PDA

View Full Version : Used 2 x 2 x 1/8" wall tubing. Need any?

astroracer
02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
I just called a guy who is advertising the above tubing, used, for sale. 100" (over 8') pieces for $7.50 ea. It has been painted and torched off at both ends and he has around 1800 pieces. Online retail is about $40 bucks... He also has some 3/8 x 6" x 66" lg plate.
I will be making a run Sat. morning to check it out and pick some up if it is usable. This is near Flint so it's not a bad drive from the Detroit area if you want to save some money...
If anyone else is interested let me know and I'll report back with quality and seller info.
Mark

bretcopsey
02-17-2006, 08:46 AM
I might be interested in the plate. Do you know if he'll sell by the foot, or is it all or nothing?

Matt@RFR
02-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Just a warning on that 3/8 x 6 x 66 plate...if it was sheered to that size, depending on the shear condition, there's a good chance that the plate is nowhere near flat.

JMarsa
02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Mark,

How did you make out with the tubing?

--JMarsa

astroracer
02-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Mark,

How did you make out with the tubing?

--JMarsa

I picked up 30 sticks. It is salvaged from material racks. It was painted and has a bit of surface scale but is entirely usable. I would never use it in a chassis build (maybe for a crossmember...) but it is good enough for a welding table or two and general fabricating of jigs and stuff.
I got a couple pieces of the 3/8ths plate also. Matt was right, I had to sort through a few to get flat ones. I am glad he mentioned it as I would have just grabbed the first two on the pile and they both had a nice 1/2"-3/4" bow in them...
I will keep in touch with this guy as he runs a salvage company and never knows what he'll have from week to week...
If anyone wants his number PM me.
Mark

JMarsa
02-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Mark,

Check you PM's.

--JMarsa