PDA

View Full Version : IRS & IFS on a G-Body

KnyteRyda87
02-21-2006, 06:48 AM
Hey guys, i know that this would probably be a irrelevent thread but i have to ask, cuz i plan on doing this swap once i get to school, and would like all the info and help and guidance i could get.
What would be the best IFS set up for a 87-88 Monte carlo, and what would Be the best IRS setup for the same car.
The ifs wont be that much of a problem over the irs so i am more focused on the rear more than i am on the front, since the rear will be harder. i have heard of different setups but would like to get any suggestions. and if possible, anything that would help me out in the swap like articles or anyone who has done a irs g-body swap, or any irs swap for that matter.
one setup was to use the c4 rear,
another was to use a viper rear and control arms, and the last one would to use a c6 complete suspension and drivetrain.
so just let me know of any other ideas u guys might have, and tell me what ya think.
and for those who are interested, while im in school i can take pics of the whole installation step by step, and take down notes and numbers for those who are also interested in this kind of swap. i will be attending wyotech so all the tools and everything i need for the swap will be at my disposal.
so wish me good luck, if you want to get in contact with me u can reach me at [email protected]

DonQuehotey
02-21-2006, 07:13 AM
I think you really need to decypher what you are after here...... truth be told, the suspension under the G bodies is not all that hatefull when refering to a "rounded" suspension. The rear suspension is fine and there are plenty of upgrade pieces for the link arms out back and I am sure there is a hoard of improvements that can be done in the front end. I know there are several brake upgrade available.... A little FYI, the Vette C-4 rear and the Viper rear are both Dana 44 rear ends. I am not sure what the arm difference (hub to hub width) although that can be altered.

Norm Peterson
02-21-2006, 04:41 PM
It's a very ambitious project, if indeed it's the one described on the public profile page. In addition to comments made elsewhere, I don't think that the suggestion of taking a couple of mechanical engineering courses would be out of line. Next best thing - and a minimum one at that - would be to read everything you can find about chassis & suspension (there's a pretty good list of books floating around) until you have a really good idea how all this is going to work in 3-D. And how it will fit, in 3-D, with your chassis, which will probably require some stiffening so that everything works properly. Expect not to get the springs/sta-bars/shocks spot-on with the first shot, so plan on some test 'n' tune time.

I think you already know from the other post that I am not actively trying to discourage you. What I am trying to do is get the point across that a properly done IRS is much more than just assembling a collection of links and universal joints. The geometry and the fine tuning matter a great deal.

Actually, I'd really like to see this project succeed. But understand that most of the time a well done stick axle is better/friendlier than an indifferently done IRS.

Norm