PDA

View Full Version : heads/cam 5.3

WS6
02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
im having a hard time getting performancetrucks.com or whatever the sister site to LS1tech is working, so i thought maybe id ask here and see if i can get some answers.

just doing some thinking here so bare with me. what is a 5.3 liter heads/cam combo worth power wise? ive found many cam only numbers but no heads/cam numbers. i know the heads are great when on the 5.7 and 6.0 because it raises the compression. im not sure what the CR is on the 5.3 but i know it runs 87 octane so theres room for improvement.

i guess what i need to know is whats the factory compression and whats achevible from milling the heads? what power is possible with a simple heads/cam combo 5.3? im thinking a cam in the 228-232 range. also can the heads handle comp 918 springs without any machine work? just swap them on like you can do with the LS1/6 heads? also an LS6 intake will be on the engine, not the factory truck intake. this would be through a manual but if you want to quote flywheel numbers thats fine.

honestly i dont see how mid to upper 300s at the wheels isnt possible with a heads/cam motor using a cam in that range. im sure torque will be down compared to a bigger engine, but there shouldnt be any reason a modern 327 can't scream. am I nuts?

thanks