PDA

View Full Version : Mounts for 78 T/A

LS1_78Bandit
02-17-2006, 03:29 PM
I know this must be a FAQ, and I read through the FAQ and even did the "motor mounts" search (plus a few others) but didn't find exactly what I need.

I'm dropping an LS1+T56 into my 78 T/A and I'm trying to figure out which mounts and xmission crossmember are best. I also searched and asked on ls1tech, but the vast majority of the info is on 1st gens.

So ... there are 3 companies I know of that do mounts for the 2nd gens: S&P, BRP and ATS. I've heard mixed reviews on S&P and BRP and almost nothing on ATS. And when I talked to Tyler at ATS he said he didn't have a xmission crossmember yet for the 2nd gens.

The few people I've conversed with that have done 2nd gens have complained that the 2nd gen mounts aren't as universal as you'd like since there's variations in the body throughout the 2nd gen line.

Long story short: does anyone have recommendations/advice on mounts for a 78? Also, what about the firewall clutch mount - S&P and ATS make one - any experiences with either? And did you have to modify your oil pan? I know the 1st gen guys do, but I haven't gotten a good answer on the 2nd gens yet.

Thanks!

70bird
03-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I used the BRP mounts, worked great. S&P for the clutch bracket perfect