PDA

View Full Version : alternative to chrome window trim

FJB2069
02-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know of an alternative to using the chrome window trim on the front and rear windows of a 69?

I would like to use a more modern rubber style trim, but haven't found anything the will work.

Travis B
02-16-2006, 08:50 AM
you have to build up window openings to make the window fit with only rubber....

I plan to do this to my car...

DJW32
02-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Travis,
How do you build up the window openings? I'm not a huge fan of chrome, so this would be perfect

TonyL
02-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Lexan windows. Its cheaper than you think. And they can be made to fit real tight in the openings with only push in bead and beutle(sp?) tape. to hold it in.

I think there's a few members that have done this, and are doing this. John parsons is one of em. PM him to ask him about it. I think he's on vacation.

give's the look of "flush mount" glass.

Travis B
02-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Travis,
How do you build up the window openings? I'm not a huge fan of chrome, so this would be perfect

I am not a fan of lexan..the stuff JP is using is slightly different than regualar lexan but I am not going that route until he has installed his glass. The way I have seen it done is to build up the openings with metal and weld it all in place time consuming and tideous but the end results are worth it...I have some pics of a member that did this on his chevyII and documented it but they are on my PC at home I can get them for you tomorrow

TonyL
02-16-2006, 09:14 AM
you are correct. Here's the thread that deals with the subject. (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4037&highlight=flush+windows)

FJB2069
02-16-2006, 09:26 AM
you have to build up window openings to make the window fit with only rubber....

I plan to do this to my car...

Are you going to weld in strips around the window base about .25" tall?

DJW32
02-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Will someone post a pic, please. I can't find one...thanks

nekkidhillbilly
02-17-2006, 12:24 AM
paint the stailess trim flat black looks like new car windows and is inexpensive

AndyB
02-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Was the trim on Poison Dart black? I remember seeing a car done with all the trim coated black and I thought it looked good.

Z06killinSBF
02-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Check the Camaro in my other post. It has black trim.

B Schein
02-17-2006, 06:47 PM
My personal opinion on the trim painted black is that it looks dumb. Take the time and flush mount the windows it will be worth in the long run.

The one thing that I am going to redo on my car is to cut radius on the top of the windshield similar to a modern car the original windshield shape is to square and doesn’t look right. To cut the glass you can find some old school dude who knows how to cut safety glass or do like I am and get the corners cut off by a water jet.

FJB2069
02-18-2006, 06:18 AM
My personal opinion on the trim painted black is that it looks dumb. Take the time and flush mount the windows it will be worth in the long run.

The one thing that I am going to redo on my car is to cut radius on the top of the windshield similar to a modern car the original windshield shape is to square and doesn’t look right. To cut the glass you can find some old school dude who knows how to cut safety glass or do like I am and get the corners cut off by a water jet.

Brian,
How did you modify your rear window to allow for the rubber molding?

B Schein
02-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I had to add metal to make the opening smaller. Approximately 1/4 to the top and 3/16 on each side. I also had to change the shape of the roof by adding metal to make it taller along with liberal amounts of body filler.

FJB2069
02-20-2006, 06:11 AM
I had to add metal to make the opening smaller. Approximately 1/4 to the top and 3/16 on each side. I also had to change the shape of the roof by adding metal to make it taller along with liberal amounts of body filler.

I am thinking of doing what you did accept trying to leave an 1/8" gap all the way around and not using any rubber gaskets. DO you see any issues with that?

Travis B
02-20-2006, 06:11 AM

very cool....nice work! Shrinker stretcher to make that peice??????

B Schein
02-20-2006, 06:04 PM
The top peace is just a piece of 1 by 1/4 cold roll flat bar that I bent with my bare hands, around the welding tank, my keen, a small tree in my front yard and anything else that I though would work. The ends were much longer were the radius drops down I cut them off after I had it bent right. Like I said I had to add metal to the top of the roof so it had the same curvature of the glass. I also had to use liberal amounts of fiberglass and topcoat to get it right. I guess you could do it with no rubber trim but it would take allot more finish work in the window channels

Also make sure you weld the metal on the body side completely other wise ghost lines will show up over time

Travis B
02-21-2006, 08:21 AM
The top peace is just a piece of 1 by 1/4 cold roll flat bar that I bent with my bare hands, around the welding tank, my keen, a small tree in my front yard and anything else that I though would work. The ends were much longer were the radius drops down I cut them off after I had it bent right. Like I said I had to add metal to the top of the roof so it had the same curvature of the glass. I also had to use liberal amounts of fiberglass and topcoat to get it right. I guess you could do it with no rubber trim but it would take allot more finish work in the window channels

Also make sure you weld the metal on the body side completely other wise ghost lines will show up over time

ok just looked at that pic again...I was looking at it wrong. So 1/4in all the way around took up enough room to make the glass work? I have heard when guys do this they have to recontour the opening and surroundling sheetmetal some which is no problem! good pics man thanks