PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass doors

Stoker420
02-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Is there a company that makes street legal fiberglass doors that use the stock glass and hardware? Or at least just street legal?

It's for a 68 firebird, I need fenders also but I think they are pritty much street legal right?

trackrat79
02-17-2006, 04:18 PM
I think they make doors. There is no such thing as street legal fiberglass anything. There is fiberglass made for street but as for dot legal i dont thinl it exists.

BonzoHansen
02-17-2006, 06:08 PM
No way street on the doors. The doors are a big part of the unibody. Go read through the sticky at the top of the General Tech & Safety forum.

Stoker420
02-18-2006, 06:06 AM
ok I will read the sticky about that, didn't know there was one on this stuff. I have plastic doors onm my 01 TA weird that I can't have fiberglass doors oon the 68 but oh well I guess I'll make due with the steel doors.

justforfun
02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
ok I will read the sticky about that, didn't know there was one on this stuff. I have plastic doors onm my 01 TA weird that I can't have fiberglass doors oon the 68 but oh well I guess I'll make due with the steel doors.

Doors on your 01 TA are fiberglass, but look inside and you will see round steel tubing that runs the length of the door which actually makes the door safer than what came on your 68.

Stoker420
02-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Oh is that what those bars were for, I took them out to go fasterhttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MarkM66
02-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Just put a cage it it.

Travis B
02-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Doors on your 01 TA are fiberglass, but look inside and you will see round steel tubing that runs the length of the door which actually makes the door safer than what came on your 68.

Those bars are acutally super High strenght steel when bent or broken cannot be repaired or welded on.....you could run into big time legal problems if did actually take them out and sold the car to. Be sure and let the new owner know if you ever sell the car....that bar is the only thing between you and another car should you get hit!

rocketman
02-20-2006, 08:46 AM
vfn,glasstek,hairys glass,all make fiberglass doors,and fenders.use your judgement on them they are for dr use.

why would you,take the tube out of a camaro door,they dont weigth nothing.

Stoker420
02-21-2006, 12:49 AM
15 lbs and they are in the car I take some things out when I get serious at the track with that car.

I'm setting up my 68 FB for racing that will have a 10point but I want it to be street legal so I guess FG is out. I just don't want to go over the 1600lbs max for IHRA. So I'm thinking that if I make a removeable sub box that I was going to put in the rear with the amp and what not that should cut down some of the weight. I was thinking about an Vitage air system and powere windows I guess I can keep it under 1600.
It is getting a lsX iron block with Al. heads with an TH400, or some other auto trans. Stock front frame with the coilover conversion from DSE and their 4 link, track9 rear, and mini tubs and SFC.

Travis B
02-21-2006, 08:15 AM
15 lbs and they are in the car I take some things out when I get serious at the track with that car.

we may be talking about different bars....the SHSS bars in the doors are spot welded to the inner structur in several places and would be nearly impossible to get out unless you just cut them out! And there is no way they 15lbs more like 4 or 5lbs

MarkM66
02-22-2006, 02:24 PM

I'm setting up my 68 FB for racing that will have a 10point but I want it to be street legal so I guess FG is out. I just don't want to go over the 1600lbs max for IHRA. So I'm thinking that if I make a removeable sub box that I was going to put in the rear with the amp and what not that should cut down some of the weight. I was thinking about an Vitage air system and powere windows I guess I can keep it under 1600.
It is getting a lsX iron block with Al. heads with an TH400, or some other auto trans. Stock front frame with the coilover conversion from DSE and their 4 link, track9 rear, and mini tubs and SFC.

1600lbs.?? On the front wheels, or the rear?

Stoker420
02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
opps sorry 3600 is the IHRA weight limit.