PDA

View Full Version : Explorer rear questions

wiedemab
02-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I've recently acquired two explorer rear axles. One of them has the driver's side axle tube and axle bent. The other one is almost brand new. The driveline is offset about 4" to one side.

My thought or question is - Can I drill out the welds (Looks to be plug welded) that thold the axle tubes to the center section and use two short side axle tubes and axles to make a narrower (by about 4") axle with close to center driveline. If I can do this, I should be able to use two of the same length axles???? I'm not sure on this one because I'm not sure if the carrier is offset.

I'm basically looking to have a fairly narrow 8.8 31 spline w/ discs for a future project.

I'm sure I would probably need buy or borrow a fixture to square the axle tubes.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Brandon

bretcopsey
02-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Brandon, Currie sells this "alignment bar" for 9" rears. Don't know if that was what you were thinking of?

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CEStore/Product596.aspx?id=2150

wiedemab
02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
That's the type of tool that I was talking about. I called Dutchman to ask about their tool. The don't recommend narrowing a rear and reataining the c-clips.

I would probably end up putting different axle ends on anyway. I tend to come up with these ideas that I think are great and usually someone else has already thought of them, but has a better way. That's why I ask though. Better usually means more money though.

Bluesman
08-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Found this thread on a search. Someone told me that an Explorer 8.8" is a near drop-in for my '71 Nova project. Then someone else said they are offset. Are they all offset? Did they all come with posi- or just the 4x4 versions? Has anyone on this forum tried this swap?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave

Texas Hotrod
08-27-2006, 04:26 PM
The axle tubes are pernament in the housing, or at least I'm pretty sure that they are.
I have narrowed several 9" housings by shortening the tube at the bearing flanges.
Use a pipe cutter to section out the proper amount. Remove tubing between the wheel bearing pocket and the end of the tube. Mark the clock position of the flange and make sure it's square and properly welded.

I know how you feel.
I have about 3 lifetimes of projects sitting in my parking lot.

chicane67
08-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes you can drill them out..... but you will need a 60+ ton press to re-install the (any) tubes back into the cast center section.

No matter what you end up doing the pinion centerline needs to be about 1.5" offset to the passengerside, from chassis/housing centerline.

And finally, yes you can use the short axle's on both sides. 4" isnt really a lot.... but just the idea of getting rid of c-clips is worth the money and effort while you are going as far as replacing/narrowing the housing itself. It would be a better idea to just narrow the housing you have with the current tube lengths and cut the to the need length and then use an aftermarket housing end with a press-on style axle bearing. You will end up spending the same money, and doing it right the first time.