PDA

View Full Version : Best chassis paint

brickyard69
02-19-2006, 10:55 AM
What is the best chassis paint out of a spray can?

I tried POR15 and did not like the way it laid out (more for floors I think).

The Eastwood Chassis Black was not bad.

I don't have the cash to have it powder coated.

Any ideas?

LSxChevelle
02-19-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm having my frame powder coated for $200. How much did you get told it would be?

Jason

aonghus
02-19-2006, 06:31 PM
damn I was quoted at $450 2 months ago, and $300 this past week...

$200 including blasting?

John Monnin
02-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I have a friend that powdercoats frames in Nappanee IN.
I no idea what he charges now but I can find out if you are interested.

Sandblasting is a big factor in the cost. But even without sandblasting I can't imagine it is could be as cheap as $200, That sounds too good of a deal to be true. There is a large variety of powders that vary significanly in cost and quality, Many powders are not UV stable so they should have a UV blocking clear powder on top of the color powder. At my work all of our steel fabriccators have switched to powdercoating and the quality of the coating is worse than old fashioned paint. Ask a LOT of questions.

- How thick is the powder?
- How much coverage will there be? (powder \doesn't like to go into deep crevices
- What type of powder?
- Is the powder UV stable?
- Will there be a clearcoat on top.
- Is sandbalsting included?
- Will the frame be dipped into etching wash before coating?

Another option is E-coating, its a full dip in a paint bath so it is great for frames. There are several places in the Elkhart Indiana that do that. E-coating is more porous so it can be better if you are applying a top coat. With powdercoat you better scuff every square inch of the coating or the top paint can falk off. Ecoating should still be scuffed but it is not as critical.

MuscleRodz
02-20-2006, 12:55 PM
I had an entire Blazer frame and suspension powdercoated for $250. Sandblasting was another $175. There is no way I could buy the paint and do it myself for that.

Mike

Travis B
02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
we use base/clear never been a fan of powder coated frames.....can't do any bodywork on them and never match when done in a body color

LSxChevelle
02-20-2006, 07:36 PM
The $200 was for powder coating only. My cousin had his Super Comp dragster frame, 9 in gousing and some other misc parts done for $400 and turned out beautiful.

Jason

John Monnin
02-22-2006, 05:03 AM
I double checked with my buddy in Napanee IN:

He normally charges $250 for a single layer of standard powdercoating, clearcloats, heat resistant coat, and other special powders cost extra.

Sandblasting is extra, he can arrange to have it done if you drop the chassis off with him. On average the toal come to $500 for sandblasting and powedercoating a full frame.

63SW
02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
I just did the front sub frames and complete underside of the cars on 2 69 camaros im doing and i used PPG DP90 Epoxy . 2 coats.
i didnt care for POR15 either but had good luck with the Black DP 90

Its tuff and you can do any body work needed first and its durable and cheaper than powdercoating ..Just a option.

It has a Satin / semi gloss look to it and wipes clean with no staining.

I can post a picture or come loo at it if you close enough.

Jeff

Hey John . i sent you a PM...heres pics of a few of my cars and one of my 69 Pontiac.