PDA

View Full Version : Summit radiator Questions 72 Nova. Need to order in the morning.

LowBuckX
02-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Im About to get a Summit direct fit or just a plain Summit rad. My questions are as follows.

1) Is it safe to run an external cooler with out the radiator mounted (internal) cooler. To clarify... Can I get sufficiant cooling with "JUST" a good external cooler?
(TH350 2800 stall 3;73 gearing)
reason I ask is Id like to get a rad a smidge wider than the Direct fit but that doesnt come with a built in cooler.

2) anyone running a Direct fit Summit rad in their 3rd gen ?

thanks

HILROD
02-18-2006, 07:53 AM
I worked at a trans shop for a while. It was explained to me that the internal cooler helps warm up the cold trans at first then cools it to engine temp so the external cooler can cool it further. FRANK

Neil B
02-20-2006, 09:55 PM
2) anyone running a Direct fit Summit rad in their 3rd gen

I put a Summit Direct-Fit radiator in my 3rd Gen that has a 427 big block. It's actually made by Northern and the quality is excellent. The only mods required were:

1) There is a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. The copper plug had to be cut down to allow the radiator to sit level.

2) The plastic fan shroud/hold down on top of the radiator had to be modified to fit over the larger core.

--Neil

LowBuckX
02-22-2006, 01:46 AM
I ended up going with the 27x19 universal .. Also made by northern. I bought a huge tube type tranny cooler and used my old cooler for a steering cooler. Thannks guys.