PDA

View Full Version : Centering Differential

Patrick
02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a 9" housing that I am trying to set up (get it positioned correctly side to side, and get the pinion angle) before it is loaded with gears and axles.

I know the center point on the differential needs to be at the center point of the car. I mocked it up and took measurements from the center of the differential to the inside of the leaf springs. Once these were equal, I took measurements using plumb hanging on the lip of wheel well. I did this on each side. The measurements are off by about a 1/4". Soooo- either the leaf springs are off a bit or the quarter panels are off a bit or they are both off. I do not want to weld the DSE Axle Mount in the wrong place and I dont have much room for error!!!

So do I suck it up and finish building the axle completely, mount the wheels and then position it. This would then mean pulling it completly apart to weld it up and paint it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Patrick
02-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Bueller........ Bueller......... Bueller.........Anyone.........Anyone.......Anyone

syborg tt
02-17-2006, 07:06 AM
So do I suck it up and finish building the axle completely, mount the wheels and then position it. This would then mean pulling it completly apart to weld it up and paint it.

I would fully assemble it and then weld it. Make sure when you weld it not to overheat the axle tube and warp it. I would strongly suggest getting a fixture to keep the tube from warping also.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

wiedemab
02-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Where did you buy your fixture? Dutchman?

I may pony up the dough for one in the future.

syborg tt
02-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Dave the owner of the shop made the fixture. However i am certain that someone has to sell it. If not maybe he should make it and sell it

bretcopsey
02-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Ummm, Patrick?

I "believe" the origional Camaro housing has the pinion offset towards the pass side by 1/2"-1". I think this was done to neutralize harmonics?

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there before sparks start flying. You might try contacting Freddie Byars "big gear head" on www.camaros.net (http://www.camaros.net) to see what he has to say about it?

B Schein
02-17-2006, 08:38 AM
You normal want a universal to rotate in both directions that way the needles spin. At least that is I was taught and most oem stuff is has a slight offset to the side so there must be a good reason behind it.

Patrick
02-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the responses. Since I have very little room for error, I am going to load it with the axles and mount the wheels. I can then tack the mounts in place- remove it and put it in a fixture to finish welding. A little more work, but worth it in the long run.

airrj1
02-19-2006, 06:43 PM
You normal want a universal to rotate in both directions that way the needles spin. At least that is I was taught and most oem stuff is has a slight offset to the side so there must be a good reason behind it.

What would a "slight offset" be in your opinion? My Chevelle rear is offset by .750" and my 9-inch housing that I am working on is 2" offset. Any problems with that? The Chevelle driveshaft is very long 54"+ long. So the angle difference would be very minimal.

redss86
07-24-2006, 04:54 AM
What would a "slight offset" be in your opinion? My Chevelle rear is offset by .750" and my 9-inch housing that I am working on is 2" offset. Any problems with that? The Chevelle driveshaft is very long 54"+ long. So the angle difference would be very minimal.

I would definetly change that offset from 2in. You must have gotten that housing out of a truck? They were all offset 2in, but so was the engine/trans. The reason they did that was so the axles were both the same length. I think you may have definite u-joint problems w/ 2in offset.

Just my .02,
Joe