PDA

View Full Version : Million dollar question: What Fuel Injection?

Nutsy
10-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey guys,

I have been on a research rampage on stand alone fuel injection systems out there and was just wondering if anyone has seen, used, heard of the AEM EMS? http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp

I am going to be building a SBC Twin Turbo for my 69 based on a World Aluminum block and i want a system that will control everything and more. I am planning on running a direct coil near plug setup.

I have seen the FAST system, allthough it is proven, it is lacking some of the features that i desire. Where FAST and others have "trade offs" (eg. either a/c or IAC) AEM seems to be able to do everything without loosing other features. Boost, Traction Control, Wideband autolearning, Knock control, Fans, Fuel Pump, A/C, Rev limit, Coil on Plug, Wet or Dry NOS, IAC, sequential, individual cylinder trim via 4 egt inputs..., 2 step rev limit, and the list goes on. Also AFAIK they can all be used simultaeneously!

My worry is that on paper, this can be the best system, but in practice it might be terrible... I just am looking for a system that does everything without having to have 50 other appliances wired up.

I realize that AEM seems to be more involved in the Sport Compact Market, but a ECU is a ECU and an engine is an engine. Fuel Injection doesn't pick if it works on SCC or Domestic Muscle.

Anyways, I may be way off base here so let me hear what you all think.

Trev

David Pozzi
10-04-2004, 09:00 PM
I looked at their system a couple of years ago at SEMA. AEM used to be an Electromotive dealer/installer so they thought they could improve on their system offering lots of extras plus it did a lot even back then. I think they said it will run a V12 up to a zillion rpm's! V8's are no problem.
Honestly I didn't know what I was looking at since that was the first EFI system I ever saw demo'ed.

I thought they were going to get sued by electromotive for using their crank trigger method which is patented. But I haven't heard of any.
David

68LSS1
10-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Have you looked at Accel DFI/Gen 7 stuff? The options that are available with that is what I liked also.

Nutsy
10-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Have you looked at Accel DFI/Gen 7 stuff? The options that are available with that is what I liked also.

Yes I have, but i have heard from a couple guys on this board that they sold it because of some problems/wierdnesses, lack of support, and difficulty to tune. Someone please chime in about this.

SSMOORE
10-05-2004, 11:32 AM
www.bigstuff3.com check that out.. might be what your looking for.

steve

KendallF
10-05-2004, 04:44 PM
I have seen a number of the AEMs in use on local imports, most of them turbocharged. I am impressed, so far. Keep in mind, I have no direct experience on my own cars.. :)

They are going after the import crowd and now, the Mustang market with plug and play setups..adapter harnesses that don't require any extra wiring. The tuning software seems to be good, and the fuel maps are straightforward. I took a ride in a turbocharged Honda S2000 done by my friend Tracy Grimm at Speedfab (http://www.tgfab.com/) with an AEM; I believe it made 400+ RWHP and had driveability near stock. I have read that it can do trans control as well but haven't seen it used.