PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Camaro Taurus fan/DC Control Install

cad
02-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Here are links to the pics of my Taurus fan install with the DC Control.
I rotated the electric motor to point at 4 o'clock after the pics.
http://doukas.us/fan.htm

Clark

ertoys
02-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Looks really good.

Can you provide more info? Dc hookup points, relay location, taurus fan year, place of purchase and total cost?

I am really close to ordering the Mark VIII setup, and now Im wondering if I could save some cash by going this route.

I will be purchasing the Summit direct fit alum. radiator.

cad
02-26-2006, 06:59 AM
The fan is from a 1990-1995 Ford Taurus with a 3.8. $15 at the salvage yard. If you look hard, you can find a nice one (we found 3 nice ones within an hour). The controller is from www.dccontrol.com (http://www.dccontrol.com). I have the FK35 for $105 (bought 2 and Brian gave me a discount). The beauty of the controller is that it is does not require separate relays, etcetera....none. I have the fan on the radiator and the controller....that's it.
You may also purchase the setup from gmachinz on this board, or the fan can be had from www.dccontrol.com or www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com).
If you need the bigger Mark VIII fan for the aluminum radiator you may need to buy a new one as they are rare in the salvage yard.

ertoys
02-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Thank you

69bigblock
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
I picked up one of those fans at my friends yard and it cleaned up nicely. Was there ant particular reason why you moved the postion of the motor? Can you mount the controller in the car, or does it have to be mounted in the engine compartment....

cad
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
I rotated the wires on the fan to point down and towards the passenger side when done. That way the wires are as short as possible. You could probably mount it anywhere you want, but I would email DC control, or ask gmachinz (on this board) what he would recommend.

gmachinz
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
The wiring with the controllers in the DC kits are rated over 2X the quality and heat resistance of that found in the major automakers underhood wiring. And, it is recommended to keep the wires going to the battery relatively short. If you need to mount your controller inside the vehicle, I would suggest having a new wire harness made for you. I can help you with this or you can email Brian and DC Controls also. -Jabin

GregD
03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Where did you pick up your 12 volt power for the controller? At the battery or did you go to the horn relay?

cad
03-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Off the factory junction block on the radiator support just above the battery.

cad
03-01-2006, 04:21 PM
You can see the gray wire connected to it....the gray wire is a pc of fusible link supplied in the kit.

engine
03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Where did you pick up your 12 volt power for the controller? At the battery or did you go to the horn relay?

if it matters, I picked up my 12v power source from an IGN terminal in the fuse block under the dash. I'm using the "uderdrive pulley" jumper in my DC controller, so I can't have it powered be constant 12 volts, ie. from BATT. otherwise the fan would run all the time...

My installation:
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10876

GregD
03-01-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm about to wire up my controller as well. I don't have the junction block. So I was going to wire it to the horn relay. I then realized that I don't have the the power wire that goes directly from the alternator to the horn relay. So it looks like I'll have to wire it directly to a post on the battery. I'll have to check out the wiring job that the previous owner did to see exactly what I have.

protour_chevelle
03-02-2006, 04:55 PM
So I was going to wire it to the horn relay. I then realized that I don't have the the power wire that goes directly from the alternator to the horn relay.

Why do you not have the wire there anymore?

-Matt

GregD
03-03-2006, 05:51 AM
The previous owner replaced the external regulator with an internally regulated Alternator. It doesn't look like he has the power wire going from the alternator directly to the horn relay. I'm not too sure what he did because all the wiring is wrapped up pretty good in a harness. But I do not have the large red wire going to the second post on the horn relay. Everything seems to work correctly except for my horns...