PDA

View Full Version : Procharger Race Bypass Valve Installation Pics, Ideas, etc...

Tim_in_NC
02-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a Procharger Race Bypass Valve that I'll be installing sometime down the road and was hoping to get some info about proper placement, etc...

It would be great if some of you have installation pics of where and how you connected this valve in your ducting from the blower to carb/throttle body...

Thanks,
TIM

DeltaT
02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Look at my site and you will see detailed pix. I made a blower inlet with a bypass dump directly into it. The best place to position a bypass is right before the throttle blades or right after the blower. Somewhere in ther middle will still work but you have a column of air on it's way somewhere else that doesn't want to turn into your bypass.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Tim_in_NC
02-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks Jim ... Great pictures...

Tim_in_NC
02-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Jim,

I noticed in this picture...

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/4dr_inletadapterforvortech_bypassinplace.jpg

you have the bypass set up where the Bypassed air comes out and into the ducting where the fresh air (via the K&N filter) is coming... Is this how the race bypass is to be installed or can the bypassed air just be diverted below the engine into the atmosphere... I'm thinking with my 15 lbs of boost or so, that my bypassed air might be too hot to throw back into the "colder" atmosphere air entering the blower...

-TIM

Blown353
02-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Just dump the bypass air. Recirculating the air back through the blower (while quieter) just puts hot air back through the blower heating it up more. If you rig up a cold air intake and dump the bypass out into oblivion the blower will always have an outside ambient temp supply of air going through it helping to keep the oil temp (and therefore discharge air temp when under boost) lower.

As far as where to place the dump, it's always a good idea to place it as close as you can to the point of restriction-- that would be the carb or throttle body.

Troy

DeltaT
02-24-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm running an intercooler so my temps never really bother me dumping it back in, and I do it mostly for stealth. Troy's method works also, as long as you are not running a MAF system - the loss of already metered air would mess up the system.

Jim

Tim_in_NC
02-25-2006, 06:09 AM
thanks guys

vmapper
05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm running an intercooler so my temps never really bother me dumping it back in, and I do it mostly for stealth. Troy's method works also, as long as you are not running a MAF system - the loss of already metered air would mess up the system.

Jim

This statement is incorrect.

Many run a MAF system with an Open air Bypass valve... Key is to have the MAF in a straight portion of the pipe (screened is ideal - aluminum honeycomb) AFTER the inter-cooler.
The bypass valve MUST be BEFORE the Intercooler (therefore a) Air has not been metered as of yet) and also very important, the turbulence shock that occurs with the operation of the Bypass valve is not read by the MAF....

I know this thread is old, but Im a firm believer of keeping good info on the internet... someone would read this and default think that a MAF and a bypass valve (to open atmosphere) is NOT possible, when it is.

christiandude
05-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Great pics and project. Thanks for the post.