PDA

View Full Version : square tube oval driveshaft loop

buddyleerc512001
02-16-2006, 07:05 PM
looking for square tubing formed into an oval that can be used for driveshaft loop
ive seen it before but dont know where to get it
any ideas??????????????????

bonesfab
02-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Any of the big chassis shops. Chassis works is where I got one before. jim

buddyleerc512001
02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
anyone else besides alston?
ive searched, but havent found others?

anybody

just looking for different ideas?

RobM
03-04-2006, 09:24 PM
most fab shops with benders could make you one for most likely a cheep price.

buddyleerc512001
03-05-2006, 05:24 AM
do you know of any shops that will bend the loops?
havent had much luck. will probably use the ones from alston

chris

Jim Nilsen
03-05-2006, 07:51 AM
You can make it with a bit of welding and when I look at the one you are probably refering to they probably made it the way I am going to describe to you.

Take some 1/8in.flat sheet stock and make 2 pcs.the shape you want the radius of the arch to be and the width you want it to be. If you want it 1in. ,1 1/4in.n or 1 1/2 in. is all up to you and then use the corresponding flat stock and start welding it to the the 2 pieces of the flat stock. Start in the straight area and then begin to bend it around the arc. If needed you can heat it with a torch to soften it up and keep going around until you will have a square tube with a radius. You can use many tack welds and then go back and fill in the spaces or weld it as you go around. Put some spacer blocks in between the 2 flat pieces and clamp them on a bench or do it in a vise to keep them parallel. Remember that a bigger hammer is needed to bend the steel unless you use a torch. The piece you are bending around the radius should be much longer than you need so you can have some leverage to bend it around and then cut it when you are at the other end exactly at the finish point. Also remember that 1in. flat stock plus the 1/8in. flat when butted up so you can weld the corner at the fully exposed edge will equal 1 1/4in. This is also why some spacers are required if you want things to match up with the other square tubing.

Bending square tubing usually distorts it and it will collapes in around the radius so the way I have described is the way Iwould make the piece anyway. You then go back and grind and sand it to be smooth around the edges.

I hope you understand what I am saying and if you don't just ask and I will try to explain it further.

Jim Nilsen

Damn True
03-06-2006, 10:17 PM
How about this?

Found the pic on Metal Works website.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

buddyleerc512001
03-07-2006, 04:57 AM
that is perfect. do you have a website for them?

thanks

Twin_Turbo
03-07-2006, 05:21 AM
Picture URL tells me it's http://www.metalworksperformance.com/ ...that's a very nice loop!

Damn True
03-07-2006, 06:22 AM
that is perfect. do you have a website for them?

thanks

Site sponsor. Look to the right of the page.