PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Works Exhaust

Phillip_L
02-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I ordered a 3" system from Stainless Works. The system looks great. It's the CA6769LSD with X-pipe and straight through mufflers.

My concern is, they used 2.5" mufflers? They say this was done to keep the noise down. Should I be concerned with this? In my opinion, I paid for 3" exhaust, so I want 3" exhaust. Why go through the trouble of routing 3" pipe if 2.5" is the bottle neck. They do have 3" chamber vs 2.5" straight.

Any recommendations?

Phillip

homerneedspeed
02-23-2006, 11:02 PM
what engine are you running, chances are you are not hurting the engine using a 2.5" muffler. if you want loud then call them and ask for 3" mufflers , there was an article in PHR a few months ago about exhaust systems that went into detail on the size of the exhaust and the result it had on horsepower and noise.

Phillip_L
02-24-2006, 05:27 AM
I am not looking for loud, I am looking for performance. I am installing an LS2, ported heads, cam, and blower. If 3" turbo muffler are going to be excessively loud, then I do not want that.

Stainless Work is willing to do what ever I would like (2.5" turbo, 3" turbo, 3" chambered). I am trying to see what others are using and recommend.

Phillip

alstainlessworks
02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Phillip

I have some interesting dyno info off of the N/A engine that was in the Mule when Mark Stielow first built it. He was nice enough to dyno the engine with open headers, straight through mufflers, and turbo chambered mufflers for us. The straight through mufflers had a 2 1/2" core (3" inlet and outlet), and the chambered mufflers were built as a factory style big block chevelle muffler with a slightly free-er (is that a word?) flowing core than the factory set up.

The results were very surprising. With open headers the average torque and horsepower was 492, and 485 (from 3500-6600). Peak #'s were 524 and 611. With s tube (straight through) and a full 3" exhaust, average torque and HP were 495 and 488, with peak #'s being 526 and 610. With the chambered mufflers and a full 3" exhaust, average torque and HP were 479 and 473, with peak #'s being 510 and 596. Even though the chambered mufflers were much lower, keep in mind that this was an engine dyno-not chassis dyno, and these mufflers were much, much quieter than the s tube mufflers (about 6-8 DB).

As you can see, the 2 1/2" core size of the mufflers, even on this engine, worked reallly well and made great power. I would be happy to email the dyno results to you if you want to see the whole chart. If you still want 3" core mufflers, we would be happy to do this for you but they will be noticeably louder. We use the 2 1/2" core because it is a great way to still flow enough to support 600 flywheel HP and be reasonably quiet. The mufflers sound great and do not drone in the car-I have them on my 67 rs/ss that makes 400 RWHP.

Let us know if you need anything.

Thanks
Al Noe
General Manager
Stainless Works

Steve68
03-01-2006, 04:20 AM
Now that a reply! Good job Al,

Phillip_L
03-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Al,

I spoke with Brian at Stainless Work. I had a hell of time getting the system to fit. I realize 3" pipe is going to be though no matter how it as bent. I basically had to put the rear pipes in a bind to keep them off the rear springs.

The headers seem to come back way too far to transition into the X-pipe. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Phillip

chicane67
03-31-2006, 07:59 PM
.....about 6-8 DB.....

They were half as loud ?? Really.........??

D Rock
04-01-2006, 11:47 AM
3 DB is twice as loud, so 6 is 4X as loud. Correct?

chicane67
04-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Correct. 3dB is twice multiplied..... and 6dB is four.