PDA

View Full Version : Updated Front Suspension Questions - '68 Camaro

ItDoRun
02-23-2006, 11:49 AM
All,
I am about to start spending some cash on my front suspension and wanted some opinions on my purchases. Here is what I'm planning on buying:

Hotchkis 2" Lowered Front Springs
Hothckis 1-1/8" Front Sway Bar Kit
Global West Upper Tubular Control Arms w/Polyurethane Bushings
Global West Lower Tubular Control Arms w/ Polyurethane Bushings
Quick Ratio Steering Box vs. BRP Rack & Pinion Kit (Not Sure Yet)
Shocks - ?????? Not sure yet.

What I'm really looking for in this conversion is a better stance and improved handling. This car will be a cruiser with an occasional trip to the drag strip. What I don't want is a rough riding car. I'll also be adding the LS1 to it after this is complete.

What does everyone think of this? Money is somewhat of an option here. That is why I chose the polyurethane route instead of Del-alum. These little things add up quick in the end.

MSchu
02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Do a search on Hotchkis front springs and form your opinion from that. They may not give you the stance you want. For shocks I'd go w/ Bilsteins from Global West. If money is an issue, I'd cross off both the GW UCA and LCA's and use Del-alums with the stock control arms coupled with the Guldstrand mod.

baz67
02-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I agree with the killing of the LCA's however, keeping the UCA may not be that bad of an idea. I would get the del-a-lums for upper and lower CAs. The Guldstrand mod only gets you around 4-5* positive caster on the first gen. Using the Guldstrand mod and GW uppers can get you better geometry and over 7* positive caster if you want it.

Stick with the PS box. They have not cured all the bumpsteer issues with an RP.

I second the Bilsteins.

jeffs68
02-23-2006, 03:05 PM
If you do decide to go with the GW arms top and bottom and don't mind paying a little more GW sells a kit that comes with QA1 coilovers so you can get the exact stance you are looking for.

importkiller69ss
02-23-2006, 03:23 PM
where is a good place to get the del-a-lums at a good price for the stock lca's

squid
02-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Here's whats sitting on the shelves in the garage: ( I have'nt had the time to install!)

Baer SS Front Brakes
Praise Dyno Rear Drum Kit
Hotchkis Hollow Sway Bar
DSE UCA
DSE LCA Bushings
DSE Rear 3" drop Springs and Shackles
DSE PS Pump/Bracket/Cooler/SS Hoses
DSE Koni Rear Shocks
QA1 Front Coilovers
IROC PS Box
MOOG Steering Pieces

I bought the 3rd Gen IROC box after the responses I recieved here, and the price for flaming rivers/DSE boxes. My PS box was $160 at Shucks.

Check this site for what's required.
http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html

Nice Camaro, my car looks similar!

Lowend
02-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Here are my thoughts...
1) Polyurethane has no place in rotational applications. Order the Upper GW A-arms with Del-A-Lum bushings.
2) The tubular lower arms don't really offer anything over stock except looking pretty. Keep your factory lower arms, paint them, install a balljoint in the Del-A-Lum lower bushings in those.
3) I have had good luck with the Hotchkis front springs - good choice IMHO
4) Get the matched Bilstien shocks from Hotchkis they are custom valved specifically to work with their springs.

6'9"Witha69
02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
If you are going Hotchkis stick with their Bilsteins since thay are valved to match their springs. Go Del-A-Lum if you can even if it means sacrificing the tubular LCA and just using GWs stock LCA Del-A-Lum conversion. The Guldstrand mod is very good. In addition to the caster it creates a negative camber gain ideal for handling. See Dave Pozzi's site here (http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension_geome.htm#Re-located%20upper%20mount) for more info.

importkiller69ss
02-23-2006, 04:49 PM
squid om sent

rocketrod
02-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Here are my thoughts...
1) Polyurethane has no place in rotational applications. Order the Upper GW A-arms with Del-A-Lum bushings.
2) The tubular lower arms don't really offer anything over stock except looking pretty. Keep your factory lower arms, paint them, install a balljoint in the Del-A-Lum lower bushings in those.
3) I have had good luck with the Hotchkis front springs - good choice IMHO
4) Get the matched Bilstien shocks from Hotchkis they are custom valved specifically to work with their springs.
I am running this set up also with Hotchkis rear springs and I am very happy with it.

David Pozzi
02-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Do as Lowend suggests, polly is not very reliable, it's sticky stuff. I'd rather use rubber than polly but Delrin is my first choice, it doesn't ride rough, allows the suspension to move smoothly, lasts as long as you grease it.
David

ItDoRun
02-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will scratch the LCA's and buy Del-Alum bushings instead. Also, what is involved in converting to the QA1 coilover set-up? I see a lot of people are going this route, but I'm unsure if this would be money well spent. I just received a Happy B-Day call from the wife (being that today is my b-day) and she has decided to give me a plentiful "Camaro Fund" gift for parts I need. Get this, she even offered to buy me an LS1/T56 if I wanted her to. I would just feel guilty about making her spend that kind of money for a birthday, so I said no! BUT I did remind her that Christmas is 10 months away!

Chris

Lowend
02-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Just use springs, the QA1 stuff isn't that good

PTAddict
02-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't see it anywhere in this thread, so I'll throw in the suggestion that you consider a set of Global West subframe connectors. Particularly when you add the stiffer springs and shocks, the first gens in particular are not real rigid. The subframe connectors tighten up the feel of the car quite a bit.

I notice you mention not wanting a rough ride, and drag strip use. The Hotchkis/Bilstein combo, at least on my '71, was "firm to very firm" in ride quality, and definitely not optimized for weight transfer at the strip. Although I'm not particularly a fan of the QA-1 coilover setup either for max handling (not enough spring rate), they can be adjusted to be smoother riding, and to help transfer weight at the strip.

David Pozzi
02-24-2006, 08:01 PM
I'd put in solid subframe to body mounts too.
for a softer ride, check out some of Global West's middle rate springs, they have something around 450 that would ride better but it's on the soft side for autocrossing or track days.

ItDoRun
02-27-2006, 05:41 AM
David,
Would you still recommend th Bilstein shocks with the GW middle rate springs. Also, what is the spring rate on the Hotchkis springs?

Chris