PDA

View Full Version : `61 2dr. Suburban "ProTowing?"

Marcus SC&C
02-23-2006, 10:00 AM
I thought you guys might enjoy one of the projects we have going in the shop. It`s a customer`s black `61 GMC Suburban 2 door. It looks like a giant Nomad. We`re doing it ProTouring style with the twist of having a Class 3 hitch to pull their enclosed drag bike trailer. I`ll give you a quick rundown of parts/features:
RamJet 502,5"OD sidepipes with internal cooling,TCI S.Streetfighter 700R4,DTS Dana60 w 35 spline Strange axles,SC&C modified front suspension,truck arm rear suspension with adj. panhard bar,adj. QA1 shocks,dual AC,ARG fast ratio power steering,Howe NASCAR aluminum rad.,18" American Racing custom shop TT2s,Baer 13.15" discs all around,HydraTech hydraboost etc. etc. Pics to come. :) Mark SC&C

srh3trinity
02-23-2006, 12:54 PM
We need pics, I saw one sitting out in an old field somewhere in North Florida or South Alabama, it had some really sweet body lines, lost of potential.

Damn True
02-23-2006, 01:04 PM
:postpics:

seriously

Travis B
02-23-2006, 01:33 PM
The side pipes may be a little questionable....I don't even like those on vettes.....?

sounds like a cool project though...different for sure

Marcus SC&C
02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Here`s a quick "before" pic. Sorry for the lousy quality. At the time I snapped the pic the side pipes were on,the old engine/trans,heater box were out. Crossmembers modified for the OD trans,AGR steering box and Flaming River polished stainless column were in. Needless to say these wheels/tires and sky high ride height are gone! I`ll post some more (and BETTER) pics next week.
A note about the side pipes,the customer really wanted them and we aim to please. Our challenge was to make them A)Look right on such a big truck. B) Not burn the bejesus out of the driver`s legs when they got in and out. C) Have a reasonable noise level D) Flow better than the typical Hooker side pipes It wasn`t easy but I think we did pretty well on A,B and D. C remains to be heard but I`m fairly confident. They`re internally air cooled and have 36" long internal shields of 2500* NASA/Boeing insulation (used in the space shuttle,satellites etc.). If our prior experience is any indication they should remain almost room temperature no matter how long or hard the motor runs. :twothumbs Mark SC&C
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/02/61Suburban1-1.jpg

nekkidhillbilly
02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
put a dmax in it :hammer:

Johnny Blaze
02-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Wheel and ride height will make that truck or break it. I am digging it though!

Marcus SC&C
02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Man that`s an awful pic... I dunno what a dmax is. Final ride height will be about 8" lower than you see in the pic. That should get rid of the 4x4 look. We can`t mount the new 18" TT2s until the brakes come in. We`re changing the bolt pattern from 6 lug to 5 on 5. The brakes should be in late next week though. :)
The huge mirrors are flyin too. It`s been a challenge to find some nice trim modern mirrors that will still allow good visibility when towing. We`ll probably have to fab them from scratch. Mark SC&C

lo97sonoma
02-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Man that`s an awful pic... I dunno what a dmax is. Final ride height will be about 8" lower than you see in the pic. That should get rid of the 4x4 look. We can`t mount the new 18" TT2s until the brakes come in. We`re changing the bolt pattern from 6 lug to 5 on 5. The brakes should be in late next week though. :)
The huge mirrors are flyin too. It`s been a challenge to find some nice trim modern mirrors that will still allow good visibility when towing. We`ll probably have to fab them from scratch. Mark SC&C

I beleive the DMAX he is referring to is chevys Durmax desiel with Allison tranny.

Marcus SC&C
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Ahhh,gotcha. Actually that was the first choice but the project morphed into a lot more than a tow vehicle,hence the term ProTow. They want it to do 0-60 in less than 7sec. WITH the trailer and handle like a BMW or Lexus performance SUV without the trailer. Here`s another pic,the quality still stinks. This digital camera gets grainy unless it has a *lot* of light. Once the brakes/hubs etc. are on and we can back it outside I`ll snap some good pics. This is a little higher than final ride height because it`s still on stands and they don`t go any lower. Also the front wheels will be tucked into the wheel wells more. It gives you an idea of where it`s going though. We may have the rear view mirror problem licked too. We found some mirrors for Indy/CHAMP cars that are really aero but extend out far enough for good visibility with the trailer. I`ll bet SPA never thought their race mirrors would end up on a `61 Suburban! :) Mark SC&C
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/02/61Suburban2-1.jpg