PDA

View Full Version : Could someone give me a recomendation for turbos

rmkman
02-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I have a 69 camaro with a 496 bbc. I would like to run twin turbos and don't know much about turbos. Would like to build on a budget find used parts if available. I can build my headers and all my tubing. Which turbos and blow off valves and Intercoolers would be best for my application? Also right now I am running a 850 Holley carb. Can I still use it with turbos? Would apperciate some advice. Thanks Ty

Little Bob
02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
You should give Turbonetics a call. They should be able to help you. Also check out Banks.

Y-TRY
02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Blow-thru carbs are very specifically set-up for that purpose. Contact CSU and see if you can send your carb in for the necessary changes. It's not cheap, though. My CarShop carb, new, was about $1200.

Although you are on a budget my advice is to not go buy rusty junkyard stuff. I'd say to hit Ebay and look for some newer 'no name' stuff. Size wise, for a BBC, I'd look for a couple 70-76mm turbos and some inexpensive HKS knock-off wastegates and homebrewed intercooler cores.

Do a search for "HKS Wastegate" and "Garrett" and "Spearco". You'll come back with a ton of new and refurb'd stuff for relatively cheap. That's because you are on a budget. The quality may be questionable but a lot of these parts are pretty simple and hard to screw up (esp. wastegates and BOV's) You could buy a new knock-off for 1/2 the price of a used real-deal.

Off to Ebay, my friend. Let us know what you find!

Matt
02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
tial wastegates are good, and good bang for buck, twin 38mm's should work. Turboxs blowoff's are good, get an externally gated turbo as well, internals have probs sometimes.

Alot of the knock off stuff has probs, and I'd rather spend the extra 100 on good wastegates and blowoffs to know my 1500 in turbos or 5k in engine isn't gonna go bye-bye because I was cheap.

rmkman
02-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am going to give turbonetics a call and talk to them about what my plans are. From what I have read they are pretty good. I also need to do more research about turbos before I jump in and mess things up. Thanks Ty