PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman powdercoater

ertoys
02-24-2006, 06:02 AM
Have you guys seen this?

I went to buy one, but it says on the box that you cant use an oven which you cook food in to bake your newly powdercoated goodies.

How the heck are you supposed to bake it, campfire? the neighbors house?

Am I missing something?

ProTouringNyc
02-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Didnt know Craftsmen made a powder system

derekf
02-24-2006, 06:31 AM
I saw the Sears system - seemed pretty expensive for what you get, especially if you compare with what Eastwood and Harbor Freight have.

As far as ovens, if you replaced the oven in your house you could use the old oven for it; you could use an oven you bought specifically for powder coating; or you could go with an infrared curing setup like Eastwood has.

I don't think you'll want to eat things cooked in an oven used for powder coating - I'm sure the fumes given off during the curing process have an odor and probably an unpleasant flavor that'd linger in an oven.

ertoys
02-24-2006, 06:48 AM
I saw the Sears system - seemed pretty expensive for what you get, especially if you compare with what Eastwood and Harbor Freight have.

As far as ovens, if you replaced the oven in your house you could use the old oven for it; you could use an oven you bought specifically for powder coating; or you could go with an infrared curing setup like Eastwood has.

I don't think you'll want to eat things cooked in an oven used for powder coating - I'm sure the fumes given off during the curing process have an odor and probably an unpleasant flavor that'd linger in an oven.
I understand and agree with you about the oven thing. I will look at eastwood, I have a new oven, old one is gone.

Matt@RFR
02-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Just buy a used oven. My Dad found one for $25 that is ugly, but works just fine.

toxicz28
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM

System features internal air generation (no compressor needed.) Depending on its performance, the money saved in dessicant filters would make it worth the price.

indyjps
02-24-2006, 09:04 PM
my dad picked up a used oven for $20 sweet olive green unit, he uses and eastwood home powder coating kit.

ertoys
02-25-2006, 10:27 PM
He said unit

ProTouringNyc
02-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Does anyone have a pic or part number?

aonghus
02-26-2006, 10:20 PM

we call those flavors 'carcinogens'

dont EVER cook in an over that has been used for powdercoating.

indyjps
03-07-2006, 12:09 AM
the menards in my area has a used appliance area for takeouts when they install new stoves they also have nice units available.

Joe_Rocket
06-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Hey I've bought and used the Sears powder coating gun. It actually works beautifully. I did a two stage job on a set of brake calipers with a metallic silver base and then a transparent blue top coat.

The only bad thing about the gun is the fan propeller actually worked its way off the shaft during the first 5 minutes of use. I quickly took it appart and used some 5 minute epoxy on the motor shaft and pressed the propeller back on. No problems after that.

It's perhaps cheaply constructed , but I think it's definately worth the money I spent.

Even though you have the wire clipped ot the part, the powder may have difficulty sticking on sharp corners and such. So, heat your part before spraying. The powder will stick better on the edges and hard to get at areas. Also, on two stage multi coat jobs as I did above, you won't have any bare metal for the charged particles to stick. you'll spray the second coat after cooking the first coat long enough to have flowed out. It will be the heat that allows the second coat to stick.

Madspeed
06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
I thought id toss in my .02 c

You also realize that you need an electric oven

Just in case. I doidnt see annything about it so i thought id just throw that out there

CTravis
06-20-2006, 12:44 PM
If you will shoot me an email, I can send you plans to build your own if that is what you are looking for...I built my own and bought the heating elements with help from my local appliance store. Mine is 6 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet. The plans that I have call for a grill/smoker and a clothes dryer(?) heater (that, or a washing machine heater...cant really remember). My email address is [email protected]

Rabidhamster
11-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Have you guys seen this?

I went to buy one, but it says on the box that you cant use an oven which you cook food in to bake your newly powdercoated goodies.

How the heck are you supposed to bake it, campfire? the neighbors house?

Am I missing something?

heh.. I know it's been mentioned... just means don't bake the parts in the same oven your gonna cook with

I was looking at the eastwood unit... I'll have to check out the Sears unit

anyone know if it'll use the eastwood powders? (sounds silly but hey you never know)

Bowtie racing
12-17-2006, 09:51 AM
How the heck are you supposed to bake it,the neighbors house?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

scogin918
12-18-2006, 04:14 AM
What do you mean, I've eaten plenty of things baked in the same oven. You guys ever eat lead paint chips? Now there's some gooood eatin'! I gotta go, the dog's scratchin' at the asbestos insulation I took down last week.:barf:

yohinan
12-28-2006, 03:22 PM
As mentioned above all they are stating is don't use an oven to bake parts in that is also used to cook food. You need to have a dedicated oven that is used for parts only and never for food.

If you will shoot me an email, I can send you plans to build your own if that is what you are looking for...I built my own and bought the heating elements with help from my local appliance store. Mine is 6 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet. The plans that I have call for a grill/smoker and a clothes dryer(?) heater (that, or a washing machine heater...cant really remember). My email address is [email protected]

This sounds similar to what my powdercoater uses. His does not use a grill/smoker or clothes dryer element though. He actually went to one of the appliance junkyards and bought 12 of the elements (make sure you get a guarantee they will work prior to buying and if they dont you can exchange them for one that does work) out of the ovens you have in your home. He then constructed a dual walled metal enclosure that is by rough guestimate 6' X 6' X 7' in measurement. He then wired all the elements together and tied that into an electical device that automatically regulates the temp inside the room. He just sets the temp and leaves it alone and the device he has raises or lowers the elements temp as needed to maintain the desired temp and amount of time on.

And for anyone that thinks this does not work I will put his powdercoating skills up against the best in the business. I have tested several of his parts with a hammer and have yet to have one of his coated parts chip.

HTH

abodyjoe
12-29-2006, 01:03 AM
didn't know sears were selling them now... a friend of mine has a eastwood kit that works very well...

i can tell you one thing for sure . you definatley don't want to do it inside your house.. man does that stuff smell... best bet is to find an old oven somewhere and put it outside or in your garage to do it... someone is always throwing out an old stove so it shouldn't be too hard to find one..

CarlC
12-29-2006, 04:24 PM
I've used an old gas BBQ with good results. Hard part is maintaining temperature.

CTravis
03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
http://forum.caswellplating.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

I apologize to those of you wanting the plans for building the powdercoating oven (which I have misplaced). Here is a great link to another forum for some of you guys wanting to make your own. Again, my apologizes.

dh_gto
05-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Check out Columbiacoatings.com. They have pretty much everything you need to powder coat.