PDA

View Full Version : Car Dollies

bretcopsey
02-20-2006, 06:07 AM
I found this recent thread, https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13200&highlight=skates but it doesn't cover what I'm looking for.

I seem to remember seeing dollies that allowed for a standard jack stand to sit on it, so you could use the dollies with stands under the frame or without the stands under the tires as normal. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Jim Nilsen
02-22-2006, 07:49 AM
I have seen what you are talking about but I never saw the name brand of the dollies. I will say that it looked really dangerous to me when I looked at it and thought it takes a lot of faith in rolling a car around like that. Remember that unless the dollies are all connected together somehow that if one rolls one way and another rolls the other the car can fall. When swivel dollies start to change direction they pivot and rotate on the axis of the way they are sitting. Plus if one hits something to stop it from rolling it might fall off that jack stand.

You can do it if you want to but I would personally not recommend moving a car that way. A wooden frame and casters for just a shell or a frame has been proven to work and is not that expensive, not recommended for a full car but for partials it does work.

I did my whole car in a little 2 car garage and never even had the wheel dollies.

Goodluck finding them if you still want to do it and if I see them I will post it for you here.

Jim Nilsen

astroracer
02-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Here you go Bret...
http://www.kingdolly.com/
I have to side with Jim on this though. Unless you have a perfectly flat, clean floor I would hesitate to shove a car around while it is on the stands... MAYBE if it was bolted to the stands it would be okay but I would still be leary of it...
Mark

bretcopsey
02-22-2006, 08:25 AM
:eek:

Mark. thanks for the link, but d@mn those are expensive considering they are made of wood and bolted together!!

After seeing what is available and the points you have both made, I think I'll try to come up with "plan B." I only need to get access to the side that is currently up against the wall to replace the outer rocker when the time comes. I had a body dolly, but got rid of it because it was in my way more than anything.

Maybe I'll put the front subframe back on after doing the floor, before moving on to the rockers....

Thanks for the responses guys!

astroracer
02-22-2006, 09:16 AM
I thought they were kinda spendy also... I just bought a couple of furniture dollies at HF, on sale, for $16 ea... The technology is the same with casters being the only difference and I didn't see $220 dollars worth of casters there...
I will be in the same boat you are when it comes time to remove the cradle from the Astro (if I ever get there...). I have thought about modifying one of the cheap car dollies by cutting it in half and adding some tubing stretchers between the two pieces. I would then build a truss on top of that to hold the van at my desired "build" height. The truss would bolt into a couple of the forward cradle attachments and, being welded to the "cart" should be stable enough to stand up to some pushing and shoving.
Mark