PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't the Unique Rear set-up hook?

Randyn
02-20-2006, 05:38 AM
I saw a drag race between the Year One mustang and the Unique Mustang car on Speed Vision.

Year One car runs 11.50's at 117
Unique car runs 12.50's at 124

The Unique car was all over. Almost crashed at mid track. 60', was a joke. I was very dissapointed, We need some performance figures on all theses aftermarket suspensions, not just the fact that they look good. I would like 60' times as well.

Comments please!

Randy

gearbanger
02-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Cars with bigger than 15 or 16" rear wheels are never going to 60 very well. That is just not what they are made to do. Unfortunately if you want to drag race, pro touring suspension is not what you want.

baz67
02-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Because Unique sells to people who put form over function. Thier rear suspension looks great, but well you saw it on tv. This is the first I have heard on how it performs. However, we have discussed the theory of the suspension here a while back and came to the conclusion it was not the greatest.

ProdigyCustoms
02-20-2006, 07:24 AM
But it looks trick!

MarkM66
02-20-2006, 07:35 AM
What show was this on?

Mean 69
02-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately if you want to drag race, pro touring suspension is not what you want.

That isn't completely true, and certainly not in the realm of under ten second cars. I didn't see the video, but I have a feeling I know exactly why the Unique car can't hook. No question, the tires are of little help, but there's more to it that just that. I would guess that roll steer is not a friend of the drag strip, certainly not on the road course, but as you stated, the car was squirrely, my guess is that this has a lot to do with it. They make huge anti-squat due to the short torque arm, so it "should" plant the tires.

I agree though, it is one very cool looking system. And man, 124 MPH in the quarter?! That is a very fast PT car, they are certainly very pretty. The suspension is the only thing I'd change.

Mark

Randyn
02-20-2006, 10:10 AM
The Year One car seemed to have the similar G-machine treatment. I don't know what suspension it used, but it appeared to have a similar tire and wheel combo. Bottom line is the car accelerated! No it did not pull a 1.5 60' and pull the tires, I'm not saying that. It did, however 330' and 1/8th very well to run 11.50 at 117-118. That to me puts it hooking and accelerating comparable to a modern car such as a Z06. Thats what I think we are all after. Making our old cars perform all around as well as some new cars such as a C6.

That unique car spun and slid the whole way down the track. Almost crashed! Ya it looks pretty but to me did not perform. All of the Mags have referenced the new hot suspensions, but none have compared performance.

Randy

PS I'm calling Year One now! I'll be back

Randyn
02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
It was on "Rides" (I think). That is a HDTV station, thats the same station that shows American Chopper. I think its Discovery HD. (Directv in my house)

Randy

zbugger
02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
It could also be that they just overpowered the suspension and tires. That right there is proof that there can be too much power.

John McIntire
02-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I think you have the times wrong. That Unique car only ran 13's I think. That first run of Year One, was a solo, and spun off the line and ran a trap speed of 124.
Earlier in the show they had them on a chassis dyno, and the Year One car laid down over 550HP to the wheels, and the Unique car put out like 440 HP I think.
The Year One car was supercharged, and the Unique car was naturally aspirated.
I dont think it was a matter of the car not being able to hook. On the run where he almost lost it, it looked like he got out of the "groove". I've seen stock LS1's get squirrely at the top end. Track prep is also a factor, and also who ran that lane before him, did he put down something that was missed?

gearbanger
02-20-2006, 12:09 PM
The touring suspensions are not designed to transfer weight to the rear tires and that is all I was saying about drag racing. If you get a 60ft time under 2 seconds with a car that has over 60-40 from to rear weight dist. you are doing good. Add horsepower and a stickshift and you are really going to struggle. Now as far as top end goes, I suppose the G-machine suspension would have some advantages, but the heavier tire and wheel combos on the front would hurt acceleration.

All I'm saying is, there is no such thing as a car that is great at everything. Do you want to go straight or do you want to hang curves?

Randyn
02-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I think that the cars were the way I said. I called the Year One techline today. The Year One car has a Martz suspension and QA1's. I'll research some more.

Randy

MrQuick
02-20-2006, 11:16 PM
don't forget the driver

ProStreet R/T
02-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Cars with bigger than 15 or 16" rear wheels are never going to 60 very well. That is just not what they are made to do. Unfortunately if you want to drag race, pro touring suspension is not what you want.

Hate to tell ya but get that b/s out of your head. You don't drive them the same, but done properly they will run just fine. Unless cutting 1.4's and running 8.50's on 18" drag radials is considered "not very well" And I've personally cut 1.7's in a viper with 345/30/20's out back so it can be done. Oh and that car was dead stock IRS, save for a set of motons and a brace to keep from tearing the diff out of the car. Car has since gone 9's on pump gas and 20's, not too bad if you ask me.

Sure they will never hook like a 29x12x15 hoosier, but what do you expect, that wrinkle wall won't win an auto-x either.

11.50's @ 117 tells me that car was hooked up pretty damn well for a street setup.

DonQuehotey
02-21-2006, 06:57 AM
You can tell that most peoples ideas of what a PT car are and should be. I see a few guys on here that talk and give advice to people like they are building a car capable of running 24hrs at LeMans. I think we ought to break this down here. A PT car in my opinion should do EVERYTHING well. I mirror image of yesterday wrapped up in to todays technology. It should handle good through the turns, capable on a 1/4 mile, & provide modern comfort going down the road. From what I gather, that is what 90% of the readers of this board want to. Lets keep it real guys... there are plenty of road course and 1/4 mile junkie web sites.

sinned
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
You can tell that most peoples ideas of what a PT car are and should be. I see a few guys on here that talk and give advice to people like they are building a car capable of running 24hrs at LeMans. I think we ought to break this down here. A PT car in my opinion should do EVERYTHING well. Lets keep it real guys... there are plenty of road course and 1/4 mile junkie web sites.So a car that pulls sub 1.7 60' times and still hangs with a C5 on the road course isn't a PT car in your opinion since it is obviously too fast and handles too well to be a PT car huh? You are correct; people obviously have very different views of what a PT car is.

rickk
02-21-2006, 04:57 PM
the year one mustang has the martz chassis in the ft - rear .

rick k