PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Hardlines

68BNUT
10-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Hey I have a 68 camaro with drums all around and im doing the 4thgen swap on the rear brakes, Question is what did you all who have done this swap did you just buy new hardlines and flex hoses or did you just cut the existing hard lines back and re use them??? If you did replace the rear hard lines got any part numbers for the lines steal and the flex ones?? anybody make a kit for this swap??
THanks for the help in advance

baz67
10-03-2004, 07:10 PM
There are many aftermarket compainies that make the first gen hard lines. Classic and Inline Tube come to mind. When I was helping Tito on one of his cars he had one from Inline Tube and it fit great. Spend the 100 and not worry about it. Also, get the steel braided flex line. It will help greatly in the feel of the overall brake system.
Brian

68BNUT
10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Anybody whos done the late model camaro brakes on your first gen did you have to get a Kit to hook up the late model calipers or did the hard line reach??? on the back axle?? :help!: :dunno:

zman1969
12-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Dont know if your done on this project yet - im still woring on my swap - i bought a classic tube whole line kit for my 69 bird , : ls1 frt and rear brakes with ls1 booster and master cyl rec'd it late nov but havent had time since x-mas and all to install it but if you still need i'll let you know . oh btw, im in lewisville
Rich :firefire:

Salt Racer
12-22-2004, 04:30 PM
...or did the hard line reach??? on the back axle?? :help!: :dunno:

Don't do this. Use braided lines between the calipers and the hardline. Calipers will vibrate unless rotors are pefectly true and flat - you need something to dampen it. On top of that, OE Camaro calipers are floaters - they move laterally as you squeeze the brake pedal (also as the pads wear down). Properly done, good steel lines may live but brake is something you don't want to take a chance on.

Besides all that, changing pads will be biatch (you'll have to unhook the line, take the calipers off, change pads, and bleed the system). I learned it the hard way.

CarlC
12-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Check here for some basics.

http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

I went the full AN route. Welded a mounting tab on the top of the outboard axle tube and mounted a bulkhead union. Stainless hardline from the splitter block to the tabs and -3 Russell stainless flex lines.