PDA

View Full Version : what are the basic metal working tools?

v7guy
02-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I just got done cutting a panel out of 16 gauge steel to cover a hole in my firewall (Roughly 2x2ft with lots of curves and holes for bolts). The tools I used was a black&decker jig saw and a 3/8 drill of the same brand. Now that the panel is done, I'm relieved, but I ruined both tools in the process. I had to stop several times during the drilling and cutting as they got extremely hot.

I can't help but think there has to be an easier way to do this, I presume it's with different tools. Alot of you guys mention bandsaws and drill presses in other threads, is this the solution? What should someone look for when buying these tools?

JoshStratton
02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
I am not a professional metal guy. Novice, at best, but I have dont a few panels before and am in the middle of a rather involved (for me) project involving the creation of a custom tail panel.

(Here are the parts I am using 79 Tail Fab (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13124)

I hope to REALLY get into it this weekend.

Anywhoo, I cannot imagine that jig took too kindly to that, especially 16 gauge. Mercy. :)

I personally like to use air tools. I have an 80 gallon air compressor that can handle just about anything.

My favorite tool is my Craftsman cut-off tool. It will cut through just about anything.

I am not into buying the really expensive stuff like bandsaws and drill presses. I try to make due with what I have because space is currently an issue.

Yet somehow I keep collecting large tools (engine hoists, table saw, metal brake) and have limited space. ---the reason we just moved to 2.5 acres (big garage eventually)

I use a corded 3/8 Dewalt drill to cut holes in thick stuff and a cordless for easy to drill stuff.

Others here would probably have better thoughts. I guess it all just depends on what your budget is , how much room you have and what kind of stuff you want to get into and how creative you can be with what you have, while knowing the limits to what kind of abuse they can take.

Another question to ask is are you looking to create similar stuff to the firewall cover that will be hidden eventually, or do you want to get into custom, high-quality work such as body modifications?

JoshStratton
02-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah. Welcome to the board!

You should introduce yourself on the "welcome" forum. We like to know first names, general locations, cars...the good stuff!

CAMAROBOY69
02-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the board. When it comes to cutting sheet metal or similar metal I used a 4" cutting disk on a grinder. Cuts thru just about any thickness of metal like nothing. That is also what I use when I replace quarter panels, floors and any other sheet metal. :twothumbs
For any large brackets or metal that requires lots of holes or curves, I just get it laser cut out. The laser creats perfect clean cuts.
Also let us know what vehicle you are working on and if you can post pics that would be great too.

v7guy
02-17-2006, 09:30 PM
My budget is modest. Space is somewhat limited.

I'd like to get into modifying my floor pan etc.

I've been looking at a cut off saw and pondering a small drill press. I'd never considered a grinder with a cutting wheel.

Are there brands that I should stay away from?

The drill now makes quite a bit of noise and has over a 1/4 of play front to back.
The jig saw randomly squeals and stops moving the blade up and down.

JoshStratton
02-18-2006, 07:32 AM
I too have used a grinder with a cutting wheel. I big benefit to that is that the blade is a lot thinner than the cut-off tool. less metal to displace.

I am not sure about brands. I usually like to stick to the more well-known brands just because they usually have better track records.

CAMAROBOY69
02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
My budget is modest. Space is somewhat limited.

I'd like to get into modifying my floor pan etc.

I've been looking at a cut off saw and pondering a small drill press. I'd never considered a grinder with a cutting wheel.

Are there brands that I should stay away from?

The drill now makes quite a bit of noise and has over a 1/4 of play front to back.
The jig saw randomly squeals and stops moving the blade up and down.
You and I are in the same situation. I am on an extremely tight budget and everything I do is with only garage tools. I HIGHLY recommend a grinder. My girlfriend and I do all our sheet metal removal with just a Milwakee grinder and 4" cut off disks. It is amazing how much metal you can cut thru with these things. Then you can slap on a grinding wheel to clean up any rough edges. 4" disks are only about $1.75 each and last quite a while. 1 disk can easily remove 2 rear quarter panels from a car. :)
Dont use the jig saw. Those can warp metal really bad plus you go thru so many blades and they are a lot slower than a cutting wheel.
As for name brands. Its like anything else, you get what you pay for. I would recomment Dewalt and Milwakee any day. My cut off wheels are very thin.

Bigblue73
02-20-2006, 05:43 AM
Here's what we use and have found that the following last the longest.

Metabo Grinder Model W-7-115 Quick $200.00
Premium Flex Slicer Blades - 4 1/2" dia. x .040 x 7/8" bore
Random Products flap discs - Zirconia Flap Discs (60 grit) - 4 1/2" O.D. x 7/8" bore

You can find any of these wheels at local industrial fastener suppliers (like Fastenal).
What I have listed is what we have found over the years works best for various metal fabrication, since we specialize in stainless steel fabrications.

mikey
03-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I use a snapon center cut pnuematic shear ingersoll rand air saw an mac or ingersoll straight die grinder. If I'm in a hurry and just making a rough cut hole that is rather large I use a snapon ph50e air hammer be careful though it'll cut throuh 3 layers of sheetmetal with no effort.