PDA

View Full Version : 9 inch setup for Camaro

rmkman
02-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I recieved a free 9 inch from a guy at work. I believe it is out of an old 4x4 truck. To install it in my Camaro what should I look for? It needs the housing narrowed and different axles. Should I find the ends of a Chevy rear for the brakes to bolt onto and have the machine shop weld them on? If anyone has done this before let me know please. I am trying to do it as cheep as possible. Need to use my same drum brakes and wheels and tires. Thanks Ty

rocketman
02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
the 4x4 9in is a high pinion an di dont think will work.you need one out of a car.

Josh
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I have never heard of a high pinion 9" before. 9" diffs have had about the same achitecture from 1960 to 1980. Most cores come from trucks.
Narrowing the housing is not a "do it yourself "job unless you are a fabricator with knowlege of welding and jig building.
I would have it narrowed with new Ford ends (to eliminated the need of C clips), run ford style brakes (lots of aftermarket goodies for this) and pony up for alloy axles with a chevy bolt pattern. You will have a bullet proof rear end with an Eaton or Powertrax posi!
My housing was from a first gen Bronco and did not need to be narrowed, only new spring perches welded. Good Luck.

67bird
03-25-2006, 03:35 PM
High pinion 9" axles are from the aftermarket from what I have seen. Check out the Currie or the Moser catalog. This will give ideas on what you need. These places also do the work that you are looking to get done. If the housing width is a concern just buy one that is already done. I have seen them on Ebay from $300.00 on up. Also double check the spline count on your axles. The 9' could have either 28 or 31 spline. I am not an expert but I think the truck axles were all 31 spline.