PDA

View Full Version : Getting to paint... what color black?

madmax
02-23-2006, 02:30 PM
I need some help guys... the Camaro is not there YET, but will get to paint in about a month. I want to paint it black, and am looking for the best, "richest, deepest" black you cant think of.

Like black whole suck your eyballs in black.

I know some say black is black, but I know some are better than others.

Thanks!
Max

eville
02-23-2006, 02:51 PM
See my sig. for a pic. It's a dupont base/clear. Very deep. It's been a while so I've forgotten some details. I'll try and bump into my painter soon.

rocketman
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
i am using dupont hot hues blackend,very rich black.no pic's yet,the car was ppg black for a 03 mercedes

hotrodgary
02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I actually used PPG Concept Black.

It's single stage and was highly recommended to me to use, A guy I know just finished a black t-roadster with orange wire wheels on it for SEMA, Won best of show there this year too! But he used the same paint on it also.

I was leary about the single stage but man it shines & looks good!

I havent wet sanded or wheeled the body out yet other than the firewall, which sanded and polished AWESOME! It seriously 10 feet deep!!!

The pics in my link dont really do it justice!

Later,
Gary

customcarpainter
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Single stage black will always be blacker that bc/cc,because the clear will actually gray it up some.Usually not noticeable to the eye,but park next to a SLICK single stage black and check it out.If ya go single stage,have them mix the black with some dark blue or violet toner in there.Don't use a lot of the toner.For some reason it makes the black appear blacker.The Hot Hues black is supposed to be blacker than PPG's triple black.HOK has a VERY black single stage also.If ya use HOK,call their tech support and tell them what ya want.

RobM
02-23-2006, 06:51 PM
i also used dupont black i think its a Ford black actualy i really like it.

jy211
02-24-2006, 05:29 AM
I used toyota black on my 68'. email me if you wanna see a pic...

rocketman
02-24-2006, 10:39 AM
my 37 was single stage,i thougth about the same paint but i am wanting it blacker,if that make sense.the hot hues blackened looks real rich and deep.i had read that bc/cc black can be duller so to speak that a single stage black.but most everything i do is single stage,i dont like the headaches of clearing everything.

Travis B
02-24-2006, 10:55 AM
I plan on painting my entire car single stage black sanding out all the imperfections then putting the green on and clearing it....That way there is absolutly no way there will be dirt in the black

madmax
02-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I took a look at all of your cars, and they look great! Hopefully soon I will have a car that looks like that too.

vintageracer
02-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Black is NOT Black. Believe it or not, the 2 hardest colors to "match" are black and white. After many years in the color business you would not believe how difficult these 2 colors can be to colormatch. You would "think" they would be easy!

Dupont has a base/clear color called "negro". Yes, that is the real name of the color. It is very black. I just repainted one of my 87 Grand Nationals with this color. It is good color to consider if you want a real dark black.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-28-2006, 08:04 AM
It's not a deep black, but I saw a '04 STi in the sun once and was astounded by the color. Tons of pearl in the black, really, really nice. I'm pretty sure it was the OEM black, it might be something worth looking into.

baz67
02-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Dupont has a base/clear color called "negro". Yes, that is the real name of the color. It is very black. I just repainted one of my 87 Grand Nationals with this color. It is good color to consider if you want a real dark black.

"Negro" is black is spanish. Not a big deal. If the PC police have issue with that then f em and they need to get a life.

PonchoJohn
03-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Another shade of black that I'm fond of is Harley's Vivid Black. It's a very "lush" looking color when waxed up- at least my Night Train has that appearance.

MuscleRodz
03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
HOK Jet Black is very deep, or go with a single stage as been mentioned above.

Mike

madmax
03-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow. You guys rock... I have a lot of cars to look at!

Thanks Ralph, I didn't really think of a black with some pearl or flake in it... I kind of dismissed it, but I can always go to a dealership and check it out!

Max

Ralph LoGrasso
03-02-2006, 02:58 PM
No problem, Max. Black is super slick (super PITA to keep clean, too), but whenever I look at my SS, I'm always wanting something more than just the plain black (especially in the sun). Seeing the metallic black on the STi just reaffirmed it more, if ever I were to build a car specifically for black, I'd likely use that color. Lots of guys don't like metallics or pearls though, so to each his own as they say.

customcarpainter
03-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Another option would be to paint it a black metallic,using a very coarse ground flake,then spraying a coat of red or blue candy over the top prior to clearcoat.It will look black most of the time,but in the bright sunlight,it will change to a dark red or blue metallic.Try it on a test panel and see what ya think.