can job I have seen with gloss black paint looked TERRIBLE! The spray can method will not provide the even coverage you desire on large areas to give a great appearance with gloss black paint.

I like a gloss black under the hood if properly applied. The perception I get is that most people do not like the gloss look under the hood of a car when using black paint. Colors under the hood matching the body is the trend in the hobby.

Thanks for the advice. I know a lot of people go with body color under the hood, but that's just not my style. This is also a car that gets driven. I plan to put it in a show once in a while, but it is not a trailer queen. I guess I need to decide what color to powdercoat my inner fenders, then I will have to find a paint for the firewall that matches. I'm leaning towards gloss, but semi-gloss is still an option. The fact that gloss black is easier to maintain sounds like a good reason to do it that way.
-Andy

HILROD
03-04-2006, 10:52 AM
On some parts I've used black epoxy enamel in a spray can. It is just between semi and gloss black but can be polished to a full gloss. It is very durable for a spray can. FRANK :naughty:

onebad2
03-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Dupont has a nice flat black its called HOT ROD BLACK.........

67SSDan
03-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Are the POR paints good for inner fenderwells and firewalls too? I've heard people doing their subframes and stuff like that, but this is the first mention I've heard of people putting it on panels... I don't know why it wouldn't work.. just never heard of people doing it.

streetk14
03-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Are the POR paints good for inner fenderwells and firewalls too? I've heard people doing their subframes and stuff like that, but this is the first mention I've heard of people putting it on panels... I don't know why it wouldn't work.. just never heard of people doing it.

I don't plan to use it on my fenders or firewall, just the underside of the car. I do know a guy who used POR-15 in a spray gun to paint his engine bay. It turned out really nice. I'd be scared to use that stuff in a highly visible area. I would think that it would be hard to clean up a mistake with POR-15.

Jim Nilsen
03-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I have sprayed POR15 many times and have found that it is best to not thin it all. Thinning it can make it fail and it won't get thin enough according to the instructions to make much of a difference.

When spraying it you want to use the largest tip you have and bring the pressure up if possible. It will be alright if it looks like it is not quite a mist like you want paint to normally look when spraying it. The stuff flows out flat when you get enough on,but don't get too much on or it will sag and run. Make sure you do 2 coats according to the instructions. The time it takes to dry can vary sooo much that it is best to not plan on anything to do other than wait and keep an eye on it. The best results always come when you put the 2nd coat on when it is just slightly tacky but not dry to the touch.

I put it on my wheel wells on my pickup and it has held up really well. Remember that it is uv sensetive and you need to top coat it to keep it from getting a dull finish later. To top coat it you need to wait until it is almost dry just like the timing of putting on the 2nd coat and just mist a dusting of the paint you are going to top coat it with. Once it is fully dry you can finish the top coat like you would normally paint anything. I have put acrylic enamel as a top coat over clear POR15 without any primer in between and have seen it last for now going on 7yrs without a problem. The trick is really the timing and the amount of the light dusting coat to make it stick well.

I have had it fail several time due to impatience and waiting too long. The humidity in the air can drastically change drying time from one application to the next so treating the same as you did the last time can lead to error very easily and is the major cause of most failures of POR15. Applied properly with the right prep the stuff will protect better than anything else,put on poorly it still gives better protection than regular paint due to the chemical properties of what it is.

Goodluck to anyone who uses it and remember that there are horror stories about every coating out there and most of them are caused by people just not following the directions thinking they know more abot putting somethig on from experiences they have had with other products.

Jim Nilsen

Renner
03-06-2006, 07:18 PM
GM Recon Black. Sprays nice, covers everything.

Davezz28
03-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Zero Rust. You can buy it in gallons, quarts, or spray can. It tries to a nice matte finish. I like it better than POR-15 and is easy to shoot. I just painted the interior, dash and firewall with it. Check out the pics in the Vbgarage.